Carp Anglers Group Forums
Brid

Bless Those Rascals

Most of my life I have dreaded Carp spawning time - knowing I was going to be doing a lot of ---- pretty much nothing, just waiting for them to get through the 'whoopee making'. That is until I moved to Texas a few years ago, and discovered Smallmouth Buffalo!! As they spawn at different times than Carp, they make it well worth a session -- and blow the cobwebs away :swimminfish:

Just yesterday I had a fine day out with a couple of friends, Morris & Bennett on a lake around 100 miles from my home in Austin, targeting Buffs. Bennett lives close by and had been baiting a swim for a few days, which greatly helped our odds of catching! Other than the alternator on the van going out during the journey there, requiring a 'side trip' to get it replaced, it was a great day to be fishing. High temps of 74f and mostly cloudy made it very comfortable, and - as the icing on the cake, we landed a dozen or so Buffs up to the high teens :yes:

Nothing of any great size, but - these fish fought as well as any Carp of similar size, and were NOT easy to catch! Add to that the fact they are very pretty fish, and there's another reason to target them.

They are also incredibly timid feeders, and - just how they manage to take a bait, drag a 3oz lead far enough to give a full lift on the swinger - then eject it, I'm really not sure? Of course, it made it all the more fun, as a lot of the day was spent trying different 'anti eject' rigs (surely an oxymoron?) and different approaches of trying to hook them.

So --- just because Cyprinus Carpio are not wanting to come and play ball, don't despair -- just find a water with Buffs, and have a blast like we did :D

Tight Lines,

Brid.

PS - Sorry no pics!

Yeah -- a breath of fresh air from those beating the tar out of LBL swims!!

good stuff brid. dont over complicate the rig. i tend to wanna do that and end up with hook pulls or just short little takes. then i end up going back to what works the best for me lol.

Thanks chaps - it was fun!!