Carp Anglers Group Forums
tangledline

Fishing Banned In All Toronto Parks Along Lake Ontario

the above corespondence with councillors and tpa was in place and we thought they were negotiating more fishing areas beyond the parks....but the executive committee (rob fords buddies)

took us all by surprise....we have a problem thay council members are on board of directors for harbourfront centre, parks and recreation and toronto port authority we are getting clobbered

every step of the way....we let off the gas pedal for two months at the request of our friends at tpa and the city councillors supporting us.....that was a bleeping mistake that i acredit to myself

our supportive city councillors and tpa friends were stunned by the news....we still have no idea what has happened and what may still happen......we are in some serious mess......

desperate times call for desperate messures but preferably legal ones.....

nofishing001.jpg

so they went to all the trouble to change the city laws to allow the sportsman show at exhibition place again.....

so we write all the fishing manufacturers, retailers, pros and say that all the people who fish in toronto will boycott the sportsman show

we can build a huge movement by next spring....i know we will do everything we can to fix it b4 then but this is a worst case strategy

This item will be considered by Executive Committee on June 12, 2012. It will be considered by City Council on July 11, 2012, subject to the actions of the Executive Committee.

Executive Committee consideration on June 12, 2012

(Deferred from May 14, 2012 - 2012.EX20.18)

EX21.33 ACTION

Ward:All

"Gone fishin' " - Motion MM22.11 referred City Council on April 10 and 11, 2012

Origin

(April 16, 2012) Member Motion from Councillor Paula Fletcher, seconded by Councillor Adam Vaughan

Recommendations

Councillor Paula Fletcher, seconded by Councillor Adam Vaughan, recommends that:

1. City Council request that all public bodies along the lakeshore within City limits refrain from interfering with sport fishing unless the activity compromises public safety.

2. City Council establish as much as possible of the central waterfront as a 'Gone Fishing' zone.

3. City Council request the City Solicitor to review the legality of any newly‑enforced restrictions which hinder citizens from enjoying sport fishing in locations where this has been permitted in the past.

Summary

Recently, restrictions on public fishing have been enacted along portions of Toronto's waterfront, with fishing restricted to areas designated by posted signage. This is counter to existing policy permitting urban fishing in the City of Toronto provided there is no signage prohibiting fishing.

Fishing is an activity enjoyed by thousands of Torontonians every year. The right to fish can be reasonably restricted for purposes of safety at particular locations, but a patchwork of new enforcement, apparently unrelated to public safety, poses the risk that the lakeshore will be effectively taken from the public realm, enjoyed by all, to a private preserve. As a lakefront City Toronto needs to protect the right of residents to fish in Lake Ontario from public property.

(Submitted to City Council on April 10 and 11, 2012 as MM22.11)

Background Information

Thanks for following up on this topic and contacting the people involved. we neeed to take this head on ( Legally ) and get things set straight, who knows if we keep quiet we may lose all bodies of water for fishing!

Toronto city parks General manager 416-392-8182

Be polite, please take 2 minutes out of your day and call. Ask the admin to connect you with someone who can explain the reason for the new no fishing ban, which parks are affected and why there was no public consultation.

Two minutes out of your day to let them know this is not going past easily. Thanks!

Fishes of Toronto book lauch featuring Dave Chong from Fish City -june 12

its a book launch

its a question and answer session about fishing in Toronto

lots of key people will be there....

even Wil Wegman of the mnr

its a celebration of fishing Toronto in its darkest hour...

if you are ever gonna come out to get involved in protecting our right to fish....this is the beginning of the battle

the assembly of the troops.....

you need to make the effort to participate.....please
Edited by tangledline

we are in the process of re-contacting media

we are still assembling the facts

we are still figuring out who did what to allow this to happen.

there are only so many hours in the day around work

So.... "sources" at city hall are telling me that the original exec committee meeting was delayed in order that Harbourfront Centre directors who are also on the City Exec council would have time to go down to the parks Dept on the 4th floor and setup no fishing signs. So even if the now useless gone fishing motion passes, the existing signage stays in place.

mike h

the councillors can over ride the parks and rec codes....its just a longer drawn out process

Guest BCLT

toronto is fish city.............just dont go fishing!

At a time where businesses are struggling and the city needs taxes............no fishing, no buying fishing gear, no traveling to go fishing, no lunches during fishing.............

NO FUN lol

Oh ya, and no plastic bags either

Fishes of Toronto book lauch featuring Dave Chong from Fish City -june 12

its a book launch

its a question and answer session about fishing in Toronto

lots of key people will be there....

even Wil Wegman of the mnr

its a celebration of fishing Toronto in its darkest hour...

if you are ever gonna come out to get involved in protecting our right to fish....this is the beginning of the battle

the assembly of the troops.....

you need to make the effort to participate.....please

Well said, this is the best time to let them hear our voices!

Blame the ice fishermen.....they are the ones who were drilling holes in the mapleleaf's hockey rink.

That set a bad precedent for all anglers!

Thats one BAD joke for the BAD joke that Toronto anglers find themselves in. :blush::angry:

Best of luck at your sit in/protest/civil action.

If you get nowhere in the political arena, stage a massive fish-in (like a sit-in) protest!

My area has the Hudson river , 95% of it isn't legal to fish . we do . Welcome to the new world order ;) Train tracks run from albany to nyc , crossing tracks is strictly illegal . that cancels out the whole tidal section . Fishing still finds a way , it's been here since the dawn of time no pencil pushin geek will ever eradicate it .

If I lived in Toronto I'd fish regardless of the signs...all I would get is a slap on the wrist, 'bless the youth justice system! ;)

dude those fish are right down the street from me......two big blocks .....bet you ther is no park security at the pool tonight....cause they have all been re-assigned to guard the prohibited fishing signs so they are not taken down or artwork added to them.....that allows me to fish the pool unimpeded.....

the rainbow trout are mine all mine.....ok yes this no fishing crap is making me crazy..

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...13392094925941

the following is a toronto sun article june10 about our battle...

it covers both sides and i do not like the deputy mayor claiming he has not heard our side!!!!

but here is the article first of many to come this week....hold on to your socks ladies things in the news are gonna become a whirl wind.

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/06/10/fishing-fight-on-the-waterfront

Its on the News guys and girls and looks like we have tons of support! Its up to us to keep the pressure against those idiots who come up with such foolish laws! I have written to every news channel asking them to look into this and find out the motives behind it. :thewave:

Cp24 news states the ban onfishing in City of Toronto Parks is from Urwin Avenue @ the entrance to the spit all the way to Etobicoke...otherside of Humber Bay Park.....june11 2012

to complain call 416 338 5058 now....its the City of Toronto Parks complaint line

#### them, good thing i moved from that ####y city

seriously now....if they succeed in beating us in Toronto.....it will (not could) happen in City of Hamilton the city i was born in.....

protect your fishing rights....protect the enviroment with even more passion....or you too will have lost everything you hold dear.....

news

fishing prohibition made the following media today

cp24 tv news

the Toronto Sun front page and page 3

Sun news tv

680 news

i also did three interviews for tv and newspaper for tommorrow.

we are fighting like we fish....relentlessly....