Carp Anglers Group Forums

Official 2013 DIXON FAMILY CARP DERBY thread!

Guest THE BIG WORM

Guest THE BIG WORM

It has turned out to be the perfect day, with low 80's temps and a nice breeze......and Sunny!

The excitement of the Derby has hit a high point around 11:15 when Grahame Johnston Became the leader and the first to break the 10-0 barrier and just as he did the Transformers at Com Ed across the river started to spark then blow.

Currently there are 76 anglers fishing with 16 fish listed in the adult catagory .....That means there are still 4 open prizes in the adult with and the 16 listed fish ranging from 10-0 down to 2-9. Meaning its still anyone's game.

Cory Bohmann (The younger one) leads the Boys with a 8-10 with was the biggest until Grahame's fish weighed in. We'll see if he can hold his lead and win the Boys catagory for the second year in a row. There are still three open prizes in the boys. (Only two Boy anglers have weighed fish)

And in this years the Girls catagory, there are no fish entered for the five prizes.

There is still alot of fishing to go and alot of prizes with no winners yet so if you are thinking about fishing it the odds are still in your favor......but you got to be here, and you have to fish it....So come on out!!!

The Derby runs to 4:00 Today and again from 8:00Am to 2:00 Pm tomarrow, you don't need to fish the whole event or to be present for the big fish prizes.......

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CAG members did quite well during the first day of Larry Kirchner's Dixon Family Carp Derby. CAG member Dale Anderson made the 280+ mile trip from central Indiana and also made a trip to the top of today's leaderboard with a wonderful 17-1. This is a big fish event, so it will be very difficult to catch Dale during tomorrow's final, 6-hour session.

Dixon resident and CAG member Dave Marceau is currently in 2nd place with a nice double-digit 10-3, and CAG member Grahame Johnston is close behind in third with a double-digit 10-0. Several other CAG members are currently in the top 20.

In addition, I believe that Cory Bohmann, Jr. currently leads the boys' division with an 8-10. Cory is getting close to repeating his boys' championship from 2012.

Well done, CAG members. Keep it up. Good luck tomorrow!

Dave M....... I want to say thanks for the first aid kit with out you I'm not fishing..... See ya in few months Dave I called in to work for Monday I can't grab anything.... Andthe guy in boat lived so it's a good day... So this makes me the better man I was told.... Um I don't feel like it lol congrats to the winners. See ya soon cory....

You're very welcome Cory, anything to help a fellow carp angler, I live close so it saved you from going to WalMart, see you in Joliet and congrats to Boo for defending his title!!

Dave

I have to thank Larry Kirchner for doing a great job in organizing the derby, had a lot of fun and congrats to all the participants!!! Will definitely be back next year!!

Dave

Big congrats to Dale Anderson for catching the biggest carp in the four year history of the event at 17-1 and for winning the $500 purse for first place. Great work, Dale!

Congrats, also, to Cory Bohmann, Jr. for taking the boys' event ($50 and bait prizes) for the second year in a row. Way to go, Boo!

A pat on the back to the top 20 anglers and to the top five boys and top five girls who took home some $ and prizes.

Thanks to organizer Larry Kirchner for making this an enjoyable, carp-friendly contest, to the town of Dixon and its sponsoring organizations, and to the individuals and sponsors who donated their time, resources, and door-prize items.

Special thanks to stewards Lee Young, Zach Testa, Larry Seeman, Larry Hemmens, and Edward G. for their fine work and to Lee for his suggestions and help to many anglers (including myself) throughout the contest.

It was a fun event. I certainly hope Cory heals quickly from his injuries sustained while coming to the aid of another. Nice work, Cory! --Frank Rink

