Carp Anglers Group Forums

Official 2013 DIXON FAMILY CARP DERBY thread!

Guest THE BIG WORM

Guest THE BIG WORM
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
PHONE: (239) 246-2742
or
PHONE: (815) 284-3496

DIXON CARP DERBY
RETURNS WITH A SPLASH

The weekend of August 24th and 25th, 2013. will see the return of carp fishing to the Rock River with the "DIXON FAMILY CARP DERBY"

Back for the third year in a row.....Carp Fishing Now with the help of the City of Dixon, Dixon Tourism, and the Dixon Parks Department will be holding a Catch and Release family style carp derby open to the public. People of all ages are welcome, children must be accompanied by an adult. Cost is $12 for Adults and $5 for children 13 and under. There will be cash and/or prizes for the 20 largest carp caught as well as for the top five for the girls and top five boys catagory. Currently there is a total of over $2,000.00 in cash and prizes to be awarded. So make sure you come out to win big!!! Raffles and kids prizes too!!!!

The hope is to give people a chance to win big, enjoy the Dixon Downtown and Parks and get people to experience the majesty of the Rock River.

Check in is at the PAGE PARK PAVILLION on Page Drive in Page Park just East of the HighSchool in Dixon Illinois and will be open at 6am on Saturday August 24th and 6am on Sunday August 25th., 2013. All who attend will need to sign in before starting to fish. The actual fishing schedule is 8am to 4pm Saturday August 24th, and 8am to 2pm August 25th, followed by the awarding of prizes at 2:30pm at the Page Park Pavillion. You do not need to fish the entire time to quality for the big fish prizes.

There will be demonstrations of new carp fishing methods as well as how to "Helpers" to give you moral support and fishing advice if you need it. And for those who want to see a "REEL" spectacle, there will be Professional Carp Anglers fishing againts each other in a team catagory inter-mixed throughout the Derby area. One angler fishing one day,and the other the next. This will allow the non-fishing member to walk around and help offer insight to the novice anglers fishing the Family catagory's. Here spectators will be able to walk up to the Two Man Teams of Shore anglers and see why Carp Fishing in Europe is as big as Bass fishing in the USA, truly something you haven't seen before and won't forget.

For more information stop by Dixon Tourism, or contact Larry at carpfishingnow@yahoo.com .
You can get the rules, maps sign-up sheets for the Derby at Bunny's Bait shop in Dixon, Il. Gander Mountain in Rockford, Ill., FishTech in Morton Grove, Ill., The BIG WORMS Bait Shanty in Port Barrington, Ill. or at any time the during the event at Page Park in Dixon. Hope to see you all there!! .

DIXON CARP DERBY PRIZES
(one winner per person)

Adult Catagory
$500 1st. place plus Champions Trophy
$300 2nd place
$150 3rd place
$100 4th place
$100 5th place
$75 6th place
$75 7th place
$50 8th, place
$50 9th place
$50 10th place
$25 11th,
$25 12th,
$25 13th,
$25 14th,
$25 15th,
$25 16th,
$25 17th
$25 18th,
$25 19th,
$25 20th

Boys (13 and under)
$50 1st place plus trophy
$40 2nd place
$30 3rd place
$20 4th place
$10 5th place

Girls (13 and under)
$50 1st place plus trophy
$40 2nd place
$30 3rd place
$20 4th place
$10 5th place

Also all entrants will enrolled in a raffle for a multitude of Carp and Fishing related prizes, you will need to be present to win at the award ceramony.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Just heard a radio commercial for the derby!!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest THE BIG WORM

Ten days to go.

Water levels have been good and the cool weather has kept the fish very active! . Carp have been getting caught. Edward e-mailed me about a 17-0 he caught last week.

Trophys are in, the Tourism office says the Prizes are ready and I ill be picking up the raffles in the next day or two.......This will be fun!!!

It will be geat for me to see everyone again......and a good chance to see people you haven't seen in a while, so come on out..........Ronnie says so!!!

post-3402-0-08966400-1376526604_thumb.jp

Guest THE BIG WORM

Fishing has been good. Water levels are o.k.....Alot of Nice Buffalo being caught right under the Dam as well.

Edward sent this picture and a bunch of others of his fish and those caught by local anglers getting ready for the derby,

Guest THE BIG WORM

I will be on the radio with Steve Marco on WIXN 1460 AM to promote the Dixon Carp derby.

It is scheduled for sometime between 8:10 and 8:45 on Friday August 23rd.

One Week to GO!!!!

Guest THE BIG WORM

Maybe they'll sell you one so you can finanlly turn in a :bigsmile: fish at a Dixon event Frank!

Seriously though, We take alot of care to make sure those things don't happen.Including a bank walk before the start and Mobile Stewards to help with the fish care and to weigh and release the fish quick. And most of the fish are weighed and witnessed being caught and Frank has volenteered for that duty before.........

