Carp Anglers Group Forums
Guest RebelCarp

zigs

Guest RebelCarp

How many guys out there having success using these?

One of my worries is not the catfish anymore but every other fish in that water column.

How do you guys rig your zigs? I may buy some stuff from carpkit to get started zigging.

My first fish on a zig was a catfish lol

I haven't had any problems with other species like panfish or bass. Seems to be either a carp or nothing.

In shallow water (less than 10') I simply use a length of 8 - 12lb fluoro for the required depth (which is usually anything from 25-90% of the water depth) hair rigged to a #10 hook with a piece of foam mounted on the hair. All you need to ensure is that the foam is able to suspend the hook and length of line.

I avoid line tangles by wrapping a PVA foam nugget around the hook link swivel and then passing the hook point through the foam.

On the rare occasions that I fish deeper water I then use the Fox Mini Halo system http://www.bigcarptackle.com/tackle/marker-floats/marker-floats/fox-mini-halo-zig-float-kit

Guest RebelCarp

In shallow water (less than 10') I simply use a length of 8 - 12lb fluoro for the required depth (which is usually anything from 25-90% of the water depth) hair rigged to a #10 hook with a piece of foam mounted on the hair. All you need to ensure is that the foam is able to suspend the hook and length of line.

I avoid line tangles by wrapping a PVA foam nugget around the hook link swivel and then passing the hook point through the foam.

On the rare occasions that I fish deeper water I then use the Fox Mini Halo system http://www.bigcarptackle.com/tackle/marker-floats/marker-floats/fox-mini-halo-zig-float-kit

Thank you!

This much easier than the other way I was going to try.

Guest RebelCarp

Can you use larger hooks?

And would you recommend a running rig or bolt?

Slightly off-topc: I will be starting to fish with zigs this coming spring season with CarpQuest. I have never used them before. I hope to go over the equipment I acquired for zig fishing, the setup, the theory, and those first few casts (likely nightmare tangles), frustration, and finally some nice carpy captures - at least, that's the master plan ! I wanted to help others learn to not be afraid to try something new, get out there, give zigs a serious try and get some success ! Streeker, i'm sure if you stick at the zigs, then the bigger fish will come!

Edited by JohnFinney