Colorado Springs Report: Quail Lake

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 JohnFinney

JohnFinney

Obsessed Carper

• State Chair
  • 785 posts
  • Interests:Carping Tackle & Tactics, Sci-Fi/Fantasy, IT Service Management, Video Blogging and Editing.
  • Who Referred you?:NA

Posted 28 August 2012 - 10:32 AM

Overview:
A 33 acre lake on the south side of Springs that is mainly used as a trout fishery. The lake receives stockings a few times a year for this purpose. Reported species of fish include black bass, crappie, sunfish, catfish (channel), northern pike, small mouth bass and of course, common carp. A very popular fishery that is heavily fished, especially at weekends and public holidays.

Colorado Parks & Wildlife:
Stocking of trout was on this year was on weeks of 2nd & 9th & 23rd April, 8th May, 5th June - no stocking reported since June. This is a "wakeless" water though often anglers are out on the water a variety of inflatable craft, paddle or self-propelled. There is no Fish Management Survey data available (that I could find that is!).

Map:
Posted Image

37 lb 5oz common, Chatfield Reservoir, Littleton CO, May 2013

18 lb mirror, Stanborough Lakes, Welwyn Garden City, Herts, UK, 1982

22 lb grasser, Pikeview Reservoir, Colorado Springs, CO, June 2013

#2 JohnFinney

JohnFinney

Obsessed Carper

• State Chair
  • 785 posts
  • Interests:Carping Tackle & Tactics, Sci-Fi/Fantasy, IT Service Management, Video Blogging and Editing.

Posted 28 August 2012 - 10:57 AM

Current Conditions:

Sunday Aug 26th 2012: Water levels were down a foot or so, expanding the "bank" access around the Lake. I saw many locals pulling trout from the waters and one angler nearby reported catching some wipers from the lake - though I was unaware the lake even had wiper! Fished from around 11am - 3pm, caught two small (4lb and 5lb respectively) common carp from location (A) on map using panko/creamed corn pack with orange flavored corn on the hook.

#3 JohnFinney

JohnFinney

Obsessed Carper

• State Chair
  • 785 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:17 AM

Note: 17 Acres in size, not 33 as previously stated.

#4 classiccat

classiccat

I can name my own title

• CAG Member
  • 2,138 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:50 AM

Nice, thorough report John!

you may have alot of fun (& surprises/table-fare) on the float!

#5 JohnFinney

JohnFinney

Obsessed Carper

• State Chair
  • 785 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:17 PM

Once/when I get a true 12ft carp rod, I may very well rig one of my existing rods and old reels for float - lighter line, etc. I have tried float fishing a few times at this lake and so far all all I have snagged are trout which devour just about all baits suspended in the water.

You would be surprised at how large a hook bait those rainbows will attack and swallow - i've had small ones take a size-2 covered with corn as big as the poor trout's head - no clue how it got the hook inside the mouth ! I may also try my hand at some fly fishing, though as a youth, I darn well sucked tremendously at casting a fly - also the effort, rather just put my feet up, pull down the lip of my cap and snooze, waiting for a carp to take the bait ! Yes, im getting lazy in my old age!

#6 JohnFinney

JohnFinney

Obsessed Carper

• State Chair
  • 785 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 06:19 PM

Friday 31st August, 2012

Spent a morning down at Quail Lake again today with Patrick from work who was hunting for rainbow and cutthroat trout.

Weather was nice, about 82F and little wind. Fished using two rods, both rigged with a 2oz pear sinker on a safety clip to a 8" 12lb fluro leader, size 2 octopus curve hook, loaded with my favorite panko/creamed corn packbait, today flavored with banana! Hook bait was white corn with a hint of orange - yummy!

This is my 3rd time fishing at this lake. The water level was up slightly from a week ago though the lake was quiet, very few people fishing - probably due to it being a school day and a Friday morning. Fished about 20' out from some reed beds to my left and about 30 yards straight out. Location ( B ) on revised map.

Posted Image

The morning was quite productive, in quantity, if not size. After starting with a hook pull managed to bring in a 6.5 lb common, a 5.5 lb common and then 4 more ranging from 3-4 lbs each. Ended with another 2 hook pulls ! Arg ! Seems this Lake is pretty well populated with commons 7 lbs and under - I am sure the fish can only be a few years old so my new quest here is to locate their "parents".

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sadly my colleague blanked out on his trout quest, even after trying some "Hail Mary" corn and pack off the bottom with an egg sinker for his last hour of fishing . Guess the trout gods did not favor him today! Yes, I know, deep down inside he wants to catch carp!

Certainly planning to return to Quail, I am sure there must be some monsters in there somewhere !

All told, was a great morning out and a steady haul from Quail.

#7 FiSherwood

FiSherwood

I fish for everything

• CAG Member
  • 2,206 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, family, canoeing, kayaking, soccer, reading

Posted 01 September 2012 - 02:12 PM

I would think with pike in the water the carp would be thinned out, but then again the pike may prefer trout instead...;-)

Brian Sherwood

PBs:

Common Carp: 33-6  

Mirror Carp: 16-2

White Amur: 31-3  

SM Buffalo: 31-6

BM Buffalo: ??

Koi: ??

My photo lifelist: (I've caught many others, but don't have photos of them...)

Treat the Earth well; it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children.

#8 Dale Holmes

Dale Holmes

I can name my own title

• CAG Member
  • 2,381 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 10:40 PM

I would think with pike in the water the carp would be thinned out, but then again the pike may prefer trout instead...;-)

Those pesky northerns will eat anything they can swallow. Here's a 14 inch pike swallowing a 10 in trout.

Attached File  northern-pike-eating-trout.jpg   103.29KB   0 downloads

#9 Inphamous

Inphamous

Advanced Poster

• Forum Guest
  • 130 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:33 PM

Haven't posted on here in a long time.. Just thought I should let y'all know this is a nice place to fish. I've caught several 20+lb fish here. I use my own personal strawberry dough bait and it works great. I also use a crawfish flavored dough bait that works well too. I would recommend Willow Springs Ponds down in the fountain/widefield area if you really want to catch the monsters. I've caught a 33lb grasser and a 28 lb common there. More specifically on the larger lake, farthest side from where you park.
Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

#10 Inphamous

Inphamous

Advanced Poster

• Forum Guest
  • 130 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:35 PM

Wanted to point out that my profile picture was taken at quail lake on the closest pier to the dam. One of the first carp I ever caught. He gave me the "bug". I actually caught him on crawfish tail accidentally.
Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users