Carp Anglers Group Forums
Sign in to follow this  
FJR1

CANCELLED - Sunday, July 7, 2013 Tournament at Allen Park

This event has been cancelled due to some dropouts and fewer than needed participants.

Both Mike Olinger and Tony Sladek are unable to attend Sunday's tournaments at Allen Park in Ottawa, IL. That would put us at only five anglers and six entries.

I knew this was a shot in the dark with the short notice, so in light of the two dropouts, THE JULY 7 TOURNAMENT AT ALLEN PARK IN OTTAWA, IL IS CANCELLED.

My apologies to those who had planned to attend. I might try again on Saturday, July 27 with a little more time for potential anglers to check schedules and make a firm commitment.--Frank

Allen Park, Ottawa, IL “Two-in-One" All Species Fishing Tournaments

ottawa_2012_venue_from_shelter.jpg

The Illinois Carp Fishing News’ Annual Allen Park Tournament will be held on Sunday, July 7 on the Illinois River at Allen Park in Ottawa, Illinois.

There will be two five-hour tournaments. Tournament 1 will be from 7:00 a.m. until noon (6:30 a.m. peg draw).

Tournament 2 will be from 1:00 p.m. until 6:00 p.m.

You may use two rods.

Tournament 1 will feature a random peg draw. Tournament 2 will feature a walk-off peg choice in reverse order of your standing in tournament 1. If there are tournament 1 ties, you will draw for order of choice in tournament 2.

Entry is $20 for each tournament. Each tournament is based on total weight captured during the time frame.

The tournament is limited to 17 anglers. Due to the short notice and the likelihood that we will not have a full contingent of 17 anglers, an angler may double his entry with two side-by-side pegs; but you may not combine total weight from pegs. However, it is possible for a double entry to win two places in a tournament.

This is a catch and release, all species, total weight event, but you better catch a few carp (common or grass) to win. 

There will be no walk-on attendees. You must register on this thread by Saturday, July 6, 2013 to participate.

The awards ceremony for all two tournaments will be at the organizer's peg at approximately 6:30 p.m. You must be present to collect any winnings. Tournament pay-out is 50%, 30%, 20% for 1st, 2nd, 3rd.

There will be a 100% payout of the entry fees. In addition, there will be a $5 big fish pot for each tournament.

If there are fewer than 8 anglers signed up by Saturday, July 6, I will drop the event. Sorry about the short notice, but it appears as if this is the only decent date in the next several months.--Frank

Sounds great as always Frank, however with all the fishing events and work in the past month or so I have some homested duties to get done.

And yes it's not even bow hunting season yet.

How's the river conditions with the rain we've been getting?

How's the river conditions with the rain we've been getting?

I have no idea, Zach. However, the Illinois typically recovers quickly, and with just a few showers in the forecast this week, it should be OK. But there are no guarantees.

For those considering participation, the venue is less than 90 minutes from downtown Chicago and features ample parking and restrooms in a park setting. Your trip would be over I-55 and I-80 most of the way and then just a short 2-mile trip through Ottawa to the Illinois River.

allen_park_map.jpg

A few pics from last year's Allen Park event:

Fred Rhodes with a couple buffs as Robert Kraft looks on

ottawa_2012_fred_two_buffs.jpg

Mike Olinger with a 6-11 grass carp out of a tough peg
ottawa_2012_mike_0611_grasser.jpg

Jim Rink and Fred Rhodes taring the scale before weighing a small buff
ottawa_2012_jim_fred_scale.jpg

Frank Rink took 2nd place in session 1 with this 7-0 grasser and a 3-13 common (which also won the small carp prize (Chub smartbox) donated by Jim Donlan)
ottawa_2012_frank_0700_grasser.jpg

Cory Bohmann's 7-1 common which placed him first in session 2
ottawa_2012_cory_0701.jpg

My guess is that with the earlier time frame and cooler water, more and bigger fish will be recorded this year!

Thx again frank.....

Thanks, as always, Cory! That's three pegs taken. I need five more pegs occupied to make this a go!

Anglers participating, so far, in the July 7 Allen Park, Illinois River, Ottawa, IL event:

1. Cory Bohmann

2. Frank Rink

3. Frank Rink (double entry)

With a minimum of 8 entries, each tournament will pay as follows:

1st - 50% - $80

2nd - 30% - $48

3rd - 20% - $32

With a maximum of 17 entries, each tournament will pay as follows:

1st - 50% - $170

2nd - 30% - $102

3rd - 20% - $68

Because of the short notice, this is a fairly bare-bones event. I might come up with a few extra bait-related prizes, but there will be no trophies or medals.

Add tony sladek and mike olinger to the list!

Thanks, Mike and Tony!

