• #42 Dogs at the ATC
    • #46 Cursing and the Pastor
    • #49 Swimmers in the Swim
    • #56 More Bird Stories than Alfred Hitchcock
    • #57 The Pentagon
    • #58 A Goose Catch

Happy New Year to all you CAG'ers!!! :carprock:

New Years Contest - Funniest Fishing Story

Let the New Year begin with a contest that starts now and ends February 15th!

The rules:

- Post in this thread your funny fish stories; any type fish! Post a funny event, pictures, etc... that actually happened while you were out fishing.

- The winning stories will be chosen with a vote cast by CAG members from February 15 through March 1st and winners will receive very worthy prizes :yes: Ill ask our prestigious President Andy to tell you about that!

- Disclaimer: Stories submitted may be published in the next NACA and may make you famous or famously embarrassed :lol: .

-Good luck to y'all!

Hello All,
The Prizes for this contest are as follows:

The CAG winner by most votes for the funniest fishing story will win a set of 2 Delkim EV Plus Alarms and their story published in the next NACA:

post-1096-0-70405300-1389306982.png

The CAG winner with the second most votes for the funniest fishing story will win a set of 2 Galaxy Alarms and their story in the next NACA:

post-1096-0-29117900-1389306995.png

Bite Indicator Features:
Separately adjustable volume (knob is marked V) and tone (knob is marked T)
Adjustable sensitivity (knob is marked S)
Night LED (activates by putting switch in the bottom in NL position)
Rubberized coating
Extra bright LEDs for bite indication and indication of strike
Electronic board completely sealed
Bite indication provides by magnetic sensor
Matching thread on the bank stick
Standard sounder box connection
Low battery consumption
Supplied with protective case
Operated with 9 volt battery

The CAG winner with the third most votes for the funniest fishing story will win a CAG Logo T-Shirt and other CAG logo goodies from the CAG store!!

post-1096-0-28143600-1389307597.png

So get to writing up some stories folks, a lot of great ones have already been posted up...keep em coming and remember that this contest will close of February 15th and then the voting will begin. Each Angler may submit as many different stories that they care to share. If anyone that has already submitted stories wishes to add more to their story with pics or more detail...go right ahead!!

Looking forward to more laughs...tight lines all,
Andy and Dan

While fishing a local lake & waiting for some action, I saw two mink pups feeding along the shoreline in front of me. I had just landed a few carp & their slime was heavy on my landing net that was laying near the water. One of the pups got into the net & I guess the odor of the carp attracted him. I guess he thought he was going to get a meal or maybe just having fun. He bit & tugged on the netting & I thought he would tear it up but after much effort no damage was done. I asked him what he was doing but he looked at me like I was the intruder. He stayed for a while & I had a good laugh watching him.

I'm not sure what's considered a "funny" fishing story -- something "funny/embarassing", or maybe something a bit strange or unusual ("funny/peculiar") -- but here's one of each (both true), from many years ago.

First, the "embarassing" story. My first, and all-time best fishing buddy (we began fishing together nearly 60 years ago when we were just 9 years old) missed several days of school early one spring. It seems he had been fishing with his dad on opening day of trout season, when suddenly "nature called". Despite the fairly large crowds of other fishermen, he found that he just couldn't put it off, so he made his way deep into some thick bushes to take care of the situation. Unfortunately for him -- as he discovered the next day -- the leaves he used for cleaning up were from the poison ivy vines that covered the bushes of the only secluded spot he could find. OOPS!!! Needless to say, he put up with quite a bit of good-natured ribbing for some time afterwards.

And now for the "unusual" story -- one that seems to defy all the odds. It might not be "ha-ha funny", but it's certainly "peculiar funny". I was in my mid teens and was sucker fishing with my dad. We were fishing a large tributary of the Potomac River that is several undred feet across at the spot we selected. We used a rig with a 1-ounce bank sinker tied to the end, with a #8 snelled "dropper" hook tied about 8 or 10 inches above the sinker, and a second dropper about the same distance above the first one. I was using a medium-light spinning rod with just 6 or 8 pound test line. Since we were fishing a tight line, we would prop our rods on a forked stick, and wait for the rod tip to move slightly, indicating that a sucker was biting. At that point, we would sharply lift the rod to set the hook.

