Carp Anglers Group Forums
  • Announcements

Sign in to follow this  
CHIBIGTEE

Wccl 2012 Rd. 4

Hello fellow carpers. The 4th round finally received some nice weather to fish. The previous week was very stormy and the original venue was turned into chocolate milk. We had to use an alternate venue. The Chicago River has been producing fish throughout the very hot weather we had. The Sun-Times venue(used in previous years) has a very nice park along side the river and enough space to spread ourselves out and enjoy the day. We started at 7am and most everyone had fish in the first hour. It was cloudy with a light breeze and temp of 65 degrees to start the day. Life gets busy and a couple weren't feeling well so we didn't have the full league attending, Frank has the actual numbers caught but we caught lots of fish but mostly small. Highest weight of the day was arounf 150lbs. by Mike with Larry and Frank wrestling for 2nd and 3rd. Mike appears to have a head lock on the league championship but strange things seem to happen on the last weekend. See you next month at Diversey Harbor for the final weekend. later

Results – August 12 Windy City Carp League

The Chicago River’s Ashland Avenue venue gave up 77 carp weighing 364 pounds, nine ounces to Windy City Carp League anglers on August 12, 2012. League organizer Tracy Jourdan, although not participating in the points race, added seven fish for an extra 37 pounds, putting us at 84 fish and over 400 pounds for the day!

League leader Mike Olinger maintained his dominance with his fourth section win on a day that saw him weigh 27 fish totaling over 160 pounds. He also caught the big fish of the day at 15-8 (pictured below) and won the high total weight pot. Mike has 16 points going into the final championship day at Diversey Harbor on September 9. A blank session by Mike on September 9 would still have him tied for the league championship assuming the anglers next in line would win their sections. A third place or better finish in his section will have him wearing the 2012 Windy City Carp League crown no matter what anybody else does!

wccl2012_mo_1508_081212.jpg

The angler next in line in league standings is Larry Seeman with 13 points, who finished his day on August 12 with 12 fish weighing 70-7 and three points for second place in his section. Larry (pictured below with a 12+) was second in the total weight pot and has a shot at the overall league championship but will probably battle Bogdan Bucur on September 9 for second place prizes.

wccl2012_ls_12plus_081212.jpg

Being in the right peg at the right time sometimes makes a big difference with the league’s point system. Despite capturing a total of eight fish for the entire league series, Bogdan Bucur currently sits in third place with 13 points in the overall standings. He weighed two fish on August 12 for a total of 10-8, but he finished second in his section for three points.

Dark horses Marcin Szydlowski (16 fish, 47-12, 4 points on August 12) and Frank Rink (17 fish, 61-5, 2 points on August 12) each carry 11 points in the standings and have an outside chance for a third place league finish on September 9. --F. Rink

A few more pics. - Frank

Mihai Aciu is current big fish leader with a hefty 27-12 caught at Lincoln Park's Rowing Lagoon, but, despite "rumors and stories" to the contrary, there weren't a lot of big fish at the Ashland venue on August 12 (average catch was 4-11). Here, Mihai takes a photo of a one pounder.

wccl2012_mihai_1pounder_081212.jpg

Pegs ranged from convenient, comfortable settings to weedy, industrial locations

wccl2012_mihai_peg11_081212.jpg

wccl2012_peg13_industrial_081212.jpg

Click here for the League website and up-to-date standings and stats!

I really like the point system Tracy has implemented for the league this year. Luck of the peg draw is still a factor, but being in closer proximity to those competing for the same points gets it closer to a more valid competition. In the future, I think it would be interesting to simply draw names and have anglers choose their pegs. It further reduces the luck factor and requires a little watercraft knowledge. It also adds a little "chess game" factor into the mix. Those with an early draw would have choice of pegs, but those with a later draw would have some choices about what grouping they would like to be in or avoid. Choosing pegs would also provide a little incentive for being on time for the draw. If you're late, your name doesn't go in the draw bag until you get there, meaning that a late arrival means a late peg choice.

I also know that there is concern about dropouts when they are no longer in contention. I've always maintained that there is more to these events than simply finishing in the money, but perhaps consideration should be given to making each event a separate tournament, similar to what I will do with the Joliet Tournament series this year. The same prizes are still available, but they are spread over five separate tournaments. I would argue that this format would increase participation while maintaining an interest in fishing each event rather than giving up when you have had a bad session or two, as is the case with some current league participants.--Frank

Wow! September going to be a busy month for alot of the Chicago carpers. Sept, 9th WCCL, Sept 22nd Joliet, Sept 29th CCC. Going to stock up on the Boones farm! :icon_smoking:

post-4854-0-49262600-1345031266.jpg

Wow! September going to be a busy month for alot of the Chicago carpers. Sept, 9th WCCL, Sept 22nd Joliet, Sept 29th CCC. Going to stock up on the Boones farm! :icon_smoking:

. . . plus, the White River Carp Derby in Indy on September 12. Lots of opportunities for midwest carpers and a cheap buzz for 911carp. :barf:

:barf:logo_01.gif:barf:

. . . plus, the White River Carp Derby in Indy on September 12. Lots of opportunities for midwest carpers and a cheap buzz for 911carp. :barf:

Theres something Sept 12th?