That's five pegs occupied. Only three more entries are needed to make this event a reality.

1. Mike Olinger

2. Tony Sladek

3. Cory Bohmann

4. Frank Rink

5. Frank Rink (double entry)

If there are fewer than 17 entries, I will spread out the pegs to give anglers more room.

Pegs:

ottawa_peg1.jpg

Peg 1--just right of bench and 13 yards to left of totem.

ottawa_peg2.jpg

Peg 2--Just to right of totem (see the shadow) and left of tree and bench.

ottawa_peg3.jpg

Peg 3--right of tree and close to left side of bench.

ottawa_peg4.jpg

Peg 4--between trees near shelter; closer to left tree.

ottawa_peg5.jpg

Peg 5--1 slab from left of dip in sidewalk.

ottawa_peg6.jpg

Peg 6--between bench and tree; closer to bench.

ottawa_peg7.jpg

Peg 7--8 yards to left of flagpole.

ottawa_peg8.jpg

Peg 8--between grill and tree.

ottawa_peg9.jpg

Peg 9--opening between trees; may have to cast sideways.

ottawa_peg10.jpg

Peg 10--at dip in sidewalk; hole in metal barrier.

ottawa_peg11.jpg

Peg 11--left of picnic table with roof; left of dip in concrete.

ottawa_peg12.jpg

Peg 12--between 2 trees: closer to tree on left.

ottawa_peg13.jpg

Peg 13--to immediate right of bench.

ottawa_peg14.jpg

Peg 14--concrete slab with step down.

ottawa_peg15.jpg

Peg 15--end of concrete wall.

ottawa_peg16.jpg

Peg 16--adjacent to lamp-post.

ottawa_peg17.jpg

Peg 17--adjacent to grill.

I'm in! Just got it cleared with the boss....and wife!

I'm in! Just got it cleared with the boss....and wife!

Thank you, Zach!

That's six pegs reserved. Only two more entries are needed to make this event a reality.

1. Zach Testa

2. Mike Olinger

3. Tony Sladek

4. Cory Bohmann

5. Frank Rink

6. Frank Rink (double entry)

If this thing happens, I'm seeing a forecast for a high in the high 80's with a chance of a stray shower or t-storm. You have easy access to your car, but, in most pegs, you can't fish directly from your car. Plan accordingly.

It looks like we might be stuck on six entrants. We need eight. Oh, well. I knew this was a shot in the dark with the short notice. I'm going to reset the entry deadline to Thursday, July 4 at 9:00 p.m., so you can readjust your weekend plans if this doesn't fly. Thanks.

I'm campaigning on fb to try and find a couple more

I'm campaigning on fb to try and find a couple more

Thank you, Zach! I appreciate the effort. Good luck. --Frank

Paul Scott is making the three-hour drive to Ottawa to participate. Thanks, Paul!

That's seven pegs reserved. Only one more entry is needed to make this event a reality. Deadline is Thursday, July 4 at 9:00 p.m.

1. Zach Testa

2. Mike Olinger

3. Tony Sladek
4. Cory Bohmann

5. Frank Rink

6. Frank Rink (double entry)

7. Paul Scott

Sign me up ,Frank!!!! It's my B-Day so I'm feeling lucky!!!

That makes 8!

Sign me up ,Frank!!!! It's my B-Day so I'm feeling lucky!!!

You're the man, Dave! Thanks!

There is still plenty of room, but Dave Marceau's entry puts us at eight. This tournament is a GO! Thanks.

We can accommodate up to 17 anglers, so still post here if you wish to attend. If just one more angler enters, I'll drop my double entry.

Entrants to date:

1. Dave Marceau

2. Paul Scott

3. Zach Testa

4. Tony Sladek

5. Mike Olinger

6. Cory Bohmann

7. Frank Rink

8. Frank Rink (double entry)

With a minimum of 8 entries, each tournament will pay as follows:

1st - 50% - $80

2nd - 30% - $48

3rd - 20% - $32

Big fish (1 winner) if all get in: $40

Because of the short notice, this is a fairly bare-bones event. I might come up with a few extra bait-related prizes, but there will be no trophies or medals.

Don't forget this is a two-tournament day. Entry is $20 for each tournament with an optional $5 big fish pot for each event.

Peg draw for the first event is at 6:30 a.m. at the totem pole with fishing from 7 am to noon. The 12:30 p.m. peg choice for tournament 2 (1 pm to 6 pm) will be in reverse order of your standing in tournament 1. Since I have a double entry, my tournament 2 peg choice will be based on my best peg's standing in tournament 1. Good luck! Let's hope the fish are biting.--Frank

Thanks Dave!

Clrorx will donate three pack colored wipes for big fish at the end of 2nd tournament