Carp Anglers Group Forums
zippyFX

Carp on the South Nation

I was trying for suckers and redhorse on the south nation today. I new Carp was a possibility. I got an aggresive strike and as I reeled it in I noticed it was a nice size carp. I must have been sloppy because my line broke at the knot (I was using 6lb Fluro); I was kicking myself. I picked up my backup rod (another ultra-light), baited it up and tossed it in quickly. Given the activity I was seeing under the surface I thought a pod might be moving in. Within another minute I had an aggressive strike. After a good fight on the UL gear with a lot of give and take I landed a PB carp. I did not weigh or measure but I called it at about 4-5 lbs.

wc27Ruf.jpg

Knowing Carp was a possibility I had setup medium rod with a feeder and a hair rig setup with popup corn. It was funny. I tossed it in and let it sit for about 15 minutes. There was a lot of activity on the line but no takers. I reeled it back to find that the feeder that had been baited with breadflake and corn had been sucked bare without a take on the pop up corn. With the water being very murky it probably when un-noticed. I guess I should have buried hook in the feeder. Lesson learned.

After about another hour I got another solid strike which I started reeling and identified as another Carp that seemed to be the same size as the one I got previously. Playing it diligently with the UL rod I let the rod take the much of the weight and letting it play out some drag. I reached over to get my net and then it flipped the hook. Dang!

Congrats on the PB !!!

As you quickly learned, carp that size can be a lot of fun on light tackle. They can also be quite a challenge (but that's part of the fun). Knots are definitely a major issue when using light line, and if not carefully tied, they can result in breakoffs. Here's a link to a U-Tube video showing several reliable knots. You might try them all and decide which works best for you.

Good luck and "Tight lines".

Edited by needmotime2fish

Congratulations on the PB Zippy. Funny how you beef up your set up for the carp and they still go for your presentation on the Ultra-lite. I wonder if your tidier set up with the lighter line was the key on that day?

Great catch.. I love fishing the feeder or float with light lines.. I normally use 6-8lb hooklengths, sometimes 2lbs, Light lines are the trick sometimes..

Looks like you had a good time and learned some too. Thanks for sharing.

... Here's a link to a U-Tube video showing several reliable knots. You might try them all and decide which works best for you.

Good luck and "Tight lines".

I recently found this new knot, which is also easy to tie:

Video: How to Tie the Davy Knot and Double Davy Knot | Orvis News

http://www.orvis.com/news/fly-fishing/video-how-to-tie-the-davy-knot-and-double-davy-knot/?adv=352841&cm_mmc=linkshare-_-je6NUbpObpQ-_-1-_-352841

See my thread on 16 May 2014 about knots. Several people have replied with some great information on specific knots for specific lines, particularly braid.