Guest THE BIG WORM
The 2013 DIXON FAMILY CARP DERBY RESULTS
For the Fourth Dixon family Carp Derby (in a row) the weather couldn't have much better, and with the rain from Thursday and Friday we saw water levels on the Rock River up about 8-12" compared to last years carp derby water levels. 14 Boys, 10 Girls, and 66 Adults all had fun trying out their secret carp baits and putting their skills to the test. that was 90 total anglers and several hundred on-lookers throughout the two day event. Some of the exciting events included a new record carp for the derby at 17 pd 1oz and the spectacal of the transformer explosion across the river at the power station.It was a fun event and ended with the award ceramony and a free raffle with a $1,000.00 plus in prizes for those who stayed.
DIXON CARP DERBY PRIZE Winners
Adult Catagory
1st. place, Dale Anderson of Indianapolis, Ind. -17pd 1oz -($500 plus Champions Trophy)
2nd place, Frank Rink of Bolingbrook, Ill. -10pd 8oz -($300)
3rd place, Dave Marceaux of Dixon Ill. -10pd 3oz- ($150)
4th place, Grahame Johnston of Byron Ill. -10pd 0oz- ($100)
5th place, Srdjan Gazivoda of Chicago Ill. 5th -9pd 9oz-($100)
6th place, John Arnold of Dixon, Ill -9pd 7oz ($75)
7th place, Larry Hemmens of Rockford, Ill -9pd 7oz-($75)
8th place, Brenden Griffin of Chicago, Ill -9pd 4oz ($75)
9th place, Jasen Clevenger of Dixon, Ill -9pd 3oz-($50)
10th place, Cory Bohmann of Marsellis, Ill -9pd 1oz-($50)
11th place, Larry Coggins of Dixon, Ill -8pd 15 oz-($25)
12th place, Paul Scott of Carlinville, Ill -8pd 10oz-($25)
13th place, Dan Hale of Monroe Center, Ill -9pd9oz-($25)
14th place, Jeffery Williams of Dixon Ill -8pd 7oz-($25)
15th place, James sappington of East Moline, Ill -8pd 5oz-($25)
16th place, Tom Buskohl of Polo, Ill -8pd 3oz-($25)
17th place, Caslav Milenkovic of Chicago, Ill -8pd 1oz-($25)
18th place, Michael Kresanek Jr. of Dixon Ill -7pd 15oz-($25)
19th place, Charlie Thomas of Dixon, Ill -7pd 10oz-($25)
20th place, Patrich Harris of Loves Park, Ill -7pd 7oz-($25)
Girls Catagory (13 and under)
1st place, Elli Meyers, 5pd 14oz ($50 and Trophy)
2nd place, August Jones, 5pd 13oz ($40)
3rd place, Hope Garza, 4pd 14oz ($30)
4th place, Emily Wagner, 4pd 10 oz ($20)
5th place Brooklynn Batch, 4pd 7oz $10)
Boys Catagory (13 and under)
1st place, Cory Bohmann Jr., 8pd 10oz ($50 and trophy)
2nd place, Reese Rother, 7pd 8 oz ($40)
3rd place, Beau Schneider, 7pd 4oz ($30)
4th place, Zack Clevenger, 6pd 13oz ($20)
5th place, Austin Jones, 6pd 9oz ($10)
A special thanks goes out to the volenteer stewards: Ed Gasser of Dixon, Lee Young of GreenBay, Zack Testa of Schaumberg, Larry Siemens of Joliet, Larry Hemmens of Rockford and John Weitzel of Dixon. Also, a big Thanks to the Dixon Parks department, Dixon Tourism, and The City of Dixon as well as all the anglers and well wishers that stopped by.
I will see you all next year......and congrats to the winners!!!
Larry Kirchner
****** If you have Pics. Please post them !!!! *********

This is an open letter concerning what should have been in furtherance of more praise for the Dixon Carp Derby. Unfortunately as has proved the case in so many events, involving high monetary payouts, the chivalry appears to have been set aside and replaced with what can only be described as greed. In this instance, involving one 'angler' knowing full well of how I had done on the Saturday event, decided to take over my spot adjacent to the downstream road bridge on Sunday morning and had set up rods etc., in exactly the position that I had fished the previous day. I arrived prior to 7.30.am. and to my dismay discovered him there. I had regarded him as a friend until then, but friends don't do that sort of thing, Do they ?. What made it worse was the fact that he denied knowing that this was my Saturday position until he had spoken to another person, fishing against the other road bridge. He offered no apology.

I had put a great deal of effort in fishing the previous day and was looking forward to a repeat performance, but all hopes were dashed in that moment. I would ask that Larry Kirchner could possibly add wording to next years event, stating that for those anglers wishing to move from their Saturday fishing positions on the Sunday morning, not to set up tackle until some ten minutes prior to commencement at 8.am. This would prevent a reoccurrence of what happened here.