Well, I hooked a good-sized sucker and fought it to the bank -- which was about 3 feet high. That meant that I had to raise the fish up the bank, since we had no long-handled net. When I attempted to lift the fish, it flopped, and broke my line just above the top dropper hook. Oh, well -- time to re-rig and try again, right? So I tied on a new rig identical to the first one, and cast to the same spot. After a few minutes, I had another "bite", set the hook, and again fought the fish to the bank. This time, I successfully got the fish up the steep bank, which is when I discovered that I hadn't actually caught the fish on my new rig. Instead, the fish that broke off a few minutes earlier was still hooked, and had dragged the trailing bank sinker across my line, and one of the little #8 hooks on my new rig had caught the sinker of the first rig -- right in the line-tie hole. Just what are the odds of a #8 hook catching in a 1/8 inch hole in a piece of lead being dragged across the bottom of a 200-foot-wide stream?

While fishing a local lake & waiting for some action, I saw two mink pups feeding along the shoreline in front of me. I had just landed a few carp & their slime was heavy on my landing net that was laying near the water. One of the pups got into the net & I guess the odor of the carp attracted him. I guess he thought he was going to get a meal or maybe just having fun. He bit & tugged on the netting & I thought he would tear it up but after much effort no damage was done. I asked him what he was doing but he looked at me like I was the intruder. He stayed for a while & I had a good laugh watching him.

Maybe the little mink heard of "Max, the Ultimate Carp Hound", and his famous "Lick and Release", but got confused and was performing "Lick After Release" instead.

Maybe the little mink heard of "Max, the Ultimate Carp Hound", and his famous "Lick and Release", but got confused and was performing "Lick After Release" instead.

Now that's funny! Never thought of that!

Cool story/funny video of the minks, not usually seen. Must have been one stinky net! :P

The poison ivy is a classic! :lol:

As for the "unusual fishing story"... great idea for another contest maybe later this year! Save it for then.

Great stuff, keep them coming!! :Banana:

Duck, Duck, Buffalo?

Because there's a first time for everything

It was the day after ATC2013 and I woke up extra early to take advantage of some post-tournament baited holes, specifically the warm water discharge swim. This swim had produced some real chunks during the tournament and I knew this cold Sunday morning was going to produce something special for me too. When I arrived the sun was coming up and I could see a layer of steam coming off the water. I could practically sense the large bodied carp and buffalo soaking up the warmth of the water as it flowed from the discharge.

duck001.jpg

A couple buddies of mine were already on the bank and reported having some runs. We were calling out rolls and crashes as they occurred and I have to admit my heart was in my throat with anticipation because these were some really large fish moving the water out in front of us. My ATC partner landed a 28-pounder (pictured below, Cliff Atkins, 2fish4everything on forum) to start things off and my inner angler was screaming, "YES!" If this was any indication of how the rest of the day was going to go then I was in for a real treat and quite possibly a new PB.

duck01.jpg

My first fish came a few hours after sunrise. A solid 13-pounder. It was a good start but not the behemoth I was looking for. I put on some more pack bait and cast out for another try.

It was about an hour later when things got strange. My right alarm reported an odd intermittent run. An inconsistent...beep beep beep......beep....beep beep....beep beep beep. It was enough action to make me strike but I was fully expecting a channel cat had taken my bait. Cats are notorious for their head shaking, broken runs. After loading the rod, I could tell this wasn't a catfish. It was something much different. It didn't lunge or run, but rather it vibrated and wiggled violently. Whatever it was I could feel it tumbling and pulling, then tumbling some more. I started to think I had hooked an odd piece of debris that was turning over or spiraling on the retrieve. My curiosity was peaked.

