Carp Anglers Group Forums

Forum Issues

Willem (JD)

Question

As for whats going on, it's life. Sometimes the servers will be stable for years :) , then sometimes just like everything in life, they break.

There are small breaks and big breaks, this was a medium break :)

As for finding the forum offline regularly, it all depend on what time of the day/night you log on and I do updates. Updates are done on a weekly basis. Back-ups on a Bi-Monthly basis. Each time I do any of them I must take the system offline.

You can't change the oil in your car while you're driving it :)

Terminology: PHP = PHP is an open source server-side scripting language designed for Web development to produce dynamic Web pages.

SQL = Structured Query Language - is a special-purpose programming language designed for managing data bases.

Every website you see is hosted by a company, they don't hang around in space. Our hosting company are in the process of upgrading their PHP & SQL on their hosting servers. (They started on Dec 20th)

The PHP upgrade went OK. I just had some minor issues to solve after the upgrade for our site to be up and running.

The SQL upgrade did not go so well. It corrupted our database. The database store all the posts, stats and info we post on the forum.

Our latest Back-up was Dec 18 2012, so our restore is from that date. To recover corrupted data from a database is a lot of work and time. Even then if just one piece of the recovered data is corrupt and you reintroduce it into the database, the whole thing can crash again.

So the only Posts I've recovered in the shape of HTML pages are the FFF 2013 posts since it was our current event.

I'll spend the rest of the week making sure all is stable and getting the FFF info back on the forum.

Tomorrow I'll be unavailable since I'll be in hospital for a heart procedure, but I'll be available again by the evening if the doctor don't screw anything up :)

Our host is doing another (final) upgrade to the server sometime today, so let hold thumbs nothing else screw up.

Overall we can't complain. We've been up for 99% of the last couple years. I've seen servers with more issues.

I'll be looking into alternate hosts for CAG in case these guys don't get their chit together.

I'll spend the rest of the week making sure all is stable and getting the FFF info back on the forum.

Tomorrow I'll be unavailable since I'll be in hospital for a heart procedure, but I'll be available again by the evening if the doctor don't screw anything up :)

Er... Why don't you take time to rest for at least ONE evening, away from Internet forums, databases and the likes? We'll survive, you know...

As to the FFF, I decided to extend the deadline for reporting results until Tuesday midnight PST... Still chasing a few folks... Please send missing reports to <jmoisand@gmail.com>.

This is an organization of volunteers. If there was a CAG staff on payroll, and 17 days of data went missing or if deadlines for contests were extended, it might be a different story. But, these are volunteers who spend countless, dedicated, unpaid hours for the good of the organization. For that, I am grateful. Thank you, Willem and Jerome and many other volunteers who keep CAG running.--Frank

This is an organization of volunteers. If there was a CAG staff on payroll, and 17 days of data went missing or if deadlines for contests were extended, it might be a different story. But, these are volunteers who spend countless, dedicated, unpaid hours for the good of the organization. For that, I am grateful. Thank you, Willem and Jerome and many other volunteers who keep CAG running.--Frank

Even if I got paid a $1.000.000.00 a month there aint chit nobody can do about data that goes bad. Database crashes don't give a rats @ss if you're getting paid or not :)

I honestly don't like the tone of your comment. :dry: .

No member of CAG or it's staff have any control over the hosting company. We pay them for a service. They cover their own bases by adding to the agreement that they can not guarantee anything. So when you ask them why do I not have yesterday's back-up available and why must I go all the way back "17" days (Thanks for counting) , all they say is:

Hello Willem,

I have checked our backup server and unfortunately we don't have recent backup of the server.

Our backups are done by an automated system daily. Recent server backups failed due to an error in the backup system. I have notified our backup team regarding this.

Once again our sincere apologies for the inconvenience.

Kindly let us know if there is anything else we can do for you.

Thank you to everybody else for understanding without judging.

Sincerely

Willem

I think its Neil's conspiracy theory :Laughter:

There was just way too many KOI carp caught ;):lol:

Good luck at the hospital Willem

I did not want to say anything but I do suspect him as well.... :yes:

All I can say is HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Thanks for everything You do Willem take care of yourself and get some rest.

Dang - all the details of my World Record Common Leather Linear Mirror Koi are LOST, and I have no back up :blush:

Keep up the good work Willem, and thanks for the explanation.

Thanks for all the well wishes. The procedure went well and I'm back home. No fishing for 7 days since I'm not allowed to pick anything up more than 10 lbs :bigsmile:

Go fishing with Neil then. You´ll be fine.

Glad to have you back bubba. The Mexican didn´t kill you after all... B)

Willem --

We definitely appreciate all you do to keep the Forum up & running for us.

As a retired computer 'geek', myself, I completely appreciate the problems of dealing with an outside vendor to do the web hosting. I wasn't a "webbie" myself, but for about 35 years, I did support a number of Unix-based systems that supported both databases and web instances. So even though I'm not familiar with the details of building and maintaining a web site, I fully understand the nature of the problems that you must deal with in your role as webmaster.

Thanks again for sharing your skills and giving us your time.