Carp Anglers Group Forums
(GA) needmotime2fish

How do you prepare chick-peas (Garbanzo beans)?

I'm curious. I've read several posts about using chick peas (aka Garbanzo beans), either for ground bait or as a hook bait, but in my 50+ years of carping, I've never tried them. Are people talking about the canned product, or are they referring to the dried peas?

If we're talking about dried Garbanzos, how should they be prepared? Do you prepare them differently when using them for ground bait than if you intend to use them as a hook bait?

Is it necessary -- or even helpful -- to add flavors, and if so, what flavors work best? I suspect that answer would vary quite a bit from lake to lake and river to river, but it never hurts to ask.

Can the prepared chick peas be stored between sessions? If so, should they be refrigerated?

Thanks!

Chick peas are a fantastic bait. They are instant, stand up better to other species than corn and also take on flavors and colors very well. I have caught literally 100's of carp on chick peas from 1lb to over 40lb. Simply put, carp like them.

You can use them straight out of the can but they will be soft and not easy to hook or hair rig. Personally I would use the dried versions. Simply cover them in cold water for 12-24 hours. Make sure your container is big enough as they will easily double in size when rehydrated. Boil for 20-30 minutes and then allow to cool.

If you want to add flavors, do it once they are cooled. I like to spice up my chick peas. I add rock salt, tumeric, curry powder and some regular sunflower oil. If the water is colder I will not bother with the oil.

You can store them in the freezer and I will re-use them for a couple of sessions. I usually hair rig a couple and add a piece of fake corn, but I've caught plenty of carp with two chick peas mounted directly on the hook.

Good luck,

Chick peas are a fantastic bait. They are instant, stand up better to other species than corn and also take on flavors and colors very well. I have caught literally 100's of carp on chick peas from 1lb to over 40lb. Simply put, carp like them.

You can use them straight out of the can but they will be soft and not easy to hook or hair rig. Personally I would use the dried versions. Simply cover them in cold water for 12-24 hours. Make sure your container is big enough as they will easily double in size when rehydrated. Boil for 20-30 minutes and then allow to cool.

If you want to add flavors, do it once they are cooled. I like to spice up my chick peas. I add rock salt, tumeric, curry powder and some regular sunflower oil. If the water is colder I will not bother with the oil.

You can store them in the freezer and I will re-use them for a couple of sessions. I usually hair rig a couple and add a piece of fake corn, but I've caught plenty of carp with two chick peas mounted directly on the hook.

Good luck,

Great answer. Exactly what I wanted to know.

Thanks!

What brooksey said plus, if you don't use them for carp, they are great in soups and salads. :bigsmile: Got try them myself.

Pour boiling water over the dried chicks and left to soak over night are perfect texture wise especially for the hook baits ! I used to use Brookesys method but on occasion I've over cooked them and they became slightly mushy (cooking's not my strong point lol )

Atb Val

I boil them for 15 mins. straight out of the bag. No soaking here. Also, they do take color well as was mentioned. After boiling stir in one packet of red Kool-Aid. Let sit over night while water cools. Chick peas turn bright red and hold color for days. keep in fridge for two weeks or so. Great bait.

On 9/21/2014 at 7:57 PM, Todd Richer_7193 said:

I boil them for 15 mins. straight out of the bag. No soaking here. Also, they do take color well as was mentioned. After boiling stir in one packet of red Kool-Aid. Let sit over night while water cools. Chick peas turn bright red and hold color for days. keep in fridge for two weeks or so. Great bait.

I know this is an old post but i started fishing carp for real this summer. I read this post last week and prepared a batch of these beans (much to the delight and derision of certain members of my family. There were a few humus jokes etc) . I didn't have koolaid, so I subbed in strawberry jello. Also, tossed in a beef cube some salt and away i went. Went out this morning and my usual combo of banana cream boilies with an oatmeal corn pack bait just wasn't cutting it. After about 3 hours of not much of anything, I texted my son that, f*&k it, I was going all in on the garbanzo beans. I made a pack bait of oatmeal and about 8 or 9 beans plus some of the liquid the beans soaked in, put 3 on a hair rig and away I went. After about 40 minutes, I pulled in about a 15 lber. Beautiful fish, fought like snot for about 20 minutes, just made my day. About an hour later, I got my second. I hike in to my spot so one of the sacrifices I make is the landing net. It's either the chair or the net and the chair wins every time. This one fought for about 40 minutes, with about 10 of that me trying to tire it out so I could land it. Alas, it was not to be. I got a great look at it and it was a beast. I figure 36-38 inches and close to, if not over, 20 lbs.

So, thanks for the tip! I heartily recommend this simple method of preparing these beans.