Carp Anglers Group Forums
jdefreitas

Bait stops?

Hey fellas,

Gonna tie up a hair rig for the first time tomorrow. Got a needle in my tackle box so I can thread my corn onto it, or doughball or what have you.

My question is, how do these bait stops work to hold the bait in place? I will be at Dick's Sporting Goods tonight helping another buddy of mine, who is starting to learn to fish, find a basic all-purpose combo to get started with. While I am there I want to see if I can get my hands on anything that will work as a bait stop.

How do you put these on once the bait is on the hair? It seems like these guys do it instantaneously on the videos, but I don't see how they would just sit in place.

If anyone can get me some advice prior to the 5pm or so, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks all.

Wow, it's that easy lol. I knew the rig was easy enough, essentially snelling a bit and leaving over hang. And the over hand knot is simple for the hair portion.

I was just like how the heck does the bait stop stay in place??? NOW I get it.

Thanks man, I was watching all the wrong videos! What do you guys use thats laying around for bait stops? I imagine a stick would work just fine if you get a strong enough one?

If you don't have plastic bait stops you can use a plant stem cut to size. Any weed with a straw like stem would work. I guess you could use a small piece of a round toothpick.

If you don't have plastic bait stops you can use a plant stem cut to size. Any weed with a straw like stem would work. I guess you could use a small piece of a round toothpick.

Yup, if you can't find anything just use grass stems.

Guest RebelCarp

For cheap bait stops, Get heavy mono (like 40lb test) and get a lighter. Cut a tiny piece of mono and hit each side with a lighter to "ball the ends". Then you got a cheap bait stop.

a piece of dry spaghetti pasta will work in a pinch.just break a small piece off and use it as your bait stop.it will eventually soften but it will take a while.tight lines to you!

All of the above are great ideas. Here's one more. If your workplace has a break area that has a box of those wooden coffee stirrers, grab a dozen or so. With a sharp pair of scissors, cut them lengthwise into thin strips, then cut the strips into (about) half-inch pieces to use as bait stops. A dozen stirrers should make several hundred. I keep a couple small pill bottles of them in my tackle bag at all times.

I used tooth picks today and they work fine, but the coffee stir stick idea is genius.

On 5/24/2013 at 10:29 PM, whiterockjesse said:

if you send me your address i can put some in the mail for you, free of charge too ! :yes:

id take some. just getting into hair rigs

Little piece of rubber band works pretty well and is cheap and easy to make. Everyone has rubber bands just laying around collecting dust and a pair of scissors. 1/4 inch or so has worked for me anyways. And thank Cannonball for the tip.

I haven't had rubber bands for years. I've used pieces of stick, but it takes a minute to find one the right size. I decided store bought are faster and easier. Got like five hundred of them in little lattices for three and a half bucks. The plastic is hard and durable, and there's a slot in the middle that helps keep the line in place. Just makes my life easier for a low price.

jdefreitas, glad you got it figured out. It's probably a lot simpler than you thought. There should be a tiny loop at the end of your hair. Shove your baiting needle through the bait, hook the loop and pull it back through, put something in the loop to prevent it pulling back and pull it tight so the stop doesn't fall out.