As this is the fourth year I have helped with this event we have gone along way to make this a good catch and release event and have gotten alot of interest in carp anging by every day folk and CAG member alike. Thanks to people (including Frank !) who have donated loner keep sacks (laundy bags from Wally World), we have gotten alot of anglers who would toss carp up on the shore to catch and release anglers, to some who have made their way to become CAG members and Pro-Tournament series participants. We all start with somewhere and Dixon is a Great Place to start......

So Frank, If your not planing to catch any fish this year :P .....I really could use a another Quality Steward.....even for one day!

P.S. Any one donating Laundry Bags will have my respect and gratitude. I clear out the 'Marts by me and try to get the folks I think won't return them to put up the two bucks.....but we loose a bunch each year both at montgomery and Dixon.

Maybe they'll sell you one so you can finanlly turn in a :bigsmile: fish at a Dixon event Frank!

So Frank, If your not planing to catch any fish this year :P .....I really could use a another Quality Steward.....even for one day!

P.S. Any one donating Laundry Bags will have my respect and gratitude. I clear out the 'Marts by me and try to get the folks I think won't return them to put up the two bucks.....but we loose a bunch each year both at montgomery and Dixon.

You're right, Larry. I fished it twice and blanked both times, so maybe the third time will be the charm (or I'll negotiate with your Dixon boys for purchase of one of those pre-caught monsters. I recall reading somewhere that Dixon has had a history of secret transactions here and there :D ).

I also served as steward before, so it's time for others to take their turn. However, I will make a run on Walmart or Meijer and donate a sackful of keep sacks/laundry bags. Good luck with the Dixon event! I look forward to an enjoyable contest. :yes:

I'll be there! Gotta leave early on Sunday still, boo! I think I have some laundry bags laying around that I'll bring.

Guest THE BIG WORM

For anyone wanting to help steward Saturday ....Sunday.... or both days, It would be a great help to me, and to continue these type of events. It takes manpower to do these.....

A few will say that I do this for money....but the reality is that what comes in pays for the raffle prizes and advertising for the event next year(the first two years cost me out of my pocket).....and the few bucks I spend on scales and gifts for the stewards. I started helping with this event when my fishing partner Jeramie Masseman passed away from cancer. He was the reason I got into carp fishing again as an adult, and this event and the Montgomery event where the ones he took me too ....that's why I do these....So I don't forget who and why I got into this, and got me on the road to carp fishing,again. If you feel the need, I'd appreciate any help....

For your help I can offer not only my gratatude but we (the stewards and staff) usually night fish both Fri and Sat. I order pizzas. And the stewards can camp for free with us at the headquarters. Also I usually find an appropriate gift for those who help out as a thanks.

Also, anyone who does steward will get first access to some limited access events that I will be starting very soon.

So message me or call at here or at carpfishingnow@yahoo.com.

Thanks,

Larry

So, is the river full of honey holes? My only experience with this venue is designing the contest brochure and blanking on a north bank near a bridge for half a day two years ago after spending the first day patrolling/stewarding. Is that stretch by the dam any good for anything over 5 pounds? How soon do you need to get there to stake a claim on a prime location? Can you leave your gear at a location while registering at the park? Thanks!

Guest THE BIG WORM

Frank,

People get there as early as 5:00, but I have yet to see anyone who got there that early win. Obviously the Dam fills up and you can end up shoulder to shoulder,squeeze in and play nice. And the down stream pegs get filled as well. Last year was the first time in three years the new riverwalk on the city's side was fished really and 10 of the 30 winning fish came from there, and ALOT of BIG fish were lost!! The three spots I use to fish and placed in the money at years ago, I have yet to see anyone fish since I started running the event. The spots the match angers cleaned up on the first year spent the last two years vacant for most of both days. The biggest 5 fish have come from different places every year, and rarely does the dam produce the actual winner, and the higher the average of the top 20....the fewer come from the Dam.

It is the Rock river and the best spot changes every day!

Frank,

People get there as early as 5:00, but I have yet to see anyone who got there that early win. Obviously the Dam fills up and you can end up shoulder to shoulder,squeeze in and play nice. And the down stream pegs get filled as well. Last year was the first time in three years the new riverwalk on the city's side was fished really and 10 of the 30 winning fish came from there, and ALOT of BIG fish were lost!! The three spots I use to fish and placed in the money at years ago, I have yet to see anyone fish since I started running the event. The spots the match angers cleaned up on the first year spent the last two years vacant for most of both days. The biggest 5 fish have come from different places every year, and rarely does the dam produce the actual winner, and the higher the average of the top 20....the fewer come from the Dam.

It is the Rock river and the best spot changes every day!

Thanks for the information, Larry.

I'll be there at 2am see ya there

See you there!