About three feet off the bank I could see a shape beneath the water. It was alien and looked like no fish I had ever seen. I squinted my eyes trying to cut the water's distortion to get a good ID on this catch and that's when it broke through the lake surface. A tangle of...feathers?.... and squalling duck popped up and began what I can only describe as break-dancing on top of the water. It was spinning and rolling, pausing long enough for a Quack! before repeating the performance again. I looked to my buddies with a wide open mouth, and simultaneously we all break out in a good laugh.

We got the duck netted and on the mat. My #6 Gardner Mugga was dead center in the bottom of his bill. It looks like my rig works flawlessly on ducks too. This coot was 2 pounds of seriously upset water foul. It snapped and bit relentlessly as I unraveled a length of line that had wrapped around its wing in all the tumbling and fury. I got a good hold on him and posed for my picture. There was no way I was going to miss this CPR moment.

duck1.jpg

PB Water Fowl, 2lbs 0oz. Observing the charter of CAG, I practiced good "duck" care and released him back to the lake. He flew off like the Duck Dynasty boys were waiting in the weed line for a shot. I've never seen a duck flap away so fast. I bet he thinks twice the next time he tries eating maize off the bottom in 16 feet of water.

duck2.jpg

Now I have to say I was quite a bit deflated by the whole experience. I had come for a new PB, and I didn't mean a crazy flapping duck! Doing the only thing I could do, I laughed it off, re-baited my line and setup for another...fish.

That fish came about 2 hours later. My left alarm this time peeled off in squealing WREEEEEEE! I was up and on the rod in a flash. Loading the rod up I could feel the weight of the fish. You know that heft, when you pull and the fish doesn't turn. My mind drew into keen focus on the task at hand. A small adjustment on the drag and I pumped the rod, reeled in the slack and worked the fish toward the bank. This time when I saw the fish beneath the water it was crystal clear in all its white glory. It was a pristine buffalo well over 20 pounds.

duck3.jpg

It was my new PB Smallmouth Buffalo of 28lbs even. After a few moments of appreciating this buffalo, I walked it to the water's edge and watched him slip slowly away back into the depths. It was a great angling moment capped off my one crazy duck.

duck4.jpg

Funny story, and a nice Buff, too. :)

Actually, I'm not too surprised that a duck ate your bait -- I don't know why it doesn't happen more often. I've had them try to eat maize while it's sinking when I'm spodding, but I've never had one take it off the bottom -- at least not with my hook in it.

Funny duck capture!!!

Once, a duck dove out of the sky and into the water in-front of us on the Chicago River followed by a swooping hawk. It then surfaced and raised a racket, quaking at the hawk who was now in a tree. Apparently the duck felt safe in the water and the hawk eventually moved on.

It was the craziest thing. I've caught sunglasses, a soda can and once I caught a load of fish guts, but a break-dancing duck is by far my funniest catch.