I really enjoy my fishing, but I have no intention of entering the competition events, which condone actions by persons who have more interest in monetary gain, than the actual love of fishing.

Grahame--As much as I respect your angling acumen, enjoy your company, and appreciate your past attendance at some of our Joliet events, I disagree with your sentiments about having a claim on a fishing position at Dixon simply because you were there the previous day.

Larry Kirchner’s Dixon Carp Derby rules are clear that this is an open competition that allows anglers, each day, to select fishing locations on a first-come first, served basis as long as there is no camping overnight to secure the spot.

You were at the location at 5:15 a.m. on Saturday, and the spot would have been yours had you arrived at the same time on Sunday. I had the good fortune to be able to fish at the same location both days. However, if somebody had been set up at my Saturday location on Sunday, I would have moved on, perhaps a little disappointed, but understanding of the fact that they got there before I did.

I saw many acts at this event that demonstrated chivalry and love of fishing including . . .

1. The “accused” putting life and limb at risk to help a boater who had lost control.

2. Stewards offering help, guidance, and rig tips to anglers throughout the competition.

3. Anglers pulling their own lines from the water, and giving their bait and tackle to kids who had not caught a fish previously.

I think it harsh and unfair that you label the Dixon Carp Derby as one of the competition events which condone actions by persons who have more interest in monetary gain than the actual love of fishing. This is an event that Mr. Kirchner transformed from a kill-and-dump carp massacre to a catch-and release, family friendly, carp-friendly contest. I hope to fish it again and hope to see you there.

Take care.--Frank

With fishing most of the Chicagoland carp fishing events I have found that they are all cut throat events, even somewhat from my end.

And this weekend is my last time being a weigh steward for any event ,period.

It was a great time guys and girls and congrats to all the winners.

With fishing most of the Chicagoland carp fishing events I have found that they are all cut throat events, even somewhat from my end.

I was hoping for little Elli Meyers to win something, she was so patient for a youngster and so happy when she caught fish, Good job ELLI!!!

Frank,

Let us be clear regarding what actually happened. Following the competition on Saturday, there was no doubt about what had been caught and who had caught. I am not labeling the Dixon event as one which condones such practices, far from it. The greed that has spread afar from high monetary events has always raised 'anglers' who, given half a chance will try and take advantage whenever they can. Where is the sportsmanship and friendship ?. The Dixon event is a local Derby where fishing is supposed to be fun. I cannot agree with your comments that had I been at the venue at 5.15.am. on Sunday then I would no doubt been able to fish the same swim. I was at the venue prior to 7.30.am. On Sunday, for an 8.am. start. I also remember that you did ask if it was permissible to arrive on Saturday and place your tackle at your chosen swim, prior to registering. In fact,that is what you did. I cannot find anything in Larry Kirchner's rules which allows that.

I went home after Saturdays event and returned for Sundays'. Many persons stayed overnight. I do not intend to belabor the subject, just to tell exactly what occurred.

Fishing, whether it be on ones' own or with others should be fun, with respect shown to others as you would expect to be shown to you. There was no respect shown on this occasion and your either with them or against them. I can see who's side you have taken. I just want to fish and do so with consideration to others.

I will not be taking part in any future competitions where I cannot enjoy the company.

I cannot agree with your comments that had I been at the venue at 5.15.am. on Sunday then I would no doubt been able to fish the same swim. I was at the venue prior to 7.30.am. On Sunday, for an 8.am. start. I also remember that you did ask if it was permissible to arrive on Saturday and place your tackle at your chosen swim, prior to registering. In fact,that is what you did. I cannot find anything in Larry Kirchner's rules which allows that.

In your attempt to make a point, your logic is a bit flawed, Grahame. If the Dixon Derby rules had to cover everything that is allowed, the document would be too heavy to carry. For example, I brought a snack and some water with me, but "I cannot find anything in Larry Kirchner's rules which allows that." I set up a pod and a rod at 5:15 a.m. and left them for 10 minutes while I registered at the designated 6:00 a.m. time. Many others did the same thing. If the pod had been stolen during the ten minutes that I was gone, I was willing to accept the consequences.

