Carp Anglers Group Forums
  • Announcements

Derek Whiting

Utah Carp?

are there any members in UT.

I live in southern UT,and I am trying to find carp lakes nearer than 150 miles,I am going to Delta tomorrow,and usually fish Yuba lake,but the fish are small,not many doubles let alone 20's,can anyone help?

Welcome to the forum I'm sure someone here knows something about fishing in your area we have members almost everywhere

I know of a carper in the Lake Provo area; used to be a member here but I'm not sure if he still is.

Have you tried searching the forum for "Utah"?

Yep, still here, been a looooong while since i posted. Not so long since I last caught a carp. Only 4 days. Too bad I missed the southern Utah carpers's request.

Good carp spots in Utah? EVERYWHERE!

Utah lake- 90% + of the biomass is carp. If you fell in the lake you would land on a carp.

Bear Lake up north - full of muddlers. Have caught tons off my kayak there. Bear river - big carp. Bountiful Pond- plenty of 20's.

Lake Powell - loaded with plenty of big ones.

Flaming Gorge- guided carp fishing, big 20's plus.

Jordan river- full of carp. Caught a big fattie outta there last November.

All the reservoirs around Salt Lake have carp. Starvation holds the record. Deer creek - big uns. Willard bay - big mirrors. Lots of other spots. Search urban fisheries Utah.

Good luck

Steve

From the 2014 Utah Fishing Guide Book;

"While you are fishing, it is unlawful to:
• Use or possess corn, hominy or live
baitfish.

Chumming is prohibited on all waters
except Lake Powell."

Chumming (American English from Powhatan[1]) is the practice of luring animals, usually fish such as sharks, by throwing "chum" into the water. Chum is bait consisting of fish parts and blood, which attract fish, particularly sharks owing to their keen sense of smell.

That's what they consider chumming from the guidebook. Just like here in California; pack/method and PVA are grey areas.

post-4564-0-44611700-1413428089_thumb.pn

Being from NC and not UT, it was a big let down to move here from a corn as bait state to a corn is illegal bait state. All because some knuckle heads baited trout via chumming hundreds of pounds of field corn into the reservoirs. DWR sees a fish kill and zips open dead floating trout to find them stuffed with undigestable to trout field corn. O.....K......no more corn nor chumming for anglers in Utah.

The grey area of pack bait isn't really all that gray. I see where it says the bait must be on the hook and line. Nothing about the size of the bait nor if it happens to fall off when casting or fishing.

BTW..carp are bowshot galore here and dumped on the bank and into trash bins. Or chopped into chunks as the " best" catfish bait. Talk about upside down. And then there's the guy getting paid million$ of our tax dollars to empty Utah lake of carp. At the end of his first 5million dollar contract he says he's caught up to the reproductive rate of the carp in the lake.

Grrrrr......off the rant box now.

Gotta go boil some birdseed. DWR agents have asked me what I catch carp on and I tell them bread dough and bird seed. No problems. And I will toss a cannonball out there to them. When it hits everyone looks with that " WTH was he tossing ? " look.

Edited by fishhead

Still lots of good non-corn carp bait around! Pack bait is not chumming; method feeders are not chumming; PVA is not chumming.

Bread, chick peas, tiger nuts, boilies/dough baits, fake corn, etc. etc. etc.