This is one of those stories that may read funny, but i can assure you that when it happened, I wasn't laughing--- It was the spring of 2012 and i was making my second trip to a newly discovered carp hot spot that I had found the week before along a popular urban river that runs through my state here in New England. The week before, I had caught two double digit fish (12 and 16lbs). These were the two first Carp i had ever caught since beginning my quest in the fall of 2011. To say that I was excited, would be a gross understatement! I was jacked up-- And now here I was ... ready for round # 2. The day was warm and comfortable and I quickly set up all my newly purchased Carpin gear. My new Fox alarms sat proudly on my new Wytchwood rod pod. And my new Okuma baitrunners were locked and loaded. Oh yeah! Two fish in two hours last week .... I should be able to catch a dozen today in four hours. Right? I'm a Pro.! I think I thought i was the next Danny Fairbrass. Needless to say... The next four hours passed slowly. Nothing. Not a tap. I rebaited often and recounted everything I had done the week before but nothing seemed to help. After a few more minutes i was getting ready to call it a day when i heard a voice from behind me, up on the bike path, call down..." Any Luck? ". I turned around to see a tall, middle aged man with his dog standing on the bike path looking down at me. I told him I was fishing for Carp and "No" I hadn;t caught anything yet. He politly asked if he could come down ( I assume) to see what I was doing. After sitting alone for 4+ hours with no action, I was more than happy to have a little company and show off all my new "high tech" fishing equipment to anybody that showed any interest at all. (even people that showed no interest) Little did i know, at this point i was about to start the craziest 15 mins.of my Carp fishing "career". It all started when "Jim" (I learned his name after) decided to unleash his giant, 100lb. very energetic, hound looking tornado of a dog prior to walking down the wooded path that led to the riverbank. It was almost as though this crazed animal had never been off a leash before and was making up for lost time. Imagine Marmaduke on bath salts! He barreled into my swim like a mini-tornado. The soft sand under his feet seemed to only excite him more. He ziged and he zaged! He barked ! He ran into the water. He ran out of the water! He jammed his huge head into every bucket and container of bait I had. At this point, his owner Jim emerged from the woods and proceeded to yell his dogs name loudly and often: Cooper!!!!!!! Cooper!!!!! Come Here!!! But as you can imagine... Cooper wasn't hearing any of it. Now he ( the dog) runs straight back into the water and snags both of my baited lines in the process. Beeeeeeep Beeeeeeep Beeeeeep. The alarms are beeping like crazy from the dog. And Jim, both embarassed and confused from all the noise and actions of his dog, marches straight into the water (with shoes on) to re-leash his psyco oversized puppy. He quickly apologizes. i quickly accept. Too stunned to do much else. We make some small talk and tried to pretend nothing just happened. Not easy. After another minute or so, I glanced at my phone for the time and announced it was time to start packing up. It really was getting late and my outlook to actually catch something looked bleek if not impossible. I quickly packed up my bait and folded up my chair and stuffed it in its bag . Now the rods and pod and I was done. Beeeeeeeeep Beeeeeeep Beeeeeeeeeeep!!! Holy Crap! Fish on!!!!!! I couldn't believe it.! The dog had disturbed my lines in the water but not enough to keep a carp from grabbing my bait. After almost 5 hrs.a fish was finally on. And to my novice feel, it was a Giant!

Jim looked baffeled. I was shaking. The fish ran left down river. I fought hard to get it to turn. It worked. The beast was coming back in our direction. It fought hard but i was not going to lose this fish. Finally, after a 4 minute fight the 18lb fish was in the net.

My new PB! YES!!! I was glowing with pride. Jim was impressed and Cooper licked it a couple of times before I slid it back into the river. Looking at my phone again for the time, I realized I was late. Not much, but late. I quickly broke down my pod and stashed my alarms into my bag. Lastly, I stuck my long handled net into my chairbag and slung it over my shoulder near my ruk sack. Like a typical Carp fisherman, I was loaded with gear and both hands were full. Jim and Cooper followed me and we began our short walk through the woods, back up to the bike path above. Halfway up the woody path my large net that I was carrying in my chairbag got tangled on a tree branch behind me. Jim quickly came up behind me and said "I got it". I waited a moment for him to untangle the net. He did and as I took my next step I heard Jim yell loudly; HEY!! LOOK OUT!!!. Those are the last words I remember hearing for the next few seconds. Apparently, the tree my net got stuck on was a standing dead tree. All 12 feet of it. And my net and possibly Jim's hand were all it took to bring that sucker down right on my head. Surprizingly enough, it didn't hurt that much but it did knock me for a loop. Jim asked me if I was alright and then Cooper licked my face. His breath smelled like Carp!! I told Jim that I was ok and then i proceeded to spit a broken tooth from my mouth into my hand. The knock to my mellon had slammed my teeth together. The final 5 minute walk back to my truck was awkward as we tried to pretend nothing had just happened. Again, Not Easy. We shook hands and went our separate ways.

Todd Richer

Guest RebelCarp

Back in my teens I fished for catfish. Me and two of my friends went down to "our" spot. There was three spots you can bank fish from. When we got there at night two of the three spots were taken. Boy I was poed. As we walked to the right spot (where I didnt want to go)a guy yells over to me. He said " better be careful over there its really muddy". I yell back " well theres no where else to go!". Then I continued to walk to the small hill proudly for letting him know what was on my mind. As soon as I reached the hill my feet launched out from underneath me. My coleman lantern flew one way and my fishing poles went the other way. When I hit the mud I also knocked the wind outta me. My friends were laughing and that same guy asked me if I was ok. I couldnt talk and when I caught my breath my friends were still laughing at me. I cleaned all the mud off me and started my night of catfishing.

to this day my friends will say " well theres no where else to go"then make a swoosh noise and they start laughing again

I deserved it :)

Guest RebelCarp

3 years ago I was flathead fishing with my buddy paul. The area we were fishing was a small river near Philadelphia. We got to our spot near a train tressel and anchored around 7pm. We fished until 2am and had some luck. Then I heard something near me by the bridge. I shined my light over and this guy appeared next to the water. I thought maybe hes fishing from 2am to light. So I just continued to watch my rods. Then the guy starts blowing up something?! All we hear is woosh woooosssh woooosshhhh. My friend said to me he must be blowing up something inappropriate. Me and him start laughing hysterically. We couldnt stop and only kept getting louder as we heard each blow. I finally grabbed the flashlight and shined it on the guy and he had no fishing poles and had his back facing us. We still dont know what he was blowing up so we called it a night before this guy killed us.

Note: this river is no more than 35 yards wide. This was not a huge river and that guy was really close.

Hello All,

The Prizes for this contest are as follows:

The CAG winner by most votes for the funniest fishing story will win a set of 2 Delkim EV Plus Alarms and their story published in the next NACA:

post-1096-0-96220100-1389306537.png

The CAG winner with the second most votes for the funniest fishing story will win a set of 2 Galaxy Alarms and their story:

post-1096-0-96318700-1389306240.png

Bite Indicator Features:

Separately adjustable volume (knob is marked V) and tone (knob is marked T)

Adjustable sensitivity (knob is marked S)

Night LED (activates by putting switch in the bottom in NL position)

Rubberized coating

Extra bright LEDs for bite indication and indication of strike

Electronic board completely sealed

Bite indication provides by magnetic sensor

Matching thread on the bank stick

Standard sounder box connection

Low battery consumption

Supplied with protective case

Operated with 9 volt battery

The CAG winner with the third most votes for the funniest fishing story will win a CAG Logo T-Shirt and other CAG logo goodies from the CAG store!!

post-1096-0-51097800-1389307671.png

So get to writing up some stories folks, a lot of great ones have already been posted up...keep em coming and remember that this contest will close of February 15th and then the voting will begin. Each Angler may submit as many different stories that they care to share. If anyone that has already submitted stories wishes to add more to their story with pics or more detail...go right ahead!!

Looking forward to more laughs...tight lines all,

Andy

If no one has a funny story then go fish with dean brookes (Brookesy) to get one. Everytime i fish with him something unbelievably weird happens. We are going to try and do a joint article on our adventures for NACA. The first time we fished together over night we had a woman in a bikini and a chiseled man in speedo's bathing in our margins, a homeless man bivvied up next to us one night while we were sleeping, a couple in a car making whoopie behind our swim and then there was the incident with a naked chinese man on a bicycle....and that was just one session. We also had the bootcamp fitness freaks in the margins at the ATC and the man who decided to spray paint his car next to mine in a local park. I will have to think of some others as i have had some right laughs on the bank over the years waking up with deer in my bivvy, a mate who cast out and hooked his chair throwing it into the lake and my buddys reel breaking so he landed a forty in france by pulling the line in by hand and keeping it tight with his TEETH!

This is one of those stories that may read funny, but i can assure you that when it happened, I wasn't laughing--- It was the spring of 2012 and ....

Todd Richer

Todd,

I enjoyed your story and it was very well written. And you're right, it does read funny but I can imagine that it wasn't funny when it was happening. And man that guy Jim is really bad luck. Hope you don't meet him and his dog again lol.

If no one has a funny story then go fish with dean brookes (Brookesy) to get one. Everytime i fish with him something unbelievably weird happens. We are going to try and do a joint article on our adventures for NACA. The first time we fished together over night we had a woman in a bikini and a chiseled man in speedo's bathing in our margins, a homeless man bivvied up next to us one night while we were sleeping, a couple in a car making whoopie behind our swim and then there was the incident with a naked chinese man on a bicycle....and that was just one session. We also had the bootcamp fitness freaks in the margins at the ATC and the man who decided to spray paint his car next to mine in a local park. I will have to think of some others as i have had some right laughs on the bank over the years waking up with deer in my bivvy, a mate who cast out and hooked his chair throwing it into the lake and my buddys reel breaking so he landed a forty in france by pulling the line in by hand and keeping it tight with his TEETH!

Geez, those stories are crazy lol. I think I need to fish with Brookesy so I can get a funny story because nothing funny ever happens when I go fishing lol.

3 years ago I was flathead fishing with my buddy paul. The area we were fishing was a small river near Philadelphia. We got to our spot near a train tressel and anchored around 7pm. We fished until 2am and had some luck. Then I heard something near me by the bridge. I shined my light over and this guy appeared next to the water. I thought maybe hes fishing from 2am to light. So I just continued to watch my rods. Then the guy starts blowing up something?! All we hear is woosh woooosssh woooosshhhh. My friend said to me he must be blowing up something inappropriate. Me and him start laughing hysterically. We couldnt stop and only kept getting louder as we heard each blow. I finally grabbed the flashlight and shined it on the guy and he had no fishing poles and had his back facing us. We still dont know what he was blowing up so we called it a night before this guy killed us.

Note: this river is no more than 35 yards wide. This was not a huge river and that guy was really close.

Good thing you guys left. Gotta be careful out there, especially very late at night...some real lunatics out there.

First, the "embarassing" story. My first, and all-time best fishing buddy (we began fishing together nearly 60 years ago when we were just 9 years old) missed several days of school early one spring. It seems he had been fishing with his dad on opening day of trout season, when suddenly "nature called". Despite the fairly large crowds of other fishermen, he found that he just couldn't put it off, so he made his way deep into some thick bushes to take care of the situation. Unfortunately for him -- as he discovered the next day -- the leaves he used for cleaning up were from the poison ivy vines that covered the bushes of the only secluded spot he could find. OOPS!!! Needless to say, he put up with quite a bit of good-natured ribbing for some time afterwards.

Geez that's crazy lol. Can't imagine how that felt....couldn't be good though lol.

Lol that's funny and great footage.

Duck, Duck, Buffalo?

Because there's a first time for everything

It was the day after ATC2013 and I woke up extra early to take advantage of....

Wow that's really odd how the duck got hooked. I've seen ducks diving in before but never thought that could actually happen lol. And great looking buffalo!

I'll give it a go. This story is circa 1999/2000 if I recall.