Taking sides is also not the issue. The issue is whether or not an angler has "dibs" on the same spot two days in a row. The answer is clearly "no." Carping etiquette may be a different matter altogether, but it's clear that location at Dixon is based on a first-come, first-served format.

I respect and acknowledge anybody's choice to forego "any future events where they cannot enjoy the company" or a decision to "never steward again because events are cut-throat." As for me, carp fishing is a nice diversion in usually pleasant settings. I had a nice time in Dixon with some nice fishing and some nice people. I plan to return despite the fact that the contest, as with all competitive events, might include a glitch or hiccup here and there. Take care.--Frank

Guest THE BIG WORM

ENOUGH ALREADY!!!!

I will address these issues later, as i am already late for work dealing with this. This is not the place for this......a Personal Message is.....

Grahme,

I do this out of love and the memory of my passed fishing partner Jeramie Masseman and for the beginning anglers to enjoy and respect carp fishing

I do agree that respect and sportsmanship are important and will address that, I always have......and I would ask that you read the CAG bylaws very carefully at the top and understand that I believe them all to be equal and important both in an event and reflectedby ALL the participants

There was a pegged event that happened at the same time for professional and syndicate anglers where you could bait up and your peg was yours for the event. Several members decided to complain about, mostly out of frustration over their own success. The people who fund this event see this right after the event, and they pull their funding......that is why that event is gone......that is also when rule 12 was added to the event. I don't

The simple solution for me is to Ban CAG members, pro's and match anglers..... because THEY are the only one's who seem to take things to far. But I don't want to do that unless I become convinced that the purposes of this amature tourism event are in jeapordy. As far as the overnight camping at the water front......I personaly went out at midnight and 5:00 am and 6:00 am to check .......If your frustration is going to result in inacurate accusations as fact......I will loose intrest in your input, and if it continues here instead of in a phone call or a PM, I will be forced to have the thread cleaned.

If you are wondering why there are not more events like this.....the answer is simple......This is why. No-one makes money at these events, the money that comes in goes out for next years costs, and all the prizes and hard work are donated out of the hearts of good people......this kind of "STUFF" makes them question their actions.....and not help in the future........

I have been up now for almost 6 days, I am tired and need to go do my real job to pay for next years event. I am sorry that you did not find enough enjoyment in the two day, 16 hour event with all the prizes and awards and felt that your $12 was mis-spent, and that in the 4 miles of shoreline only one spot.

Larry

Thanks again to all who donated, fished, helped and had a good time!!! Please post your pics.......Thanks Again!

Here's a couple

post-4564-0-10351700-1377530525_thumb.jp

post-4564-0-99773200-1377530544_thumb.jp

post-4564-0-78392800-1377530569_thumb.jp

post-4564-0-64073800-1377530611_thumb.jp

post-4564-0-61412800-1377530661_thumb.jp

I'll have more when I get my camera plugged in

Larry--

Many of us know that you do this out of dedication to the sport and in memory of Jeremy, and we are aware of the time, effort, resources, and sleepless nights you put into this. Thank you.

You made the needed improvements after the first year, and from what I have personally witnessed and heard, the Dixon Carp Derby has been well organized and well run for the past three years with increased attendance, increased prizes, and increased enthusiasm. Well done!

Two years ago, I stewarded on Saturday, and last year I was out of the state and unable to participate; but I had the pleasure of the full, two-day fishing experience this year. I was impressed with the wide range of venue options, with the friendliness of the local anglers, and with the overall organization of the tournament. Good job. I hope it continues.

I think banning CAG members over a rather isolated incident involving only two anglers is an over-reaction; but you are in charge, so it’s your call.

I don’t think there is such a thing as a “pro” carp angler. Having a pod and a little experience in competitions doesn’t make one a pro. Labeling and banning certain anglers as professional, therefore, becomes a subjective undertaking open to subjective scrutiny.

In regard to Grahame’s concern, a simple rule change that indicates “an angler fishing at a location on Saturday has first choice of fishing at the same location on Sunday if he is at the location by 7:00 a.m.” may relieve some of the angst and hard feelings. Stewards could easily note locations on Saturday in preparation for any possible disputes on Sunday.

As suggested, a pic or two will follow as soon as I receive them. Take care.--Frank

Sorry to hear that Larry Siemens won't be stewarding anymore, but maybe Larry Seeman will continue. :lol: