Carp Anglers Group Forums

Official 2013 DIXON FAMILY CARP DERBY thread!

Guest THE BIG WORM

Huge congratulations to Dale Anderson who was named 2013 Dixon Family Carp Derby Champion at the awards ceremony on Sunday, August 25.

Dale's 17 pound, 1 ounce carp is the heaviest carp captured in the four-year history of the tournament. The photo clearly shows that the fish is the prototypical river carp with huge tail and fins and a long, narrow body for negotiating the Rock River currents.

Well done, Dale!

dixon_2013_dale_1701_champ_082413.jpg

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got out of doctors office it has to wrapped for two weeks no hard work.... Thx again for thosewho ttried and those who went out there way to take care of my hands.... Even though I hurt Istill mmanaged to hold my grand baby Brian would was born Saturday that again all can't wait till next year I no boo cant

post-1259-0-01789400-1377541791_thumb.jp

I just got out of doctors office it has to wrapped for two weeks no hard work.... Thx again for thosewho ttried and those who went out there way to take care of my hands.... Even though I hurt Istill mmanaged to hold my grand baby Brian would was born Saturday that again all can't wait till next year I no boo cant

Congrats, Grandpa! Cute baby. Glad the hands got some medical attention. --Frank

A few pics from the awards ceremony. Sorry about the backlighting. Shooting in a pavilion requires a little better camera than the p&s I had handy.

Anglers are ready for the 2:30 p.m. awards ceremony on 8/25 at Dixon's Page Park.
dixon_2013_ceremony.jpg

Master of ceremonies and tournament organizer Larry Kirchner
dixon_2013_larry.jpg

2013 Champion Dale Anderson ($500, trophy, 17-1)
dixon_2013_dale_champ.jpg

Girls Champion Elli Meyers ($50, trophy, tackle, 5-14)
dixon_2013_girls_champ.jpg

Boys Champion for second year in a row Cory Bohmann, Jr. ($50, trophy, bait, 8-10)
dixon_2013_boys_champ.jpg

4th Place winner Grahame Johnston ($100, 10-0)
dixon_2013_grahame_4th.jpg

10th Place winner Cory Bohmann, Sr. ($50, 9-1)
dixon_2013_cory_10th.jpg

12th Place winner Paul Scott ($25, 8-10)
dixon_2013_paul_scott.jpg

Over the course of Larry Kichner's two-day Dixon Carp Derby, I had the good fortune to catch 40+ fish. I possibly could have caught a few more, but several hours were spent with my own lines out of the water, so I could provide bait, tackle, suggestions, and location to three young anglers who had been blanking. Fortunately, all three youngsters eventually caught fish to earn them a place in the prize package hierarchy. Perhaps, some of us CAG anglers aren't so cutthroat after all :).

Anyway, here are a couple pics of some interesting fantail carp. The 3-15 was caught on Saturday and the 8-0 was caught on Sunday. Thanks to Lee Young for taking the photos and for offering his masterful advice throughout the tournament.--Frank

3 lb., 15 oz. fantail carp
dixon_2013_0315fantail_fr_082413.jpg

8 pound fantail carp
dixon_2013_0800fantail_fr_082413.jpg

Those are some neat catches!

Thanks, Bruce. Zach Testa told me that such catches are not that uncommon in the area and that several were captured during the recently concluded tournament. Zach shared that the local bait shop used to stock fantail goldfish to offer a larger bait profile in the water. The surviving goldfish obviously entered the common carp gene pool, resulting in a higher than usual frequency of fantail carp in Dixon.

Guest THE BIG WORM

I know Edward was giving pointers out by the Dam and helped Beau Snieder who came out with a broken guide on his reel and was shreading his line....and he turned it around and ended up with some nice fish!

Guest THE BIG WORM
  • Frank,

There are a number of Koi breeders along the tributarys of the Rock as well. Their lost fish from flash floods as well as the Gold Fish lost as bait make for a very unusual genetic mix there. It is likely the big fantail comes from koi+goldfish=Hybrid(x) and Koi+Carp=Hybrid (y), and what we are seeing are distant offspring of the Two Hybrids. Last year we even had a Mirror Fantail. The amazing thing is that you would think the big fins and tails would make them easier prey......and slower in the current against the Giant Flatheat Catfish for which the Rock river is famous for......up to 80#'s.

post-3402-0-61566600-1377650873_thumb.jp

Guest THE BIG WORM

In fact....looking at pictures I have and the number with missing/cropped tails......I wonder if the big tail actually results in misses by the predator fish where they grab the tail and don't get the actual fish because it is hard to believe we were weighing that many of them and some well over 6 pounds like that....

I want to thank the City of Dixon for having such a wonderful event & venue, and my hat's off Larry Kirchner for directing such an outstanding derby!

I had a great time caught a lot of fish, hung out with great friends and met some new friends...I shall return!

and thanks for all the well wishes, and thank for posting such a nice Pic Frank!!!

• Frank,

There are a number of Koi breeders along the tributarys of the Rock as well. Their lost fish from flash floods as well as the Gold Fish lost as bait make for a very unusual genetic mix there. It is likely the big fantail comes from koi+goldfish=Hybrid(x) and Koi+Carp=Hybrid (y), and what we are seeing are distant offspring of the Two Hybrids. Last year we even had a Mirror Fantail. The amazing thing is that you would think the big fins and tails would make them easier prey......and slower in the current against the Giant Flatheat Catfish for which the Rock river is famous for......up to 80#'s.

Interesting stuff, Larry. They are even prettier swimming in the water.

After being a steward for a couple of years, I wanted to fish this year's event. I opted to fish on Saturday and steward on Sunday. I had the fun of fishing next to Elli and her grandfather and Dale Anderson a bit further upstream. Watching Elli fight and land every one of her fish, by herself, is exactly why this is such a great event. Dale spent a lot of time teaching Carping 101 to a newbie for the entire time. I really didn't miss fishing on Sunday. Just roaming the bank to weigh fish and talk w/ the participants was as much fun. Looking forward to next year.

Guest THE BIG WORM

I wanted to get a last Thank You into those who donated Prizes and other things for the event......

Magda and Earnie from WCB, for the Flavored Corn and Soft Bait Prizes

Frank Rink, For the Laundry Bags/Keep Sacks we handed out to Anglers to keep them carp Friendly

Paul from Wacker Baits, for the CatFish Rod for the raffle section of the awards.

Local Angler, David Hackbarth for buying the Stewards and Myself diner Saturday Night!

Lee Young and St.Croix Rods for a 12' AVID Carp rod for the free raffle!!!

Cory Bohmann and Clorox/Britta, for the water bottles and cleaning products raffle prizes.

And last a local angler who unfortunately did not have his name tag on when he and his family dropped of a Fishing Combo for the free raffles....

Thanks to all who donated, the Stewards, the City and Dixon Tourism........See you next year!!!!

I'll be back next year....pending on a plane ticket haha

• Jerome unlocked this topic