Carp Anglers Group Forums
CARPNCAT

HELP, NEW TO ME

I was at a swim today that is about 25 acres, I fished it about 8 times last year, prebaited, and caught 3 fish. The fish were impressive, a 28.5, a 30.8, and a 35.5, look at my profile for the 35.5. you can sit for hours and nothing. Today I was there and again nothing except there must have been a couple of hundred carp swimming about a foot under water maybe 30-40 foot from shoe and just going back and forth. there were carp there in excess of 3 feet and more, but no bites. I tried everything i had with me, grits and oats and different flavors, and different pickups. The water where I saw them swimming and I was fishing is about 15 feet deep and the weather was sunny and about 80 degrees. we could not last year or this year figure what to use to get some action, and we prebait all the time. people I talk to say it is just loaded with them. It is a shame but it gets old just sitting there for maybe 6 to 8 hours and nothing and to see that many swimming about? attached is picture of the 35.5

post-2419-0-28426500-1372540678.jpg

Franklin and I may be able to help. Can you pay our licenses and put us up? We can bring our own poles. :)

Sounds like floater fishing might be just what the doctor ordered! You can use a controller float to get the bait out there, and then dog biscuits, popups or even Nash Zig Bugs as hookbait. There are plenty of guides to floater fishing on Youtube. A Zig Rig might have helped but would be impracticle because of the 15" depth I think

If they are cruising around in the upper layers then they are generally not in feeding mode. Zig rigs can work but when it's hot with a high pressure system they generally not interested in bait.

I would suggest the same as Parksy, fish at night and maybe pre-bait a few areas.

If that is the case I would be trying bread. Take some chunks and chum out to get them interested in then float a small piece on your hook out to them. Either that or you something with more leakage in the bait and a stronger flavor so it travels in the water column and hopefully pulls the fish down. Oils work well this time of year as well so maybe even some hemp since that is naturally oily and will disperse and rise in the water.

Oh ya I almost forgot to ask have you tried different locations on the lake? They may be cruising through to go to their natural feeding area so they could care less about what is in the area you may have tried. I have seen this many times where I see them move through only to find out if I would have changed spots I would have done a lot better. I would also watch to see where the fish go to as they are cruising and see if you can find out if they just keep cruising or are going to a certain section of the lake.

Oh ya I almost forgot to ask have you tried different locations on the lake? They may be cruising through to go to their natural feeding area so they could care less about what is in the area you may have tried. I have seen this many times where I see them move through only to find out if I would have changed spots I would have done a lot better. I would also watch to see where the fish go to as they are cruising and see if you can find out if they just keep cruising or are going to a certain section of the lake.

They just stay in the area I am fishing, I forgot to mention that i prebait the area with maize and they seem to stay in the general area that was baited. We went to a couple of other spots and could not see any swimming around. Also the distance that was baited is about 20 foot from shoe to maybe 50 foot and about 50 yards wide

When you prebaited was it the day before? Often times here I have found baiting the night before kills the bite and I usually bait 3 days in advance if possible. If I had to guess since you had baited 50 yards wide if you baited the day before they may have been just cruising over the area and a few eating the prebait here and there making your hook bait hard to find since there was a lot of selection. Maybe try no prebait and picking a specific tight area to chum and see if this helps. Often times I will get some prepared bird seed and add that in also to hold the fish in a tight spot. Hope this helps. Every lake I have ever fished has a total uniqueness to it on how the fish feed and what they want. Sometimes it takes longer to figure out and once you do it is a rewarding feeling. Good Luck!