Carp Anglers Group Forums
  • Announcements

I'm pleased and a little surprised by the overwhelmingly positive feedback to my recent announcement of TeamUSA Carp Squad, for the upcoming 2014 World Carp Championships. Thanks ALL, for your interest and support, I know all the guys in the Carp Squad appreciate your enthusiasm!

An ideal scenario for me would be having 8 Anglers and me, at the World Carp Championship in Romania, in October. This would allow me to focus on my captain's duties and also field a couple of reserves, ready, trained and willing to step in if we have anyone develop an injury during the 72 hours of the tournament.

So, I know it's a "big ask", but I'm wondering; is there anyone out there who would be willing to attend a TeamUSA Carp Squad Trial? I've asked the USF3 if i can hold another Carp Squad Trial, probably in the late Spring, and they are certainly supportive. Before you answer "Sure!" I should of course give you the elevator pitch on what it takes to get in the Carp Squad:

1. Able to cast a WCC-compliant Carp rig a minimum of 150 yds, throughout a 72-hour Tournament

2. Familiar with WCC-compliant long-range groundbaiting methods, and experienced at using at least two of the approved methods, throughout a 72-hour Tournament

3. Familiar with the WCC-compliant Carp rigs, and experienced in their construction, tactical use, and applicability for different baits and conditions

4. US Citizen and valid US Passport Holder (Green Card Holders working through their US Citizenship may also apply for the Trial for 2015 Carp Squad places, as they may also be eligible under the FIPSed “Foreign Angler” rule)

5. Willing to contribute a minimum of $1,000 towards your personal travel and TeamUSA Carp Squad costs

6. Able to take a minimum of 10 days vacation, to attend the World Carp Championships

7. Physically fit enough to make a working commitment to the Team, throughout several days of preparation, intensive training, and the entire 72 hours of the World Carp Championships

8. Able to make a Carp Squad Trial, probably in Mid-May (Venue TBA), where we can run through a Trial with you (details provided on request, but basically it will be proving you can tests 1, 2, 3, and 7, above).

Hope I haven't put you off? If you are interested (and, it may be that you would be interested in 2015, rather than this year?), PLEASE pm me here, or give me a call on 920-246-3434, or reply to the TeamUSA Carp Squad Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/TeamUSAcarpsquad

Thanks in advance, and if you have any questions, please let me know and I will try and find you the answers.

Tight Lines!

Lee

Edited by Lee Young

Hello

I wont be citizen till 2016 but id like to ask more info about WCC rules (rigs,grounbait) for some practise .

Maybe once citizen ill try out

Thank you

This guy ;)

Hi Folks, I'm going to suggest that (rather than post everything up here) I direct you to the Facebook Page (above), where I'm loading up detailed information on the event. I have the FIPSed Rules, Video footage from the last World Carp Championship, and will be adding more information as it arrives.

Hi Folks, I've just announced the 2014 Team USA Carp Squad Trial on the Facebook Page; here are the main details as well:

Calling All US Carp Tournament Anglers!

Date - Saturday May 10 @ 12:00 Noon (we may also hold the Trial again on Sunday, same time, if any Angler just can't make the Saturday Trial)

Location - Lake Andrea, Pleasant Prairie, WI (off Interstate 94, a few miles North of the IL border)

Attend the Open Trial ($25 Donation to cover expenses) and try to qualify for the Team USA Carp Squad. We still have a couple of places yet to fill for the 2014 World Carp Championship (Romania).

If you want to try out for the Team, but don't have the time or money to attend this years World Carp Championship, your Qualified Carp Squad status will also be good for Team USA Call-Up in future years.

To Attend, reply to this Event, donate your $25 using the Tickets Tag below (email lee_s_young@yahoo.com with your Name, Address, and Phone Number, to confirm you have made a donation), or request to pay in cash on the day.

I've also copied the Trial Model here:

The 2014 Team USA Carp Squad Trial will cover the following tests:

1. Pre-Trial Checks:
A. Angler can build an effective long range rig (Std. helicopter, Std. chod stiff rig, distance in-line, etc.) - 10 points
B. Angler can build an effective baiting model (Boilie PVA, Crush PVA, Stick PVA, Boilie Stringer, possibly PVA bag, if needed?) - 10 points
C. Angler understands loose feeding model & tools (Spod, Throwing Stick, Hand Catapult, possibly Range Catapult, if needed?) - 10 points

2. 100 yd Trial:
A. Angler & Coach confirm clipped rig on an accurate 100 yds (use rangefinder, and far bank static marker or marker float). Allow Angler a few casts to get range and accuracy then;
B. 10/10 or more casts to clip and within 3 yds of target (record score) - 10 points
C. Accurate casting over 30 minutes, with selected baiting model (e.g. Boilie PVA, etc.) - record % of on-target casts - up to 100 points

3. 125 yd Trial:
A. Accurate 125 yds on clip, into a cross-wind if possible
B. 7/10 or more casts to clip and within 5 yds of target, all casts within 10 yds of target (record) - 20 points
C. Accurate casting over 60 minutes, with selected baiting model (Crush PVA) - record - up to 100 points

4. 150 yd Trial:
A. Accurate 150 yds on clip, into a cross-wind if possible
B. 5/10 or more casts to clip and within 7 yds of target (record) - 30 points
C. Accurate casting over 90 minutes, with selected baiting model (Stick PVA) - record - up to 100 points

5. Max Range Trial:
A. Keep adding 1 rod length (4 yds/12 ft) onto 150 yd clip, record where Angler maxes out
B. Record % of casts to clip and within 10 yds of target, over 30 minutes - up to 100 points
C. Wait 10 minutes, then record next 10 casts at max. range. - up to 100 points

6. Feeding Trial:
Record Anglers ability (and learning capacity) with two different loose feeding methods;
10 minutes per method - up to 5 points per method

Maximum Score = 600 points.

