Carp Anglers Group Forums
Buckeye Bob

Ohio Fish In; June 6-8, Westbranch State Park

Ohio has a Fish In scheduled for West Branch State Park, Jun 6-8. http://parks.ohiodnr.gov/Portals/parks/PDFs/parks/Maps/West_Branch/westbranchparkmap.pdf Exact location is at the east end of the lake where Gilbert Rd runs right into a large parking lot.

Camping is available in the park, however, it's not within walking distance to the fishing area and there is no camping allowed on the bank: open faced shelters are allowed.

A restroom is available in the area as well as a covered picnic area. There will be a saturday noonish cookout...I'll be bringing brats, buns, grill and charcoal. Someone has mentioned that they may greatly upstage the brats with a specially prepared meal. :)

Hotels and restaurants are available within close driving distance to the venue.

This location has been a Fish In location several times and accounted for a lot of carp:

post-4-0-31769800-1400458929_thumb.jpg

Current standings for our "pursuit of gold" Big Fish for 2014 Fish In's is http://www.carpanglersgroup.com/forum/index.php?/topic/53350-ohio-2014-big-fish-awards/

Gold: Vince, 20 lb 4oz

Silver: Dick, 20 lb 1 oz

Bronze: Vince, 19 lb even

We have since received a second set of medals to be awarded in November for the "BIG 4" for 2014. Combined weight of biggest 4 fish caught at a Fish In, by a CAG member. Soooo...this will be the first Fish In for entries for these medals. The first step is to get 4 on the board...and then cull from there.

Going to be fun...and remember, you don't have to be a CAG member to attend any of our Fish In's, come on out and join us. See you on the bank.

Edited by Buckeye Bob

Planning to be up there Saturday morn. Only for the day with the kids. I'll bring up my can cooker and either do Portuguese Pork and red potatoes or chicken. Not sure which yet...still have to see what is available at the market. LOL!

Look forward to seeing your can cooker in action Shawn...sounds great. See you there.

I'll be there sometime Friday morning. Anyone camping at the state park? I was looking for a place to stay but I wasn't sure where since we can't camp on the bank. I was thinking maybe Ill just park in the lot and then walk a few hundred feet into the woods and set up my bivvy if need be.

I'm going to take a look at the campsites up there but may just grab a cat nap in the van when necessary.

I'll be there on Saturday minus the kids. Looks like Grandma wants them for the day ;) See everyone Saturday morn!

Just a reminder, this is the first Fish In to count on our 2014 Big 4 contest...so everyone's goal should be to get 4 fish on the board and start culling. Membership in CAG is not required to attend a Fish In but...is required to enter the Big 4 contest. All fish weights must be verified by another angler at the Fish In and then text/call the catch to me; 740 670-3962; I'll be keeping a running record of the results and update/post them up after each Fish In. Gold, Silver and Bronze medals will be awarded in November at the end of the Fish In.

Looking like 10+ are planning on attending this weekend, good stuff. I plan on arriving by noon on Friday...see ya on the bank.

Noon is probably when I'll be showing up as well. Realized I have a decent amount of work I need to get done beforehand so I might be up kinda late Thursday night getting everything ready. See everyone there!

Had another great time at an Ohio Fish In...13 people were in attendance, and the Westbranch fish were very cooperative and caught by all. Bill Syler grilled up some hot dogs for everyone around noon on saturday to be followed around 3:30 by Portuguese Pork (pork chops, potatos, carrots, onions n gravy) cooked in a "Can Cooker" from scratch by Shawn W. GREAT food enjoyed by all; thanks for the effort Bill and Shawn, great job.

The only downside to the weekend is that it was the last Fish In for one of our members, Phill Davies and his wife Jan. Not only have they both attended most Fish In's in the last 2 years but Phill also won the CCC this last year in Indianapolis. Phill is a world class match fisherman from Wales who has been working in Ohio for the last 2 years and his company has called him back home, later this month, to Wales. Truly an outstanding angler and even more so a fantastic person....they will both be missed by us all.

Here's a picture of Phill with a Westbranch carp.

post-4-0-16622600-1402267483_thumb.jpg

Following are some other pictures I was able to take/gather..I'm sure others will have more to post up.

Josh, brand new member and first Fish In...great job Josh.

post-4-0-71516400-1402267636.jpg

Shawn W., a previous state chair, often our chef and great angler

post-4-0-33177800-1402267751_thumb.jpg

Richie and his wife Billie with one of their many. They fished down by the boat ramp and had many non-carp anglers talking about carp fishing by the end of the day.

post-4-0-31884500-1402268080_thumb.jpg

Dick L., in fairness he doesn't sit much..I waited til he sat down and quickly took the picture. Dick has only missed a couple of the CCC's since CAG's inception. He seldom misses a Fish In, has weigh marshalled many events on the St Lawrence and Baldwinsville, and with his partner Richie, won the Baldwinsville event last fall....by the way folks, he's in his 70's.

post-4-0-56817100-1402268299_thumb.jpg

Here's a pic of Vince being Vince....ever helpful, whether helping to tie a hair rig, providing tackle to someone new, netting and taking pics of fellow anglers fish...also a previous state chair and very regular attendee at our Fish In's. He caught a bunch this weekend and is presently our Gold and Bronze medal holder in our 2014 Big Fish contest.

post-4-0-73464500-1402269518_thumb.jpg

Yours truly even managed a few fish...the spawn was just beginning and this one deposited some eggs on my mat.

post-4-0-71120200-1402269006_thumb.jpg

Hot rods for the weekend were probably Bill and Patricia, their all night company made for a most enjoyable evening...not to mention the hot coffee on the foggy saturday morning.

A big thanks to all who attended, having the Fish In in the northeast enabled me to meet several anglers I'd not met before or not seen in a long time. No change in the Medal race for 2014 Big Fish and don't have all the results in yet to tabulate the 2014 Big 4 medal race. I'll be checking with Larry tomorrow and see about the July event in the Dayton area. See y'all on the bank.

Edited by Buckeye Bob

Had a great time this weekend. Been too long since I've spent time bankside with good friends. Looking forward to the event in August on the O HI O :) Thanks again to everyone!

Oh...and that picture of Dick L is a classic! I didn't even realize he sat in his chair on Saturday. LOL.

Another excellent weekend with a bunch of great people! Thanks to everyone who made it out and to those who supplied lunch, Bill and Shawn. Glad I got to meet you at Alum Phill and point you in the direction of the club. It's been a pleasure you fish with you over the past couple of years. Thanks for all the baits!

Look forward to seeing everyone at the next one I can attend.

Here are a few photos:

hCltNw8.jpg
yUZkUrl.jpg
dn4ZY6F.jpg
658tVwY.jpg

Looks like another wonderful time was had by all. So sorry I missed it life really seems to be getting in the way of fishing lately.