Carp Anglers Group Forums

Credit Card and online purchase tips

Willem (JD)

Question

I travel the country, wipe my C Cards more than 500 times a year.

99% of my purchases are online for personal items and fishing gear.

I ONLY use PayPal for online purchases.

I do not store ANY passwords ANYWHERE, not in a lil book or any other physical form. I use a program called RoboForm. It store my logins and passwords in high end encryption. You can only access it with a Master Password, I a 10 digit pass with letters, numbers, symbols and uppercase letters.

Roboform also create random complex passwords for you to avoid easy cracking. (90% of user passwords consist of a name in the family, birth date, pet name or fav pastime like "carp rules"

Using Roboform I never have to use my keyboard to enter passwords, so no key logger can record my key strokes. You just select where you want to go and it fill the rest automatically. If you're directed to a "Phishing Page"( page created by hackers to let you enter you info thinking you're on your bank site) Roboform will tell you that it's not the correct site.

I carry Roboform on a USB stick and don't care if I lose it. They can't crack it without the master password.

If I have to use my CC, I use my American Express. Their protection policy is one of the best.

Now many think because they don't have a PayPal account, they can't use PayPal. WRONG!!! You still choose Paypal as your form of payment and when you get to the PayPal login screen, you'll see an option to use your CC via Paypal. This keep your CC info out of the hands of a vendors account and only PayPal gets your info. They pay the vendor.

Another misunderstanding is that you need to have money in the PayPal account to use your PayPal account for purchases. Not true, I have my Amex CC linked to PayPal and it directly deduduct the funds of my purchase. You can also tie it to your checking account.

5 answers to this question

Checking my records i have used Paypal EVERYTIME for an online purchase in the last year, Apart from last night when i used CC at BCT!!?...........& i still got hit somehow. My guess is that its not necessarily Carp tackle shop related.

Best advice I was given by my bank was to keep one account purely for online purchases with it's own debit card. I keep no money in that account and transfer in when I want to make a purchase. It's an extra step as it means I have to do a transfer before any purchases but it does mean that if that card ever gets compromised there is never any money in the account to take,

Another very simple thing is to use a credit card that blocks international transactions by default. This doesn't prevent you from the occasional trip and expenses abroad, you just have to go to the credit card Web site and indicate when you're traveling. I have a CapitalOne credit card which works like that, and this is a really easy way to weed out obviously fake transactions.

As a side note, the fundamental issue has little to do with online vs real-world. The entire credit card system is weak as hell. Any dishonest merchant can use your credit card number and fake your signature... Notably the Visa cards where entering a PIN number isn't required... It just takes a credit card slip to do so...