Back in the earlier days of CAG we were setup doing a fishing demo at Horseshoe lake near St. Louis. This lake had a great number of carp under 10lbs. We spent a couple hours setting up the table and display area which were about 75 yards from where I was setup with the rods fishing. The whole idea was people would come by the table/display and ask questions. They were then directed to see me at the water if they wanted to see the "fancy gear" in action. Thankfully the bite was killer that day. Fish were making screaming runs about every 20 minutes which would get everyones attention and they would be so excited that when I handed them the rod they didn't know what to think! We spent the morning letting everyone have a chance to battle our beautiful carp. Come afternoon the bite starts to die down a bit so Grandpa Bud heads out to get us some lunch and I there manning the table and rods. This is where the story and my rod take off! So there I am preaching the good word of carp to a group of locals when the alarm starts singing a slow run, BEEEP BEEEP BEEEP. The group starts the 75 yard walk to the rod. I on the other hand take off in a slight jog. I'm now about halfway there when the run stops..... CRAP I'm thinking, the fish dropped off.... Boy I was wrong!!! The baitrunner on the old Shimano 3500B starts screeeeeeeeaming and one notes the alarm BEEEEEEEEEEEEP!!! I full out sprint to the pod. I get about 10 yards away when the fish slows down and I watch the line that went from peeling off at the speed of light slow down and tangle around the spool. Now that the spool is locked up there's a split second pause before the rod takes off like a rocket out of the pod, smacks the alarm and shoots into the water like a torpedo. As people who have fished with me before I'm not one to be afraid of getting into the water sometimes neck deep in order to land a fish or free one from a snag. Here I am 10 yards from the pod, in a full sprint watching my rod shoot into the water.... What do you do??? Slow down? Not this guy! I make it about 4 steps across the top of the water before sinking into knee deep mud, fully clothed with 10 people watching in amazement. Hoping that the rod is stuck in the mud I search about 5 minutes and come up empty. I feel defeated and get out of the lake. Everyone is apologizing about loosing the rod and reel as I sit in anguish. This is the first time something like this has every happened to me and if it's happened to you then you know the feeling. So I regain my composure and start talking with the group. About 5 minutes of standing around the pod and talking the other rod starts this weird intermittent beeping run. Not wanting to lose another rod I strike on it only to be left with no fish on the end. As I reel it in there is the feeling of dragging some weed along with it. The hook comes up with a line running against it. I grab the line and start pulling it in and feel a pull on the other end... Can it really be the rod I just lost??? I keep pulling.... low and behold it's hooked up to a carp!!! My line!! After getting the fish safely in the net I pull in the other part of the line and get my rod back. SCORE!!! Not only did I get my rod back but I landed the thieving carp that took it! I have the picture somewhere at my grandma's house back in IL but this fish was massive. She was about 16 inches long and weighed about 2lbs! Looks like I had the last laugh. No one could believe that the luck I had that day especially me. To this day I always check that my baitrunner isn't set to loose. That's if I remember to switch it on but that's a different problem all together!

:swimminfish:

Edited by Zatesta

I'll have to have a think about what stories I can write. My fishing in America has been punctuated by lots of strange events and happenings and to be honest I just roll with the punches and nothing really surprises me anymore. I do have some classic stories from my fishing in England, but would imagine they may need to be censored for the younger audience. So many to choose from, I need to write an overview first.

Some of the stories so far have bought a smile to my face. I've had a few run-ins with Mink, hooked more ducks and fowl that I can count, fell into many lakes and rivers and out of trees, lost more than one rod to a spool explosion or mishap, broke many a rod casting or otherwise, had some epic run ins with local wild-life (animal and human alike). I'm sure I'm missing lots as some of my biggest adventures were with friends. I'll have to SKYPE a few of my mates to get my best one.

Until then, keep them coming. Life's an adventure.

Here's an embarrassing one, with a cool ending.

A few years ago, my son and I were in Austin for the ATC, and joined my partner Jim Kirkman on Emma Long (Lake Austin) for the week leading up to the competition. As we were camping, we had the 'full on' cooking set up and were all enjoying some great bankside meals, cooked by either my son or me (Jim is FAR too involved with tending his six or so reels (he calls his set ups that!) to be bothering to cook, and often goes days with nothing but an odd can of Beanie Weenie's, a packaged cup of fruit and coffee every morning. What can I say -- only, he is a star performer and loves every moment of it. About 3 days into the session, we had an incredibly productive afternoon, with many large Buffs (to over 40lbs) and some nice mid 20 commons. The baiting we were keeping up was clearly paying off and it was a very busy day. As darkness approached, my son Seamus asked what we were going to eat for dinner, and we decided Chili was a good choice. We had some cans, ground beef, onions etc, that would make a good meal for us all, 'tarted up' a little from the plain canned stuff, with kidney beans. He got cooking duty, as the fish were still biting, although it had slowed down radically from the crazy afternoon we had. At around 8pm, Jim came over and we ate a hearty bowl of 'modified' Chili, with bread & butter and a dessert of chocolate chip cookies - a bankside meal fit for Kings! The fishing got very slow as the night drew on, and I headed to the bivvy around midnight. Seamus was already doing his best interpretation of a loud chainsaw, but that didn't bother me - as I knew he was comfortable. As a baby, I swear we could have hung him by his toes from the clothes line, and he wouldn't have woken up - until he was ready to!

