Carp Anglers Group Forums
Brid

Post 2013 ATC trash talk

The dust is settling on this years ATC, and it did turn up a few surprises. New PB's for the lucky ones, the biggest Buff for a good few years and a good few nice 30 class commons. Still - there were only a few lucky ones that drew the better pegs on the day, and the bigger hauls reflect just that. Some pegs just didn't have fish there - on one day, and came alive the next. I guess calling it 'Peggy' (again) wouldn't be too far off the mark. Suffice to say, there were some pretty good Carpers left scratching their heads about the odds of actually getting big catches both days.

As long as the peg draw remains the same, there is NO chance of teams being able to 'build a swim' that will produce for them over either of the 2 days, and that isn't really conducive to keeping folks coming back for more - at least in my estimation. Perhaps it might be time to run a 2 day event where teams get to capitalize on baiting strategy?

Regardless, I've attended the event for a few years now and have seen many changes in both the fishing - and the organization.

Gotta take my cap off to Dr Stern and all those that worked with him for putting this one together, along with all the sponsors that helped out. A fine couple of days fishing - with great results for the winners -- Congrats all!!

As for our team effort ---? We tried every trick in the book (and some!!) yet came up short!!! Guess that's why they call it fishing - not catching?

I had a truly dedicated partner, and she is a real trooper when it comes finding that extra "something" to keep going hard at it -- in the face of adversity.

All in all, another ATC that fulfilled many expectations for some - yet left others wondering what they'd done wrong?

Maybe it's time for a complete facelift -- if the ATC is going to continue?

Tight Lines,

Brid.

The dust is settling on this years ATC, and it did turn up a few surprises. New PB's for the lucky ones, the biggest Buff for a good few years and a good few nice 30 class commons. Still - there were only a few lucky ones that drew the better pegs on the day, and the bigger hauls reflect just that. Some pegs just didn't have fish there - on one day, and came alive the next. I guess calling it 'Peggy' (again) wouldn't be too far off the mark. Suffice to say, there were some pretty good Carpers left scratching their heads about the odds of actually getting big catches both days.

As long as the peg draw remains the same, there is NO chance of teams being able to 'build a swim' that will produce for them over either of the 2 days, and that isn't really conducive to keeping folks coming back for more - at least in my estimation. Perhaps it might be time to run a 2 day event where teams get to capitalize on baiting strategy?

Regardless, I've attended the event for a few years now and have seen many changes in both the fishing - and the organization.

Gotta take my cap off to Dr Stern and all those that worked with him for putting this one together, along with all the sponsors that helped out. A fine couple of days fishing - with great results for the winners -- Congrats all!!

As for our team effort ---? We tried every trick in the book (and some!!) yet came up short!!! Guess that's why they call it fishing - not catching?

I had a truly dedicated partner, and she is a real trooper when it comes finding that extra "something" to keep going hard at it -- in the face of adversity.

All in all, another ATC that fulfilled many expectations for some - yet left others wondering what they'd done wrong?

Maybe it's time for a complete facelift -- if the ATC is going to continue?

Tight Lines,

Brid.

Brid.

While I love ya, I must say, " you never learn m8". You could pick your own swim and keep it for the two day event and still not catch. I hate to be the one to tell ya, AGAIN, but you would kill the best of swims and blame it on everything except your techniques and baits. Now,....This is an honest assessment. Some are just meant to live in the past and be Echo Zulu m8.

ps. here is your tip m8."" look at all past winners, first second and third, thier baits, rigs, techinques, chum, and you'll find your mixes,tecnhiques,baiting programs, do not fit the template m8. herein lyes the answere to your quest""

Love ya, mean it..

On the Puff

GUS.

Ye Ole Knuckle Dragger

Tom...

Brid.

While I love ya, I must say, " you never learn m8". You could pick your own swim and keep it for the two day event and still not catch. I hate to be the one to tell ya, AGAIN, but you would kill the best of swims and blame it on everything except your techniques and baits. Now,....This is an honest assessment. Some are just meant to live in the past and be Echo Zulu m8.

ps. here is your tip m8."" look at all past winners, first second and third, thier baits, rigs, techinques, chum, and you'll find your mixes,tecnhiques,baiting programs, do not fit the template m8. herein lyes the answere to your quest""

Love ya, mean it..

On the Puff

GUS.

Ye Ole Knuckle Dragger

Tom...

