Carp Anglers Group Forums
  • Announcements

gonefishing

No More Chumming in MN

Yesterday, i read the new 2013 Minnesota Fishing Regulations and came across page 16.

Littering of any material, including parts of fish or other animals, and depositing rubbish, poisonous substances, or chemical harmful to aquatic life into public waters, onto ice, or lake or stream is illegal.

"Chumming (depositing fish parts or other material into public waters to attract fish) is unlawful.

That's really sucks!

What parksy said!

Now you have to put on the thinking cap and have eyes in the back of your head! the hippy disease is spreading !!!!!!!

Pack bait is not chum.Just a suggestion.

+1.

Method as well. Just cast a lot... ;-)

In CA its worded to the effect, "no putting anything in the water for the purposes of attracting fish so they may be taken, that is not on a hook" (not exact wording)

Now i wouldn't want to argue the point with a feild officer so i wont do it in front of them but pva socks are on the hook and so is a method ball as long as the hook is inside it, similar to a lure coated in some kind of attractor.

Guest THE BIG WORM

Method, Pack or Dough Baits attatched to the line should still be legal based on the wording of the law, but pre-baiting is a no-no. Fish chum has always been illegal in Minnesota.

Spent nine months getting my product approved there and it has similar properties in that it attracts fish.....but it is enviromentally safe and I got approval. When dealing with the Minnesota DNR they were considering a ban on anise as there have been findings that it can be a neurotoxin to some species and even some people.

Interesting. Certainly a detriment to prebait campaigns, places a premium on watercraft with that.

On the plus side, bow fisherman could theoretically be punished for shooting and the dropping the fish back into the water.

All in all, that is a development I would be disappointed to see in my state. I suggest packbaits as well, just cast and recast a lot early on. Same with method.

Wow, that means everything used for chumming is illegal. Because of the wording of "any material used for attracting fish," I would even worry about using PVA bags and method feeders. It sounds to me that even attaching a PVA bag to the hook, even if it does not contain food materials, would be considered illegal because of the wording. I believe interpretation of the regulations is left up to the DNR officer unless you have a special permit or the rule has been challenged in court and a specific definition has been given to the rule or an exception. You really need to talk to the Director of the DNR and find out the correct definition for this rule. Be sure to get it in writing. If you do not like the ruling, then you might have to challenge it in court. The DNR might rather just compromise or give an exception for carp fishing than fight it out in a court of law.

Wow, that means everything used for chumming is illegal. Because of the wording of "any material used for attracting fish," I would even worry about using PVA bags and method feeders. It sounds to me that even attaching a PVA bag to the hook, even if it does not contain food materials, would be considered illegal because of the wording. I believe interpretation of the regulations is left up to the DNR officer unless you have a special permit or the rule has been challenged in court and a specific definition has been given to the rule or an exception. You really need to talk to the Director of the DNR and find out the correct definition for this rule. Be sure to get it in writing. If you do not like the ruling, then you might have to challenge it in court. The DNR might rather just compromise or give an exception for carp fishing than fight it out in a court of law.

So anykind of scent that people spray on lures would also be banned, i can see some opposition there ;)

Neil has spent literally years cultivating good relationships with the "powers that be" here in Texas when it comes to carp fishing. They've even been bankside during the last two ATC tournaments here in Austin. Now they know how we fish and I would like to think they would ever allow that kind of regulation here.

Up in your neck of the woods, it's never too late to try inviting your local "game wardens" to a tournament or two and show them what's going on. At the very least, once they understand our sport, they might not be quite so quick to dole out punishment if you're caught.

Guest RebelCarp

Buy yourself a baitboat but make sure you have the cover of the bait hopper.

No one will think theres bait underneath but don't let them see you reloading it lol.

Or if fishing a lake "rinse out" your buckets but they are actually full of bait

Guest THE BIG WORM

The biggest problem with rules is that most people don't actually read them.....and that people will often alter the wording when they make an aurgument one way or the other to make a point.......but a rule is a rule....

As it is written...2013 Minnesota Fishing Regulations page 16. Littering of any material, including parts of fish or other animals, and depositing rubbish, poisonous substances, or chemical harmful to aquatic life into public waters, onto ice, or lake or stream is illegal. "Chumming (depositing fish parts or other material into public waters to attract fish) is unlawful.

Those suggesting that method, dough baits, scents or even PVA are Illegal should really re-read the above that was posted out of the reg book.

The rules are specific as to what is illegal.....not generalities. The DNR's take a lot of heat for protecting waterways, it dosn't help when rules are miss interpreted. Keep in mind Pre-Baiting campaigns DO! cross the line into littering, and the more anglers who do this....the more likely it is for those techniques to become banned everywhere. Controling foreign organic matter is important to healthy waterways, just because we fish for Carp and they can live in low oxygen waters.....we should not create that problem as a group. Even paylakes control the amount of loose bait thrown in because the more organic matter put in.....the higher the chance of algee issues and sedimentation (age-ing) of the body of water.

It has been for as long as I remember in WI but then again at every dock there are Bird Feeder vending quarter machines so... ;-)

Interesting. Certainly a detriment to prebait campaigns, places a premium on watercraft with that.

On the plus side, bow fisherman could theoretically be punished for shooting and the dropping the fish back into the water.

All in all, that is a development I would be disappointed to see in my state. I suggest packbaits as well, just cast and recast a lot early on. Same with method.

I looked up the 2014 MN regs (only out of curiosity, since I live in GA) and they say the same thing (it's on pg 29 this year). But there is also another, more welcome regulation on the same page that reads:

"Any fish that is caught and will not be utilized must be immediately returned alive back
into the water. A person cannot wantonly waste a fish that is caught by leaving it or any
usable portion on the ice, thrown up on the bank, or intentionally killing it and returning it
back into the water unless authorized."
That "might" prove to be a partial deterrent to the bow fishermen. At the very least, they can be held responsible for removing their dead fish from the lake or river (but only if it is enforced)