Carp Anglers Group Forums
Buckeye Bob

Buckeye Lake, 12/8/12

Had several chores to do today but did make it out from 4 - 8:30 PM. Originally went to the North Ramp but it was jammed...saugeye reports were great. So, I drove over to Lieb's Island and fished the lake right at the channel. Fished one rod (Cabela's Zander) with minnow for saugeye and one rod with K1 12mm Garlic, no pack, for carp

Catfish 6, Carp 0...all between 2-4 lbs...and they were hitting hard. 2 were on the garlic boilies. Got the crap scared out of me once...having just cast out, I was adjusting line tension by turning the spool by hand, it TOOK OFF; LOL!!!

Anyhow, was nice to get out...and the cat's sure were fun on the 9' Zander rod.

post-4-0-95473800-1355022612.jpg

post-4-0-36315900-1355022626.jpg

post-4-0-50343000-1355022643.jpg

judging by these results, I'd swear you were squatting in one of my swims! :lol: the cats seem to be more aggressive than I remember for this time of year. crazy season ~8

Thanks guys....cats were thick...and so were the shad. I started squatting in that swim at Liebs Island in 1991...always a great spot to fish, if no one else is there LOL

nice fish did you take them home for dinner. pretty cool cart how you got the rods set up on iy

Did you chum? Did you use a method mix? Might you have flavored anything? If you did chum, how long before you fished the swim did you chum?

Regards

Tom.

ps. As I remember this lake has no real big carp but the numbers are good. :swimminfish:

Did you chum? Did you use a method mix? Might you have flavored anything? If you did chum, how long before you fished the swim did you chum?

Regards

Tom.

ps. As I remember this lake has no real big carp but the numbers are good. :swimminfish:

Just an impromptu trip to the bank, only a mile away...no prep...just a handful of garlic boilies and a stop at the bait shop for minnows. Buckeye Lake is a great winter fishery for channel cat, crappie and saugeye (walleye/sauger cross).

You're memory is good....15 years ago there used to be some nice sized carp, flatheads too, A massive fish kill/die off in the lake changed all that. Fish were floating everywhere...local utility company was blamed but nothing was proved ie no chemicals found and no reason determined. BIG cleanup operation picking up/hauling dead fish.

nice fish did you take them home for dinner. pretty cool cart how you got the rods set up on iy

Had planned to...wanted a couple saugeye(walleye/sauger hybrid)..but the good spots were taken. Attached some banksticks with hose clamps to the corner uprights...makes things quick n easy.

Here's a pic of what I had hoped to catch...great eating fish and very active in winter here...my favorite spot was filled up shoulder to shoulder with about 20 anglers.

post-4-0-41866700-1355084441.jpg