Tom -- You sure do know how to make a guy feel good !! I'.ve fished the event with 2 past winners, and had a good chance to look in their buckets and discuss rigs/tactics etc. If you take a look at the results of this years Champion of Champions, you'll see there weren't any of them in the hunt for overall victory. What does that tell you? Things have changed a lot on this lake since my first ATC with Mr Kirkman. That year, we finished a very close second and the following year in the top 6. Last year I fished with Keith Thompson, and he landed one small fish for the two days ( I had a 30+ common and a 51+ Buffalo) - something else to consider!!

It was 'in the stars' that Michigan were going to kick buitt and take names this year, and I'm proud of the youthful element that did just that -- HUGE CONGRATS LADS!!

Looking forward to seeing you at Fork next week.

Tight Lines,

Brid.

Any and every carp tournament will be "peggy" to some extent. Nothing you can do about it.

Any and every carp tournament will be "peggy" to some extent. Nothing you can do about it.

I agree...no different than going fishing on your own...sometimes fish are there, sometimes not. The having to draw again on the 2d day insures everybody a 2d chance of a good draw. But....I've heard these same complaints in tourneys where you fish the same peg the whole time. Ever notice when a person wins..it's their ability...when they lose...it's the peg draw. I don't see how it can get anymore fair. Great job to the organizers and great job to the winners.

I agree...no different than going fishing on your own...sometimes fish are there, sometimes not. The having to draw again on the 2d day insures everybody a 2d chance of a good draw. But....I've heard these same complaints in tourneys where you fish the same peg the whole time. Ever notice when a person wins..it's their ability...when they lose...it's the peg draw. I don't see how it can get anymore fair. Great job to the organizers and great job to the winners.

:party0012icon::party0012icon:

Taking nothing away from the winners, the ATC further validates my long-time contention that the most important factor in competitive carp fishing events is location. In some repeating events at the same location, you can reasonably predict the top finishers immediately after the peg draw. Yes, changing seasons and varying conditions and experience and bait and tactics and watercraft knowledge and tackle carry some importance, but I'll take a good peg location over all that anytime and every time. As long as your bait doesn't repel fish and as long as your gear holds up, a lucky peg draw will take you far.

All those "experts" writing articles about bait options and rig configuration would better serve their readers by sharing their expertise about choosing a good location.

I'd just like to see one tourney where everyone just manned up and gave congrats to winners instead of making excuses and berating the event on why they didn't win. Everyone takes the same chance in participating.

I'd just like to see one tourney where everyone just manned up and gave congrats to winners instead of making excuses and berating the event on why they didn't win. Everyone takes the same chance in participating.

Like it or not, it's the "modus operandi" for carp tournament fishing. Perhaps the whole key is persistence, whereby you will eventually draw a decent peg if you participate in enough events. Another key is enjoying the experience rather than lamenting the final outcome. It's a journey, not a destination.

Another key is enjoying the experience rather than lamenting the final outcome. It's a journey, not a destination.

Amen!!

Like it or not, it's the "modus operandi" for carp tournament fishing. Perhaps the whole key is persistence, whereby you will eventually draw a decent peg if you participate in enough events. Another key is enjoying the experience rather than lamenting the final outcome. It's a journey, not a destination.

Dai uy.

99% of the time you're spot on but you have yet to be experienced with Texas and the Buffs. As most. Next time we share bankspace I'll explain and your'll shake my hand for it. Not saying you haven't fished Texas, I havent a clue, just saying there is more to learn than most Yankees and 99.9% of the Euros know. :icon_smoking:

Regards

Tom.

Do you hear me whining about anything? I've already patted all the organizers on the back personally and congratulated the winners publicly -- AND taken one on the chin from Tom :bigsmile: with an answer to his thoughts. It was another event on what is rapidly becoming a hard lake (Jeez - I wish I'd fished it when things were new!!) that I have loved fishing -- whatever the outcome for quite a few years. The City 'flier' included in your buckets, and what the speaker talked about during the banquet are all well and greatly presented, but don't really represent a true picture of where they should be going to keep the health of the water - if we expect it to be a Trophy Carp fishery for any foreseeable future. If you read - and understand the figures they presented, there is a pretty big imbalance between larger predators and Carp, that doesn't represent a healthy future for growing big Carp. Sure -- the 30's captured during the ATC will possibly make 40 before they die --- but where are the ones replacing them?

Carp don't grow to record size like Bass in a couple of years, and need a pretty balanced eco system to thrive. I finally admit that there might be a Cyclic thing going on, BUT -- with a very reduced rate of fish that may make close to record weights. In simple terms, we have a few lunkers that might make it --- BUT, where are their replacements? Already being far less teeners caught - and some real 4 - 5lb babies.

I've always maintained that I hope I'm wrong, but --- the Carp here don't have the lifespan of a lot of the Euro fish (Fed on more high protein they'd live for many more years!!) and there has to be a careful balance between current predatory stocks VS Carp that LBL does not have right now.

Last question -- If you were at the final ceremony -- how do you view Mr Sprinkle's action of calling me out before the whole group? I'll be very interested in hearing honest answers!!

Great ATC -- will we have another?

Tight Lines,

Brid.

Dai uy.

99% of the time you're spot on but you have yet to be experienced with Texas and the Buffs. As most. Next time we share bankspace I'll explain and your'll shake my hand for it. Not saying you haven't fished Texas, I havent a clue, just saying there is more to learn than most Yankees and 99.9% of the Euros know. :icon_smoking:

Regards

Tom.

I fished the ATC last year, but I look forward to your insight, Tom.

Brid, I heard Christine put 1 upside your noggin?

Tom I also hear that some of your teams fish after dark were caught on Euro gear?

Did your team throw some night time boilies cause the pick ups were not working?

Tom I also hear that some of your teams fish after dark were caught on Euro gear?

Did your team throw some night time boilies cause the pick ups were not working?

This year we plan on switching around. Euro in the day and Paylake at night. :icon_smoking:

LMAO!

Tom -- You sure do know how to make a guy feel good !! I'.ve fished the event with 2 past winners, and had a good chance to look in their buckets and discuss rigs/tactics etc. If you take a look at the results of this years Champion of Champions, you'll see there weren't any of them in the hunt for overall victory. What does that tell you? Things have changed a lot on this lake since my first ATC with Mr Kirkman. That year, we finished a very close second and the following year in the top 6. Last year I fished with Keith Thompson, and he landed one small fish for the two days ( I had a 30+ common and a 51+ Buffalo) - something else to consider!!

It was 'in the stars' that Michigan were going to kick buitt and take names this year, and I'm proud of the youthful element that did just that -- HUGE CONGRATS LADS!!

Looking forward to seeing you at Fork next week.

Tight Lines,

Brid.

Brid , nothing is forever , All wise well rounded anglers know that . I have spots where 12 years ago used to produce numbers and big fish , today you work your arse off for a few teens . Fact of life . everything has a prime , (not to say lbl cant have another ) Got a swim now and the fishing changes from season to season . First three years coughed up numerous biggies , then took a 2 year lull we thought it was dead then it starting coughing up biggies again . You use allot of educated speech on things but , your expectations are rather small minded . Look at the big picture , Spots I have 20 and 30 fish days may only cough up 3 or 4 fish at the wrong time . Doesn't mean swim is dead , simply means my timming was off . And as for timming let me say this , IT'S IMPOSSIBLE TO PLAN SUCH A BIG EVENT A YEAR AHEAD AND GET TIMMING SPOT ON

Only problem I see with the ATC event is that it obviously needed more Brits taking part. Hopefully 2014 we ex-pats can change that ! To my fellow Brits, in 2014, lets invade Texas and take that trophy away for Queen and Country !

John

Yeah right and we need more Laylakers and more Michiganders, and

More northerners,,,,sheesh

Do I count as a northerner if I live in Texas for the event next year?

Yes. You need to be a Texan sir at least 3 years

As one of the teams that blanked both days (I did manage to catch my first drum at 5# and a large gizzard shad) I'll be the first to admit it was our fault.

Friday we fished next to Keith Thompson and his wife and they kicked our arse landing several, including a beautiful 37# plus beast. Want to add insult to injury? We got the peg directly across from them on Saturday and had to watch him pull a monster 55# buffalo.

I don't feel so bad having only been at it a couple of years. And I'm always trying to learn a new trick or two. Nothing beats a little experience. Better luck next year.

And by the way, I had a blast fishing this year's "Michigan Team Championship" here in Austin...

Guest THE BIG WORM

BOATS !!! :titanic:

There is nothing wrong with LBJ look how many big fish came out in just two 12hr sessions without it being baited up for a week. If ATC lasted few more days there would be many more high 30s and probably few 40s in the mix

Everybody forgets that in the early days when a lot of big fish came out there was a lot of anglers baiting up for weeks, motel bathtubs full of soaking corn and tons of range cubes and boilies. Of coarse fish got onto the bait and people were catching fine,

There isnt so much hype now for LBJ like it was and few locals baiting up here and there cant really make a big difference to get big carp to feed confidently and search for bait especially on a skinny long lake like LBJ with limited bank access