Carp Anglers Group Forums
  • Announcements

Blacksheep

So much for your PB. 132 pound Carp in England

Can't seem to figue out how the copy the picture or the article but a 132 pound carp was caught in England, on the anglers Birthday. :happy birthday:happy Birthday!! :toot:

Article said he was at a fishing resort in Krabi, Thailand. The fish is supposedly a "Siamese" carp, but the mouth doesn't look like a carp, and there appears to be no barbels. Still an impressive catch.

Darius is correct, that monster is not the species we target (cyprinus carpio). There are many fish under the umbrella of the word "carp" and that's a big problem. For example grass carp, siamese carp, black carp, bighead carp, silver carp and all the other problematic "carp" are not cyprinus carpio.

Sometimes I wish we could change the name of our species in the USA or change the name of those other species and just stop calling them "carp". I mean why in the world did someone have to change the white amur to "grass carp"??? ~8 I just do the same thing and change the name again. Whenever I talk about these fish I just call the white amur "grass fish" and the silver carp a "silver fish". I make sure that anyone that learns about carp fishing from me knows the difference.

Although the analogy isn't perfect, I tell people the word "carp" is kinda sorta like the word "bird" in that those 2 words encompasses many different species.