Carp Anglers Group Forums
  • Announcements

Sign in to follow this  
(IL) CHIBIGTEE

1St Day Info

Checked out venue today. The Fullerton Ave. bridge is out over the canal. If you come via Lake Shore Drive, You'll have to use Belmont exit north or North Ave. to the south. Parking at the zoo is fine. Also, it's going to be VERY hot. Middle 90's and humid. I'll have water as usual and cookies. Bring extra water just in case. Draw will be 6:30 near peg 1. Bring your scales so we can cut down the running between pegs to check fish. See you in the morning. later

I think Fullerton was shut down on Saturday due to the move of the Children's Hospital. I'm thinking it might be open in the morning.

Will there be a big fish pot or total weight pot?

Good luck to all. Looking forward to session 1 of WCCL 2012.--Frank

WCCL 2012 website

I hope there will be 2 pots. Im competitive and doing this for the money.

NASTY! :D:lol::D

Well its 3am, and im awake to go carpin. Whats wrong with this picture?

You're messed up! :D:P:D

Save us some parking spots.

Tracy (CHIBIGTEE) Jourdan's Windy City Carp League began today with 16 anglers. Tracy will provide more info. and pics, but here is a start with section standings and a link to first week results. We are on a point system this year.--Frank

June 10, 2012 Windy City Carp League Inaugural Session at Lincoln Park Rowing Lagoon

Section A

First—Juan Serrano, Peg 2, 133-10, 10 fish, currently 3rd overall, 4 pts.

Second—Darren Calver, Peg 1, 103-4, 7 fish, currently 6th overall, 3 pts.

Third—Mihai Aciu, Peg 3, 93-7, 6 fish, currently 9th overall (big fish angler at 27-12), 2 pts.

Fourth—Istvan Gyori, Peg 4, 50-2, 3 fish, currently 13th overall, 1 pt.

Section B

First—Mike Olinger, Peg 7, 142-12, 10 fish, currently 2nd overall, (high total weight on 6/10/12), 4 pts.

Second—Larry Seeman, Peg 5, 133-8, 10 fish, currently 8th overall, 3 pts.

Third—Marcin Szydlowski, Peg 8, 131-5, 11 fish, currently 10th overall, 2 pts.

Fourth—Paul Dinea, Peg 6, 60-7, 6 fish, currently 15th overall, 1 pt.

Section C

First—Frank Rink, Peg 12, 95-8, 8 fish, currently 4th overall, 4 pts.

Second—Bogdan Bucur, Peg 10, 42-6, 3 fish, currently 7th overall, 3 pts.

Third—Ioan Iacob, Peg 9, 21-12, 2 fish, currently 11th overall, 2 pts.

Fourth—Paul Wells, No show, currently 16th overall, 0 pts.

Section D

First—Andy Burnagiel, Peg 13, 32-4, 2 fish, currently 1st overall, 4 pts.

Second—Dan Ramir, Peg 14, 29-12, 2 fish, currently 5th overall, 3 pts.

Third—Ed Montgomery, Peg 15, 28-12, 3 fish, currently 12th overall, 2 pts.

Fourth—Adam Charns, Peg 16, 11-0, 1 fish, currently 14th overall, 1 pt.

Click here for more result details at the 2012 WCCL website

Good Job all you guys !!!

Fantastic work Andy Burnagiel !!!

Next great results and next great representing Polonia Carp Team buddy !!!

It was a great day at the lagoon. The venue finally lived up to its reputation on June 10:

A. 84 fish were caught weighing 1,110 pounds for a 13 lb., 3.4 oz. average!

B. Eight fish exceeded 20 pounds!

C. All participants caught fish!

D. Sections were highly competitive. Less than 4 pounds separated first from third place in Section D. Less than 11 pounds separated first from third place in Section B.

E. The two northern sections held more fish than the two southern sections, but Tracy's point system/section system addressed those variances quite well.

Photos coming later today. I think others took some pictures as well. Looking forward to the Jackson Harbor session on June 24.--Frank

Click here for the 2012 Windy City Carp League website!

