Carp Anglers Group Forums
Mario Kok

It's that time of the year again; what exactly is SCOPEX?

Guest RebelCarp

Butter nut. I used it last year and will be using it this year.

Skammer says it smells like popcorn :)

Guest RebelCarp

You can catch a catfish on any carp bait. Even unscented artificals.

fishy flavors are "catfish bait".

Scopex isnt one of them. Cant wait to catch carp in catfish infested waters with scopex.

what flavors are not considered catfish bait? Im very interested.

Don't know....still use it.....and still get some fish on it ;)........LOL

The original Scopex was developed by Rod Hutchinson and he has never given up the info. as to 1) Why it was named Scopex 2) What the ingredients were.

While many companies have copied Scopex, the original version is no longer available (Not even from Rod Hutchinson baits....even if they tell you otherwise!!).

This is due to the fact that many of the original flavor houses where the products were sourced from no longer exist and also because the food regulations changed.

Not saying the current crop of Scopex flavors don't work, just that they are all copies of a product that no longer exists.

Personally, I've used Scopex in several combinations and while I have had success and do rate it, there are other flavors I much prefer.

I don't know everything that is in scopex but I do know that the reason for it's success is the artificial butter flavour used in it. If you take a drop of scopex and put it on a piece of cardboard or paper. You can come back the next day and the artificial butter flavour will still be lingering and probably for days after.. When they first started putting artificial butter flavour on microwave popcorn I remember walking in the grocery store and you could smell it as you passed by . This is right through all of the packaging. It was really strong and I did not like it. This stuff also has the ability to cut through or compete with other scents in the water.I think this is what made it so successful on British carp lakes and this is why butternut is a favourite with the paylakers.

The "buttery" flavour in Scopex is achieved by adding a chemical called Diacetyl.

Back in the day we had two versions of Scopex analyzed, one from Hutchinson and the one I preferred which was from Nash.

We made our own version which was closer to the Nash recipe and had great success with it. In fact we still make it and catch with it today.

The biggest problem we found with the flavour was getting it to "cary" into the boilie mix. It would smell great in the liquid form but practically disappear when added to the mix.

Solved it in the end by using a little more solvent (no pun intended!!) but it's one of those flavours where less is definitely more. If it smells really buttery to you, you're probably using too much.

Will,

Thank You for the clarification!! I have used it for a long time as well with success in Germany and in France. I would love to get some of the Old Stuff as they say, but use what I can get now. It is an attractant that has worked best for me in warmer weather.

The "buttery" flavour in Scopex is achieved by adding a chemical called Diacetyl.

Back in the day we had two versions of Scopex analyzed, one from Hutchinson and the one I preferred which was from Nash.

We made our own version which was closer to the Nash recipe and had great success with it. In fact we still make it and catch with it today.

The biggest problem we found with the flavour was getting it to "cary" into the boilie mix. It would smell great in the liquid form but practically disappear when added to the mix.

Solved it in the end by using a little more solvent (no pun intended!!) but it's one of those flavours where less is definitely more. If it smells really buttery to you, you're probably using too much.

Mario

THIS is Scopex:

post-439-0-31392400-1389462107.jpg

......and if anyone has any of the same vintage going spare I'm in the market. I'm down to my last 25ml so I can only use it to make hookbaits these days. :titanic:

THESE are Bill Dowler's Scopex boilies:

post-439-0-90785200-1389462335.jpg

I've done OK with them in the US but am becoming sufficiently middle-aged and neurotic to suspect that they don't quite have the "legs" of baits made with the old stuff. :o

Iain

Mario

THIS is Scopex:

post-439-0-31392400-1389462107.jpg

......and if anyone has any of the same vintage going spare I'm in the market. I'm down to my last 25ml so I can only use it to make hookbaits these days. :titanic:

THESE are Bill Dowler's Scopex boilies:

post-439-0-90785200-1389462335.jpg

I've done OK with them in the US but am becoming sufficiently middle-aged and neurotic to suspect that they don't quite have the "legs" of baits made with the old stuff. :o

Iain