I'd only been on my bed chair for around half an hour, when my stomach started 'talking to me', and it got progressively worse. At around 2am, I was just about to get out and head for the Porta Potty, when I got a screaming run on one of my rods. Well, I couldn't miss that, so ran to the pod and got into what was clearly a big fish, that took off like a submarine. My irritated bowels weren't aware I was into what I knew might well be a new PB for me, and the griping pains were getting worse. Seamus was still snoozing, and Jim (who was 100yds up the bank) was laying down resting. The fish was well over 100yds from the bank, in deep water and putting up a spectacular fight --- when it finally happened. I knew if I didn't relieve my bowels, I was going to make a pretty horrible mess of my whole lower torso - and clothing, and made a snap decision. There was a big tree to the left of the swim, right on the edge of the bank - around 25yds from the pod, and I somehow managed to get over there - with the fish still taking amazing runs against the drag. How I managed to hold onto the rod, and get my pants unbelted/zipped and get bent over, I'll never know - but I did! Heshey squirts is a term I don't like using, but believe me, it didn't take many seconds to -- relieve the pressure on my tortured bowels. I blessedly had a blue shop towel in my pocket, and managed a quick (if temporary) clean up before somehow (again, I don't recall how) getting my pants at least back up and in a 'workable' state. Rather relieved, I then started hollering for help! Jim was soon sprinting down the bank, as Seamus (very bleary eyed) slowly wended his way out of the bivvy. At this point, it might be poignant to mention that my 'accident' had happened downwind of my pod, and there was a gentle breeze blowing! With Seamus standing beside me, the fish took off on another blistering run and he shone his headlight right in my eyes and quietly said "I think it's a good one Dad". Jim took netting duty, and was in the water up to his knees when we got first sight of the fish -- a huge Buff. As soon as it saw lights shining on it, it decided it didn't want to be there, and tore off on another 30yd+ run. Jim turned to me and said (in his best Carolinian's accent "Brid - that fish is warld - and they say they don't fight!" After what seemed like an age, but was probably around 20 minutes, it was on the mat -- and, what a brute it was. On the Rubens it went 52lbs 6oz, and a new PB for me (still is, with a 'back up' one of 51lbs 7oz) and we were all thrilled. My bad back wouldn't allow me to pick it up for pics, so they were taken on the mat. As she slid back home, I felt an incredible warmth come over me -- and my bowels started to grumble again! This time, I made it to the Potty, and later that night took a few buckets of water, and had a good clean up around the tree. Next morning, over a welcome cup of coffee, when I told the party about my 'adventure' with the big fish hooked, they laughed disbelievingly. I didn't push it any more, but am still amazed I pulled it off without any disasters!! To this day, I have a pet name for that beautiful fish --- Poopy! PS -- Nobody else got the trots!

Zatesta's story reminded me of an incident from nearly 50 years ago, when I was fishing at a paylake in southern PA. We were enjoying catching a few carp one Saturday afternoon. Being the weekend, the lake had a number of "occasional" fishermen who had no clue about carp fishing, so they were using worms and not catching much. We were chatting with the group fishing next to us, and offered to share our bait (doughballs) and a few suggestions. One young guy tried some of my home made dough, cast out, and just laid his rod down at the edge of the water. I warned him to anchor the rod to prevent a biting carp from pulling it in the water, and also suggested loosening his drag. Next thing I knew, his lightweight webbed lawn chair was skidding across the ground, with a rod handle stuck in the webbing of the seat and the rod bent sharply across the chair's back. The chair -- and the rod and reel -- all went flying into the lake. Fortunately, it was only about 3 feet deep at that point, so the guy ran into the water chasing his chair and rod. He was lucky enough to reach them before the carp got too far from shore and into deeper water. I seem to recall that he even managed to land the fish, but that was a looonngg time ago, and I can't remember that detail for sure. :Old:

Anyway, we got a real charge out of watching that carp pull his chair and rod across about 10 or 15 feet of bank and into the water, and then watching him chase them into the lake.

Edited by needmotime2fish