Thanks Frank. :bigsmile: I feel asleep shortly after getting home. I'll have the write-up and pictures later

In case anyone is wondering how places are decided. Average of your top 10 fish will separate any ties. Andy had 4 points but only had 2 fish for a 16-2 avg. So yes, you don't have to catch the most fish but sure helps. later

Hi Tracy, thanks for beginning to explain the how the places are decided, but I'm still totally confused! What is the determining factor in winning the League overall? You said in the previous post that it sure helps to catch the most fish, but I'm not sure it does. If average weight of fish is more important than either number of fish, or total weight of fish, then surely it would be better to only submit larger fish and throw smaller ones back without even weighing them. If I only submitted my 2 largest fish from yesterday, then I would have an average of 16lbs 2 ozs and be in joint first place, but I'm now in 6th because I submitted all 7 fish that I caught.

Darren--Average weight is only a tie-breaker for those with the same number of points. Section winners' points are still determined by total weight, so your 3 points for second place total weight in your section would have been fewer had you thrown fish back. In addition, average weights don't mean a lot early in the series, as the tiebreaker is your heaviest 10. Once more fish are caught, there will not be an advantage to catching fewer fish to potentially increase your average. It's still early, and everyone still has a good shot at a top 3 finish.--Frank

I was in the southern sections of the WCCL session on June 10, so here are some photos from those sections. I am sure those from the north end will post more later.--Frank

Section D winner and overall league leader Andy Burnagiel is well prepared

wccl2012_ab_peg13.jpg

Section C 2nd place winner Bogdan Bucur with fish-on and help from Ioan Iacob on the net

wccl2012_bogdan_jacob_net_061012.jpg

Bogdan Bucur with a 20+

wccl2012_bb_2012_net.jpg

Section D 2nd place winner Dan Ramir brings one in with help from Adam Charns

wccl2012_dan_adam_netting.jpg

Dan Ramir with a long 20+

wccl2012_dr_061012_2012.jpg

Ed Montgomery fighting a rowing lagoon carp with net help from Dan Ramir

wccl2012_ed_dan_061012.jpg

Ed Montgomery and a double digit fish

wccl2012_em_061012_eleven_plus.jpg

Andy Burnagiel with a 9+

wccl2012_ab_mat_ninepounder.jpg

Bogdan Bucur with a nice fish but wrong species

wccl2012_bb_catfish.jpg

Section C winner Frank Rink with an 18-10

wccl2012_fr_061012_1810.jpg

Click here for 2012 WCCL website

Darren, it's a marathon. Just like a marathon, everyone starts at the same starting line but it can be congested at the begining. After a little while the stampede thins out and the front runners are a little easier to see. Once everyone has 10 fish caught and then start to cull the smaller weights, the avg. will be easier to see and harder to change. Just remember, 4 points per event is the most you and 3 other section winners can have. 5 events means one carper could have 20 points at the end. If someone else has 20 points also, it's the average of those 10 biggest fish that will separate them or even more than 2. Hope this helps. later

Darren I was confused also. I woke up this morning think I was going to see my name in 5th or 6th place, but to my suprise im 8th. I do understand it but seems strange.

But I did find somewhat of a loophole in this scoring system, Im going to try it out on the 24th. ;)

Darren I was confused also. I woke up this morning think I was going to see my name in 5th or 6th place, but to my suprise im 8th. I do understand it but seems strange.

But I did find somewhat of a loophole in this scoring system, Im going to try it out on the 24th. ;)

Don't obsess about average weight at this point or your placement in the standings based on tiebreakers. Current tiebreakers in the standings are relatively meaningless until much later in the series. As more fish are caught and as anglers actually get to ten or more fish, the averages become more meaningful. The series is still based on points, so you better make sure you have a lock on your section before you start throwing fish back. In addition, the tiebreaker is based on your ten heaviest fish, so throwing any fish back, once you get to 10 or more, is fruitless. And, if you finish the whole series with less than 10 fish, you're not going to be among the leaders anyway. I really don't see a loophole in how this works, but maybe someone much more adept at figuring out competition nuances can fill me in. --Frank

Click here for 2012 Windy City Carp League website

I understand how you feel. When I started matchfishing, a similar scoring system is used. Once you get the hang of it, it's pretty fair to all involved as long as you catch fish.

:icon_smoking::lol: Thought i had one anyway.

Yeah, I couldn't see a loophole. The series ends after five sessions, so tiebreakers this early are relatively meaningless other than to provide some early standings for a little website interest. There is only a one-point difference between first and eighth place and only a three-point difference between first and fifteenth. That's all that really matters at this point. It's anybody's ballgame.--Frank

Click here for 2012 Windy City Carp League website