Carp Anglers Group Forums
zippyFX

A change in plans works out.

I intended to gear up and fish the Rideau for Pike and Musky but I found the water to high and to fast to think it would be productive so I decided to change my target to Carp.

All fish were caught on a #6 circle hook. I have been using two general approaches (i) a light split shot and a relatively freeline and (ii) a float rigged so the bait lies on the bottom. I pre-bait with both corn and a homemade ground mix and fish with a worm.

I went two for five. The first own was lost as I was getting used to the area. The bank had grown weedy and the weed mat was thick and my net was not long enough to reach the fish. I had some first fish nerves and instead of just taking a deep breath and playing it I tried to horse it and in doing so, pulled the hook. I cursed and hoped I would have a chance at another fish.

The second fish hit was small, I recon about 15 inches:

p1Y9Z85.jpg?1

A nice surprise a little bit later was this small Silver Redhorse:

CiyQNef.jpg

uvqIeod.jpg

I had been getting many small light takes which failed to hook. I think there may be more of these small ones. I may try a small hook and smaller piece of worm.

The third fish felt big but the hook got pulled after about 30 seconds of reeling.

Fish number 4 was a nice fight. Nice firrm runs with lots of drag being taken. It felt nice and strong. The line got run through a low hanging branch when the fish broke for cover. At the time I was using my shorter rod (6'6" instead of 9' rod) and I did not have enough reach to get the line of the branch. As I tried to reel in the fish and it was pulled up vertically out of the water, suspended from the branch. It did not look any bigger than the one above. I gave it slack to see if it would free itself but it did not. Instead of prolonging the stress on the fish I gave a few sharp tugs, something would give: the hook, the line or the branch. It was the hook, the fish dropped and swam away.

Fish number 5 was a nice bonus. As I was packing up to go, I though I would cast at some shady spots at the other side of the river. As I got the car loaded I turned to see my bobber going down and as I did the 50 yard dash to my rod (which was secured thankfully) and starting to bend with the weight of the fish. I picked up the rod and reeled in this guy:

0BI9Nt3.jpg?1

I caught about half dozen brown bullhead to boot....

Looks like you had a fun time. A nice mixed bag of fish. Those silver redhorse are pretty. I've caught some small ones and I thought they were pretty enough to keep in an aquarium. Thanks for your report.

Life dealt you lemons and you made lemonade! Good on ya, Zippy to change plans and change your target species. You were rewarded in the end, eh. Thanks for your report!

Haven't had a day with more then one fish in a while good way to end the day with a change of plans

smaller suckers are great musky bait, too! :Banana:

Thanks guys!

SoCal... I have been there... I'm sure your luck will change!