Edited by Lee Young

Last call for the Open Trials for Saturday May 10th. I have 3 Anglers signed up, and the President of the USF3 will be attending as our FIPSed/CIPS Official. The rest of the TeamUSA Carp Squad will also be flying and driving in, to welcome the Anglers to the Trials and keep them company through each of the disciplines. There's no truth to the rumor that I will require everyone to run around Lake Andrea to prove their fitness, though... I'll be reserving that little exercise for our pre-Breakfast warm-up on Sunday...

Spectators are of course very welcome, and I believe there will be some Raffle prizes and a 50:50 payout, for those attending. We will be meeting up at 12:45pm for the Trials start at 1:00pm; please pm me here, reply to this post, or call me at 920-246-3434, if you are interested in attending.

So I believe this year the 2014 WCC is back on lake Corbu in Romania? If so it's the same lake that got heavily criticised by the media for cheating with bait application. The locals and a select few other countries we're let in on the secret of the type of bait being used to feed on the fish on and the distances at which they'd been fed at from static boats. Ultimately those fishing on that bait all competed for the win and those that didn't, well, didn't!

I think the stamp of fish is around the 5lb mark so it's effectively match fishing tactics rather than big carp wild water tactics. Lots and lots of fish we're caught but they were all really small. I read that the South African team dumped a total of £80k or $130k on the Portugal debacle last year to finish dead last and the Korda sponsored England team spent even more! Sounds like you have your work cut out Lee!

Yes, Marcus, although I'd suggest that the media really didn't raise the ruckus... it seemed to originate from the Sponsor of one of the National Teams that didn't do quite as well as they had expected, and the "big story" was leaked some time after the event itself?

I tend to be a little skeptical of "after the event whining". All Team Captains have a clear mandate to raise a formal complaint to the International Jury if any cheating is discovered or suspected, complete with a cash deposit, and within the time allowed for formal complaints, as defined in the FIPSed Rules.

The fish on Lac Corbu II have grown on a bit since 2012, but yes, typically FIPSed World Carp Championship venues have a big head of smaller fish. Again, that's in the Rules, FIPSed Delegates prefer to see Championships where lots of fish are caught. It's definitely more often that UK Carp Match style tactics are needed, with the best Teams aiming to catch more than 500 small fish rather than the "sit and wait" for maybe 5 big fish over the 72-hour period.

I don't have anything like the sponsorship and the budget of either South Africa or England... but maybe that's also one of the reasons why I chose not to field a Team in Portugal last year?

So do you have similar waters in the US that hold large heads of small carp that you can practise on? As you know the UK Carp Match tactics in the F1/F2 loaded lakes call for waggler tactics and small method feeders fishing pellet/corn, not 3oz leads and boilies.

I wouldn't expect you to give away tactics but it must be a tough call to make on the fishing style your team adopt. You have to make sure all the kit goes with you and try to cover for every eventuality - having fished numerous internaltional carp matches I know what a ball ache the planning can be. My only certainty has been the style of fishing to adopt so the planning sits within a set parameter around that, where yours is wide open!

Lots of respect Lee for taking on this challenge, I certainly don't envy you but I wish you the very best of luck!

Unfortunately Marcus, the FIPSed Rules are very specific; hair rigs and boilies, no method feeders, no float fishing, etc.

We actually have several lakes in the US absolutely stuffed with small Carp; trouble is that these are also very "easy" waters... Not too difficult to catch up to 30 fish an hour.

We are about to leave for Italy; bags nearly all packed, and most issues overcome. Thanks for all your support, and we will try and update our progress on our Facebook Page: http://Facebook.com/teamusacarpsquad

Edited by accordbw

Just who might be the anglers that are representing the USA?? sorry but I missed it.

Is there a single natural born American on team U.S.A., including the coach?? Is there a single angler on this team that might represent any form of traditional U.S A. carp angling? Looks like Euro guys using Paylake baits disguised as USA anglers. Someone please tell me I'm wrong....

Tom.

Is there a single natural born American on team U.S.A., including the coach?? Is there a single angler on this team that might represent any form of traditional U.S A. carp angling? Looks like Euro guys using Paylake baits disguised as USA anglers. Someone please tell me I'm wrong....

Tom.

I'm assuming you mean a 'Native' American bow hunter right Tom???

why hold this on a lake whereby you have to put loads of fish back because they are under a measly 1.5kg? hope team usa's baits out fish mainlines crap.

as an aside to tom....not surprised your whining about natural born anglers. you wouldn't pass the casting trials mate. since when did an American grandmother not count anyway. see video below for a casting lesson.

also see follow my leader and some serious sour grapes. fips who again holding it at the same lake?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taFjWKjLh6Q

So the main sponsors are a US bait company & US rod manufacturer sounds good to me so far.

There is no prize money involved just expenses so perhaps that put off many folk from entering their names?

Instead of whining about who's on the team why not get behind those who made the massive effort and dug deep to represent the USA at this event?

I'm proud to have had a small part in sponsoring and supporting the Team.

Go Team USA!

Right on Iain!

And thanks to all of the sponsors, as well as all of those who stepped up to represent the US!

Go Team USA!