Carp Anglers Group Forums
  • Announcements

classiccat

Black Hawk Lake, Iowa: Kill

Iowa DNR will be performing a restoration process (link)on Black Hawk Lake which involves wiping out the entire lake:

"Wallace is coordinating fisheries crews from across the state that will be crisscrossing the lake on preplanned routs applying the fish toxicant, rotenone, to eliminate all fish remaining in Black Hawk Lake. "

If water quality is the real concern, should they be considering the fact that the lake appears to be completely surrounded by farmland which may lead to eutrophication (link)?

post-3938-0-88272800-1352313925_thumb.jp

Wouldn't you think that eutrophication combined with record drought (an excessive biomass probably doesn't help) are likely root cause?

Iowa's DNR may be in for a rude awakening when their water quality woes remain even after replacing the "rough-fish" with "fine-fish" :sleep: .

The degradation of water quality is always our fault. Instead of taking responsibility and taking action, we ignorantly shift the blame to scapegoats like roughfish. Can't wait to see what their next excuse is when water quality doesn't get better

That is ridiculous, as you guys said cant wait to see what happens when things dont get better.

are you serios!! ya, cant wait to hear the next excuse when it gets worst

one of our big lakes here did same thing in the spring. Of coarse it didnt help, but....they cant and wont remove all the carp. what u will end up with are fewer fish but larger size

Edited by Bill Stoltz

ain't that the place where there is a lot of mirrors? :(

ain't that the place where there is a lot of mirrors? :(

you're confusing this with Blackfoot

post-3938-0-75859900-1352338140.jpg

Mick's heart may have skipped a beat with that one!

Lakes I've found with mirrors Blackfoot ID & recently Box Butte in NE were both rotenoned. Now they have only mirrors? Be interesting to see if that happens in this lake, or not.

you're confusing this with Blackfoot

post-3938-0-75859900-1352338140.jpg

Mick's heart may have skipped a beat with that one!

LOL i nearly choked on my dinner!!!

Never ceases to amaze me that they will spends tons of money/manpower to remove a problem that isn't a real problem. I read that after they done that the lake has to be left for 4 years before restocking, then youll have to wait for them to grow. If this is the case anyone that normally fishes there must really hate carp to have their lake unfishable for that amount of time.

LOL i nearly choked on my dinner!!!

Never ceases to amaze me that they will spends tons of money/manpower to remove a problem that isn't a real problem. I read that after they done that the lake has to be left for 4 years before restocking, then youll have to wait for them to grow. If this is the case anyone that normally fishes there must really hate carp to have their lake unfishable for that amount of time.

they appear to be taking measures to reduce runoff...so they're not oblivious. And if I understand the situation correctly, the plan that is in progress included collecting desireable species and storing them in a holding pond...then restocking these adult fish next spring in addition to fresh stocks from hatcheries; apparently the winter season is all that's required for the water to detoxify.

It would be interesting to see if David's observation from previous "clensings" materializes!

Its good that the toxin will die offas soon and i wonder if this has anything to do with mirrors. I read a couple of the other stories on that link, ironic that one of them was about saving fish including carp.

Chris and all else , there's a local river known as the Wallkill River , which 80% percent of it flows through farmland . The river is entirely over populated and all fish are stunted . The bow hunters all use this as a battle cry why killing the carp is doing the planet a favor . Yet it seems the farm fields may play a bigger role . As everytime I hear of this scenario the circumstances are always the same .

World's funniest joke- I'm from the government and I'm here to help you. I'm concerned about the use of the word "desirable." Who determines what is desirable or not? Surely, not a CAG member or officer!