• Announcements

Guest THE BIG WORM

Paylakes In Geogia....?

12 posts in this topic

I am making the round trip from CHi Town to Ft Meyers Fla, several times this winter and was looking to experience the paylake circut. Was hoping to find a couple of lacation with 2-3 hours of the Rte 75 corridor. Please let me know if there is anyplace that may fit the discription.

Thanks,

Larry

I would recomend going a little more East to NC for the real thing. I must say, you have Balls. Have you aquired a taist for livermush? :icon_smoking:

Only an extra 2 and a half hours per trip going through Kings Mountain, Ive driven further to learn less.....

PM me the winter scedules, what a day runs, and the rules.........most likely on my second trip down........but ya never know.....

Thanks!

Only an extra 2 and a half hours per trip going through Kings Mountain, Ive driven further to learn less.....

PM me the winter scedules, what a day runs, and the rules.........most likely on my second trip down........but ya never know.....

Thanks!

Tom can tell you better but there's a lake that really impressed me, a few (12 maybe) years back, Whitmire (or something like that) in the Kings Mtn area. Very professionally set up/managed; great bait shop and old man even gave us a tour of his reel collection...big room full, all types that go YEARS back...quite impressive. We fished it in the winter time...no tourney or anything, fished daytime during the week. Come spring that year, for their big opener, Berkeley was there and spooled everyone's reels (up to 3) with line of choice. Anywho...if he's still running it...great place.

Spillmans in Mocksville, NC is as classy a Paylake set up as you will find....

Spillmans in Mocksville, NC is as classy a Paylake set up as you will find....

Very nice...a stop on my NC orientation tour..didn't fish it though, we were enroute to fish another lake not too far from there.

I'm not a Paylaker but I'd love to treat you to lunch when you come through Atlanta. I know a great BBQ place :)

I'm not a Paylaker but I'd love to treat you to lunch when you come through Atlanta. I know a great BBQ place :)

Thanks, I have family in Marietta.......I may stop for a couple of days on the way back

Thanks for the heads up on Spillmans, do you know it they allow side hooked plastics or PVA

Thanks for the heads up on Spillmans, do you know it they allow side hooked plastics or PVA

Mr Worm.

As long as it doesn't float, and your not using more than two hooks, your good to go. lol...lol..

Thanks, I have family in Marietta.......I may stop for a couple of days on the way back

Just let me know. 404-405-3523

Horace

Larry,

I prefer to fish for 'wild' carp whenever possible. However, on my side of Atlanta (northeast), the nearby carping opportunities are pretty much limited to grass carp in some county park lakes, or to one of several paylakes. Therefore, I do occasionally fish in two paylakes -- at least 1/2 dozen times a year, each.

I've never fished in the ever-popular NC paylakes, so I can't compare them to these local ones, as far as their overall quality and amenities. Both of the ones I fish have several rough shelters and/or some wooden "picnic" tables here and there, and one has 3 or 4 Port-o-Potties located strategically around the lake. I've never purchased bait at either lake, but I know they do offer bait and/or bait-making supplies. For me, part of the challenge is catching carp on "my own" bait.

I don't participate in the tournaments -- I fish strictly for the fun of it. As a "senior" I pay less than full price at one of the lakes, but i believe their usual daily fee is $8, while the other one charges $10. One lake has "drive-up" access to at least 3/4 of the lake, and at the other one you can drive right to your fishing spot anywhere except for about 1/2 of one side of the lake.

The two venues I described are "Red's Lakes", about 2 miles off GA Hwy 81, north of Covington, and "Twin Lakes", off East Broad Street, about 2 miles outside Winder, GA. Both lakes are some distance east of I-85. I live in Lawrenceville, GA (which is just off I-85), and both are within 25 miles of my home.

Red's runs tournaments on Saturdays, and occasionally some weekend nights, and -- I think -- on Wednesday nights during summer. I don't know if they run any tournaments during the colder months, but it's typically open every day. Several of us are "considering" Red's as a venue for a FFF this year. Twin Lakes is better known as a catfish lake (I caught a 32-pound flathead while carp fishing), and cats up to 75 lbs have been caught there. However, there are quite a few carp as well, plus a few large buffs (40 lb range). I also caught my PB koi there last year (a 17-lb "goldfish"). They run various tournaments there, mostly on weekends. Usually, those are 'big fish' tourneys, and carp and cats are both eligible, with most guys targeting catfish.

As i said, I don't fish the tournaments, so I don't know first hand what goes on then. But at other times, both places seem to be very safe, and would be ok to bring the family. I've seen wives and kids at both lakes on occasion.

Unfortunately, I've also experienced several fishless outings at both lakes, so success is not a guarantee.

Feel free to PM me if you're interested in trying either of these spots during one of your trips through the area.

-- Barry