Carp Anglers Group Forums

This is a shout out and massive kudos to Johnson Ross Tackle shop in Herts. in the UK.

(www.johnsonross.co.uk)

I ordered three new rods and reels from this dealer on the weekend.

They shipped them on Monday morning via Fedex and they arrived at my house in PA on Tuesday morning.

I still don't know how that was possible.

The order was very well packaged and everthing arrived in excellent condition.

Anthony Johnson at the shop was extremely helpful while taking the order over the phone as were his staff members to whom I spoke about a couple of other items I'm looking into.

Great service.

I would recommend this organisation if you're contemplating shipping any gear from the UK.

It's a crap shoot, it tends to happen more with big ticket items than smaller packages. Got an import bill from FedEx for a bivvy but not for a reel or a separate package of smaller rig items.

Guest RebelCarp

I got a extra fee of $33 a month later from ordering from johnsonross. The total cost of items was around $800. And I paid around $75 shipping.

But customer service and packaging was awesome

I had three custom rods built from Vic Gibson through Johnson Ross tackle this spring and I will add to their shipping and professionalism was as good as you can get. From their shop to my front door in 18hrs. Insane. Anthony knew I needed them in time for my fishing trip and made it happen. I did receive a bill from fedex though due to the amount I spent. Worth every penny!

• 2 months later...

I wait till I have visitors coming out from the UK - then bargain shop at Danson Angling for some deals, last year I picked up the Trakker Tundra suit for 50 quid- ebay UK is also worth a swing. The rest of the year I find BCT and CKI have me covered- when I go back to the UK I hit the carp cabin in Cambridge- I then soak up the local fisheries in that part of the country, best carp fishing in the country in that region in my opinion.

• 1 month later...

Fedex and sometimes UPS slam you with that so called "import taxes fee" . It has nothing to do with the US Customs or the government, It is a mafia style tax that these 2 companies hit you with. The best proof is the fact that they do it with stuff you buy from Canada, when the NAFTA treaty obviously forbids that. I also have friends in Canada and when they buy stuff from the US and use Fedex or UPS, same thing happens to them. Solution ? ANything you buy from abroad, Canada, Europe, Antarctica, only accept and choose shipping by post offices . No Fedex and no UPS. Johnson is a very good tackle company but they refuse to ship by mail, the best alternative IMHO is harrissportsmail.

• 2 weeks later...

Fedex and sometimes UPS slam you with that so called "import taxes fee" . It has nothing to do with the US Customs or the government, It is a mafia style tax that these 2 companies hit you with. The best proof is the fact that they do it with stuff you buy from Canada, when the NAFTA treaty obviously forbids that. I also have friends in Canada and when they buy stuff from the US and use Fedex or UPS, same thing happens to them. Solution ? ANything you buy from abroad, Canada, Europe, Antarctica, only accept and choose shipping by post offices . No Fedex and no UPS. Johnson is a very good tackle company but they refuse to ship by mail, the best alternative IMHO is harrissportsmail.

Yes, you're right...... BUT, fedex just charged me $80 on an order that went over $2500 and I got it the next day, from England!! the next day!!! It was worth the 80 bucks to me. On the last order I got from there, for about the same amount, I didn't get any surcharge at all.... go figure!!! ....... Bill D.

I think you'll find NAFTA only applies to trade in goods manufactured in North America. So if goods are made in the UK for instance then import duty will still apply when shipped across the US / Canada border.

It also applies to duty ratable items shipped via USPS as the package requires a customs value and origin declaration to be attached to the package.

I think you'll find NAFTA only applies to trade in goods manufactured in North America. So if goods are made in the UK for instance then import duty will still apply when shipped across the US / Canada border.

It also applies to duty ratable items shipped via USPS as the package requires a customs value and origin declaration to be attached to the package.

Yes and no. For example, Nafta says that if a product imported from UK into the US has paid import customs taxes, it is exempt from customs taxes if imported into again into Canada from the US.

But again, laws don't apply to the Fedex and UPS thing, they will charge you a fee for themselves, not for the government.

Yes and no. For example, Nafta says that if a product imported from UK into the US has paid import customs taxes, it is exempt from customs taxes if imported into again into Canada from the US.

But again, laws don't apply to the Fedex and UPS thing, they will charge you a fee for themselves, not for the government.

No other country of origin, such as imported from the UK going through the USA into Canada or Mexico, is included under the NAFTA trade agreement. It applies only to products 'wholly' derived & manufactured in North America.

There is a 'process' that allows goods imported 'temporarily into the USA and then exported to say Canada to apply for a refund of duty. But it is not an an easy process or by any means guaranteed.

On the subject of Fedex and UPS - yes of course they charge a fee for customs clearance. It is generally around $25 per shipment which I can tell you is M-U-C-H less than other commercial shipping operations. This is because Fedex and UPS have set up their own operations to clear goods instead of 'hiring' a broker.

No other country of origin, such as imported from the UK going through the USA into Canada or Mexico, is included under the NAFTA trade agreement. It applies only to products 'wholly' derived & manufactured in North America.

There is a 'process' that allows goods imported 'temporarily into the USA and then exported to say Canada to apply for a refund of duty. But it is not an an easy process or by any means guaranteed.

On the subject of Fedex and UPS - yes of course they charge a fee for customs clearance. It is generally around $25 per shipment which I can tell you is M-U-C-H less than other commercial shipping operations. This is because Fedex and UPS have set up their own operations to clear goods instead of 'hiring' a broker.

They shouldn't charge anybody any fee. When the shipper in UK gets a shipping estimate from Fedex, that should be it. If the US government has a problem with the merchandise, they should send us a bill, that way will know it's a real fee. I bought a lot of stuff from Europe and Australia, always used post office, NEVER got charged a dime by the post office. I bought a used book for 4$ from Canada and UPS wanted a 20$ "Mafia" fee? Really? I never gave them a cent. I don't mind paying customs taxes or any taxes as a matter of fact, I do mind paying them to a private company

• 3 weeks later...