Carp Anglers Group Forums
  • Announcements

Brooklyncarper

A Strange One

Looks like a hellbenders to me, commonly known as a mudpuppy but not actually in that family. They aren't rare but you don't see them

Often. It's particularly grey which you don't usually see. They're normally brown in color.

I agree looks Like a Hellbender Salamander. To me looks like it is dead. Is it ?? If so that would explain the odd color. Looks faded. I meet my first one in PA while trout fishing I was moving rocks to see what insects I could find to figure out what fly to use and got bit by one.

Well actually don it is a salamander, most people think a hellbender and a mudpuppy are te same thing, when in fact they are very different. What you've got there is a mudpuppy, gills and predatory like most large salamanders! You do not see those often!

Which also explains the white belly, hellbenders do not have the white belly and are usually not grey. I will find a link for you.

To the best of my Knowledge Young hellbenders have Gills I beleive it may be one gill slit on each side if I remember correctly these go away with age then they begin to breath thru their skin. They also do have teeth

Muddpuppies have crazy looking gills that look like fingers and hair I do not see that in the picture if its dead that could explain that also

Still would like to know if this thing is alive or dead

Josh, where do these things live at? All over... how comes i never seen any?? Thats a new one to me!! :o

Carpy I was in PA on the Yellow Breeches the first time I seen a Hellbender the only reason I seen him was I moved the rock he was hiding under and touched him and evidently scared him or he thought my finger was edible and he bit me.

All my times fishing the streams in PA I only seen a few they will sit very still and very flat almost impossible to see and they are limited in numbers

Rob, it's dead. And very large. IMHO not a juvenile hellbender, based on the color alone. I've had the privilege of handling both hellbenders and mud puppies and an saw with a fair bit of confidence that it can only be a mudpuppy. You'd hellbenders maintain their color throughout their lifespan. And the gills of a mudpuppy aren't nearly as 'frilly' when out of water.

Rob, it's dead. And very large. IMHO not a juvenile hellbender, based on the color alone. I've had the privilege of handling both hellbenders and mud puppies and an saw with a fair bit of confidence that it can only be a mudpuppy. You'd hellbenders maintain their color throughout their lifespan. And the gills of a mudpuppy aren't nearly as 'frilly' when out of water.

I have seen Muddpuppies but always in the water never seen one out of the water so if the frillyness goes away I concede its probably a Muddpuppy :icon_smoking:

Made me get to thinking I may get one for my fish tank that would be cool

Rob if you're interested in a salamander for a tank, most large salamanders have gills and are entirely aquatic until adulthood, the Texas barred salamander is the largest terrestrial salamander in the us and are AWESOME!!! They are fed mice as adults in captivity and are veracious!!! Coolest amphibious pets I think you can have! But if you can get a mudpuppy as a pet that's even cooler!! Seeing them eat is insane!!

Rob if you're interested in a salamander for a tank, most large salamanders have gills and are entirely aquatic until adulthood, the Texas barred salamander is the largest terrestrial salamander in the us and are AWESOME!!! They are fed mice as adults in captivity and are veracious!!! Coolest amphibious pets I think you can have! But if you can get a mudpuppy as a pet that's even cooler!! Seeing them eat is insane!!

I have seen Muddpuppies at the feed store that I buy my hemp seed from.

That's awesome!!! I'd love to hear how it goes raising one! Been thinking about a habitat authentic carp aquarium, couldn't be complete without one!

Sweet guys... Odd.. I never saw one before... I hope i see one. How bad did it hurt when it bit you?

Did not really hurt at all it did break the skin but was really like couple scratches. I picked him up after that and was looking at him he never tried to bite me again. My buddy I was fishing with is from PA and had seen them before so he was laughing his Arse off at me because it did scare me. I thought I had been bit by a water moccasin at first being from FL that was my first thought then remembered I was in PA and you do not have water Moccasins

That's awesome!!! I'd love to hear how it goes raising one! Been thinking about a habitat authentic carp aquarium, couldn't be complete without one!

I think I will after I move. after we decided to buy a new house a year ago I decided not to replace any fish in my Tank if they died most of my fish had age on them so I am down to my allergie eater and two young Mollies that were born in the tank that did not get eaten by the other fish. so perfect time to try it out

Did not really hurt at all it did break the skin but was really like couple scratches. I picked him up after that and was looking at him he never tried to bite me again. My buddy I was fishing with is from PA and had seen them before so he was laughing his Arse off at me because it did scare me. I thought I had been bit by a water moccasin at first being from FL that was my first thought then remembered I was in PA and you do not have water Moccasins

Wow man... i hope i see one soon!