Frank are you upset I didnt offer you any Boonesfarm? :angry2::icon_smoking:

Frank are you upset I didnt offer you any Boonesfarm? :angry2::icon_smoking:

Not really. MD 20/20, Boones Farm, and Ripple are memories of the distant past. :barf::P:D

Speaking of the past and the future, has anyone heard anything about Ernie's Winter League this year? If last year's schedule is any indication, we are two months away from first session.

Championship Day is just four days away at Diversey. I thought fishing the venue so close in time to the actual competition would not be right, so I fished this morning about a quarter mile south in an area that will not be fished on Sunday. I thought I could get some idea about how the bite might be, but I had a tough time. Most of the morning was spent in the car waiting for a thunderstorm to pass. Most of the remaining time was spent re-rigging after zebra-mussel or submerged metal break-offs. I did manage seven fish in two hours of actual fishing, the biggest being 13-6 and 13-8 (pictured). I know I lost a couple that were substantially bigger. Maybe the bite will result in bigger fish than we have experienced in the past at Diversey. Best of luck to all. See you Sunday.--Frank

toks_fall12_1306_090512.jpg

toks_fall12_1308_090512.jpg

2012 Windy City Carp league website

Tracy--What will be the rod limit on Sunday, Sept. 9: 2 or 3? With the need to cart our stuff to the venue, it would be nice to know ahead of time. Thanks. Good luck to all. The weather looks better than originally forecast. --Frank

2012 Windy City Carp league website

wccl11_tracy_big_fish_winner.jpg

Courtesy of K-1 BAITS !!!!!! We will sponsor the trophyes for windy city carp league along with some k-1 baits/ end zone prizes .post-4650-0-42996400-1346949610_thumb.jp

We have spoked as well with one of the extreme carp fishing sponsors and they will offer four $ 25 vouchers to the winners !!!!

Anglers International Resources

1272 e dundee rd,palatine,il,post-4650-0-29054100-1346949749_thumb.jp

SEE YOU ALL ON SUNDAY !!!

QUICK LOOK AT THE GOODIES :) THOSE ARE THE AWARDS THAT WE HAVE PREPARED FOR : 1ST,2ND,3RD AND BIG FISH :)

post-4650-0-86498600-1346955995_thumb.jp

QUICK LOOK AT THE GOODIES :) THOSE ARE THE AWARDS THAT WE HAVE PREPARED FOR : 1ST,2ND,3RD AND BIG FISH :)

post-4650-0-86498600-1346955995_thumb.jp

Outstanding! Thanks to K-1 and to AIR! See you Sunday.--Frank

Going to be a tough fight for 2nd place through 5th place on Sunday.

Just like last year, Im betting most anglers A bit further down the leaderboard wont show up. Just a fact from the WCCL. Hope they do though.

See everyone Sunday!

post-4854-0-08252200-1347009613.jpg

Going to be a tough fight for 2nd place through 5th place on Sunday.

Just like last year, Im betting most anglers A bit further down the leaderboard wont show up. Just a fact from the WCCL. Hope they do though.

See everyone Sunday!

Unfortunately, Larry, no-shows really wreak havoc on a system determined by points, but I'll be there no matter where I am in the standings; and I hope we get close to our original 16 for the last session at Diversey.

Also unfortunate is the cold front that's supposed to hit us tonight and through the weekend. I would expect the bite to turn off drastically, but I hope I'm wrong.

The weather played games with me this morning as I set up a couple pegs about a quarter mile south of where we will fish on Sunday (and out of what will be the pegged area on Sunday). I was luckiest prior to the 7:30 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. rain with a 26-0, 20-6, and 14-13 (pictured). When the rain came, the bite left; and the weak front that accompanied it also had a negative effect on the bite after the rain left. Oh, well. Looking forward to Sunday no matter what the bite. Good luck to all. I'm afraid we will need it.--Frank

toks_fall12_2600_090712.jpg

toks_fall12_2006_090712.jpg

toks_fall12_1413_090712.jpg

2012 WCCL Website!

wccl_banner_2012.jpg

OH GREAT!!! Tainting the swim for Sunday! Now we're screwed. ;):icon_smoking: :icon_smoking: :icon_smoking: lol

:lol: I told those fish to swim a quarter mile north when I released them, so it's all good. It's my turn for a decent peg draw on Sunday, although the cold front may have all of us struggling. First place is a lock as is big fish, but it could be a battle for 2nd and 3rd. Good luck! --Frank

2012 WCCL Website

wccl_banner_2012.jpg

You boys in the hunt for a top three finish may want to bring a record of your top 10 catches. In case there is a tie, Tracy will need that information to break the tie.