Carp Anglers Group Forums
  • Announcements

FiSherwood

The Northern Angler - FF for Carp

Fly Fishing for Carp Tournament-Saturday June 14, 2014

Join us for a fun day of angling on the Bay! Our 4th Annual Fly Fishing for Carp Tournament. Teams meet at the shop at 9:30 and people will be assigned teams. Three divisions-Wade anglers, powerboats and kayaks will head out to Grand Traverse Bay or local lakes in search of Golden Bones. This is a great way to kick off our flats fishing season, so join in the fun! This is strictly a tournament for fun and sport, so no need to take it that seriously-get out and fly fish for carp!

Prizes will be awarded for the ugliest, largest, smallest and most carp...

That sounds awesome Brian, some very good fish to be had flyfishing up there!

In planning to chuck some fluff!

Well, I went out with another area fly fisherman after some carp. We went to the Old Mission Peninsula, waded out a good quarter to a third of a mile in some of the rocky/sandy shallows, and we able to spot several pods of cruising carp; some of them were high twenties, I estimate, but most were teens... hard to tell in the crystal clear water of the area. I was able to present a fly to many of them, and spooked most of them. Had one follow a short distance before turning aside. The clear water made for some tricky wading, though; many places looked a lot shallower than they were, which leads up to my next adventure... I stepped in water that was over the tops of my waders, almost to my chin, and so I had to make a cold wade back to shore to get dry and warm again, cutting my day short. Water temps still in the upper forties to lower fifties...brrr!

It was very exciting fishing and I'm sure I'll do it again.

Fly fishing for carp is one of the most frustrating but rewarding types of fishing. They can be tough to fool! Fly fishing for trout is like child's play compared to fly fishing for carp.