Carp Anglers Group Forums
  • Announcements

DC_Taylor

Boilie Rolling Table

I want to buy a rolling table and was wondering what people’s opinions are as far as the best size. I'm only going to have one for now so I was thinking 18mm? I'm trying to target fish in the 10-25lb range. When I look on ebay, most of the 16mm tables are out of stock so maybe that answers my question lol..

the reason I ask is cost.

an 18mm boilie uses over 2x the amount of raw materials than a 14mm bait. A 24mm boilie uses over 5x the amount as a 14mm bait. (Volume = 4/3 x pi x radius^3)

if you're planning a baiting campaign, a 14mm is going to get more mileage and I believe will hold fish in your swim longer as they root-around for more baits.

I have a large 14mm table for rolling chum baits and the small "longbase" tables in various sizes for rolling hookbaits.

I use a 15 mm machine , not that 15 mm is the best just personal preference , not too big not too small . Besides that was the size it came in , had allot to do with it lol.

With a little elbow grease sky's the limit , Good luck bro !!!

post-571-0-18886300-1352837125.jpg

Wow, those look great! Can I buy some LOL.

Can't sell you any Mike , it would be like selling a drink to a recovering alcoholic LMAO :bigsmile:

Boilies don't have to be round :)

I have a 20 table and rarely use it. I use it for like 4-5 sausages then just get tired and either brick or cut the sausages into "purse" shapes. Just my two cents but I like the idea of every bit being a little different shape and size to keep the carps on their "toes"

Guest BCLT

DC..... listen to classicat and Ken........ another thing to consider is for chumming, you dont even need to roll them..... just flatten a 1kg chunk and cut it into squares........then boil them, or you can boil the block and then cut it. Rolling baits is pretty labour intensive so finding ways to cut down time is the best bet.

If money is no issue........grab a couple rollaballs, and start there...... use squares to chum and rollaball rolled hook baits to test your preferences...........if mass producing one size is the direction your heading, then source out a large table of that size.......

Regardless, rolling your baits is very rewarding, especially when you land some big fish. In recent days I have taken 2 30+ fish on boilies!

Happy hunting........

DC, I agree with everyone. And BCLT makes a great point...rolling boilies is no walk in the park. When prebaiting, I don't even boil my chum and like BCLT I just cut them into cubes. My basemix consisted of a very simple and cheap recipe which was semolina, corn meal, soy flour, sugar and eggs (and some amino acids and other attractants). The semolina and eggs made the dough hard enough that the cut cubes would stay intact for a few hours so I didn't need to boil it. Also boiling it creates a hard outer layer (hence the name boilie) which impedes or slows down the leakage rate. But for my hookbaits, I did roll them into nice spheres so I could use a throwing stick during the session.

But it's messy and hard work! Just like everything else in carp fishing. That's why if I win the lottery, I'm going to buy this factory (see below). And I will also pay someone to prebait, carry my gear, and set everything up as well. Then I will just show up and catch fish and post on the CAG forum saying, "Hey everyone, look at this big fish I caught. Ain't I so good" :D That's the way carp fishing should be :D

But unfortantely there are no short cuts because I don't have a million dollars to pay people to do the work for me :( . Carp fishing is too difficult and time consuming :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3v3__DyIHw&feature=related

DC..... listen to classicat and Ken........ another thing to consider is for chumming, you dont even need to roll them..... just flatten a 1kg chunk and cut it into squares........then boil them, or you can boil the block and then cut it. Rolling baits is pretty labour intensive so finding ways to cut down time is the best bet.

If money is no issue........grab a couple rollaballs, and start there...... use squares to chum and rollaball rolled hook baits to test your preferences...........if mass producing one size is the direction your heading, then source out a large table of that size.......

Regardless, rolling your baits is very rewarding, especially when you land some big fish. In recent days I have taken 2 30+ fish on boilies!

Happy hunting........

Spot on , I just spent the past 45 minutes trying to dig up an old thread on bricking by Mario Kok , Maybe he will chime in . I know he uses a technique called "bricking" which is where you make 1 to 2lbs bricks wrap them up in foil or saran wrap and boil for an hour instead of 2 mins (to make up for size ) then get an electric carving knife and get hacking . cut into cubes your desired size . I wish I could find the link (believe me I tried) but maybe if you contact Mario he could elaborate .

Guest BCLT

The only reason I know the technique is because of Mario lol.......... I found that bricking, cutting, boiling saves time and saran wrap......just my opinion. The difference is my squares have a shell around the whole thing.......Marios squares will have open sides that release attractants quicker.......for me to get around that I just soak mine....... its really tomatoes, tomotoes........the end result is pretty similar.

DC if you PM me.........with an email address......I will send you several PDFs, word documents and excel sheets with all the info you need to roll your own baits. You too Ken but chances are you have the same info........

Cheers and happy hunting.......

Spot on , I just spent the past 45 minutes trying to dig up an old thread on bricking by Mario Kok , Maybe he will chime in . I know he uses a technique called "bricking" which is where you make 1 to 2lbs bricks wrap them up in foil or saran wrap and boil for an hour instead of 2 mins (to make up for size ) then get an electric carving knife and get hacking . cut into cubes your desired size . I wish I could find the link (believe me I tried) but maybe if you contact Mario he could elaborate .

I'm surprised that you haven't committed this entire thread to memory Ken! :lol:

Boosting Confidence with Boilies; See Post #3

I bought mine from wacker and I like the 14mm and the 18mm Rolaball Longbase - Gardner. I use the Rolling Table - Gardner to make the Sausages it does both 14mm and 18mm. I do not make Huge Batches I have taken a receipe that works for me and then cut it down by about a 1/4 on all ingrediants so I have what I feel is a workable amount I like to play with different flavors and such so the smaller batches allow me to do this as well. I normally make my Pop-ups with the 14mm and once you put the 14mm with a 18mm you have a nice pop-up presentation with very little weight needed to balance it out.

http://wackerbaits.com/sf/contents/en-us/d111.html

I have a 16mm large gardner one and a NNB brand one from BCT, i like the NNB one as each side is all one piece and doesn't catch up.

I have a 16mm large gardner one and a NNB brand one from BCT, i like the NNB one as each side is all one piece and doesn't catch up.

I agree, the NNB tables are super nice being all one piece....sure wish they still sold them as I ended up having to buying a few of the Gardner rolaball baitmasters instead.

Does anyone know of an affordable rolling machine that has changable dies so you can make various sizes instead of buying a machine that can only do one size ??

Guest BCLT

Does anyone know of an affordable rolling machine that has changable dies so you can make various sizes instead of buying a machine that can only do one size ??

lol............not asking much eh......... please if there is one............do tell - someone................anyone?

lol............not asking much eh......... please if there is one............do tell - someone................anyone?

Found one that has interchangable rollers...for $1200 :icon_smoking: , brand new , order direct from the company.

http://www.boiliemaschine.de/14.html This company makes one with a multiple size head , you're gonna pay tho .......lol