Carp Anglers Group Forums
  • Announcements

Clay34

Short outting paid big dividends

I had a client reschedule an apt so I had a small block of time available. I ran to the river with fly rod in tow. As I was checking out places where I had good experiences in the past I finally found a group of carp feeding on the surface and just below in a current break along a scum line. While I like to throw weighted flies in other situations, this time the presentation called for a very neutrally boyant fly. If it weighted too much it sank right past their feeding zone at too fast of a pace.

One the things that I have done more often is that if I find a pattern that I like but the fish don't react to the fly in any way, I change patterns much quicker than what I use to. These days if I put the fly in the "spot" where fish can see it and eat it and there is no response from several fish, I will do as little as three cast to a group and change flies. This was the case on this outting. First two flies were go to patterns without so much as a body shift or a positional change. Third pattern in 5 mins of fishing hit pay dirt. Nice common came to the net. Second fish was a respectable fish in size and was thinking NEW SCREEN SAVER, third fish was on an ant pattern dry fly by Kelly Gallop called an Ant Acid. Forth fish was the smallest of the day. Then it happened.

A new pod of carp, farther out on the edge. A longer double haul cast, two twitches and on the thrid twitch there was weight on the line. I knew that the fish was larger since the 7 wt wasn't moving it much. As she came closer I could see the very identifiable head shape and mouth of a BUFF! I didn't horse the fish in and took my time with the 8 pound Vanish I was running as tippet. Finally found my new screen saver for the day.

post-3296-0-84266000-1399822744_thumb.jp

Thanks for the story, never thought of catching a Buff on the fly.

Caught 4 commons the same day (last Thursday - just posting the story now). This one was one of the nicer fish.

post-3296-0-77002200-1399827592_thumb.jp

Looks like a big mouth buff to me too.

Nice fish

Got to get out the skinny stick and try for some gold or go where the buffalo are roaming.