Carp Anglers Group Forums
Brian Pearcy

Great Weather Day, Good Carping Day

Luckily I had the day off of work because the weather was very unseasonably warm today here in Southeast Michigan. After several days of cooler weather last week and falling water temperatures, temperatures in the upper 70's were bound to lead to some interesting chances to catch some carp. The carp did not disappoint.

The action started early with a few average sized fish. About 9:30 a.m. I hooked into a solid fish on my left rod and the fish crossed over the middle and right rods before doubling back to under the middle rod approaching the net. Everything was going very well to that point. The fish was tiring and Linda had the net in perfect position. To that point I hadn't really seen the fish yet, so boy was I surprised to see it approaching the net. It was the biggest fish I have hooked all year! Come on new PB!

I loosened the drag a little because the fish was spooked by the net. He struggled right and then back left into the netting zone. The fish hovered over the net, but was so big the tail wasn't quite in...and then it happened...yep, the dreaded hook pull. But at that point the fish was obviously tiring because Linda said, "don't worry, I can still get him." The fish didn't realize it was no longer hooked because it continued to hover in the water for several seconds. Linda pull up on the net, but the tail wasn't quite in yet. Somehow the fish eluded capture and we both were super, super bummed. I am pretty sure the fish was a 30+ pounder. The head on my Ranger net is 34" and the fish was bigger than that by several inches. So for the next couple of hours we relived the moment and discussed how to do it better next time, hopeful to get another chance at a quality fish. the next chance eventually came around 2:30 p.m., but the fish was a several inches shorter and a few pounds lighter.

I ended up with 11 total fish, but could have had at least 2 more if I was more comfortable fishing with monofilament. I had a break off and a hook pull on monofilament. But to be fair, I had a hook pull on braid as we were packing to leave on a pretty big fish who managed to find some "salad" nearby and I got a little too anxious and pulled the hook.

Here are some pictures from today's session:

post-8372-0-57578100-1414453819_thumb.jp

post-8372-0-44374000-1414453848_thumb.jp

post-8372-0-90478500-1414453873_thumb.jp

post-8372-0-75289400-1414453891_thumb.jp

post-8372-0-86671700-1414453903_thumb.jp

post-8372-0-98422000-1414453912_thumb.jp

post-8372-0-46833400-1414453922_thumb.jp

post-8372-0-90913600-1414453932_thumb.jp

post-8372-0-01782500-1414453952_thumb.jp

post-8372-0-14563700-1414453975_thumb.jp

At 26 pounds and 6 ounces, this fish bested my prior personal best of 24 pounds 11 ounces caught the same exact spot back in late April. I am sorry I did not pose the fish well to display it's true size, but to be sure of the weight I checked it twice to be sure before returning the fish to the water.

post-8372-0-89835800-1414453985_thumb.jp

Thanks Bob. I've had some good opportunities lately to get out and fish. Luckily the weather has cooperated.

Very nice Brian, congrats on the new PB well deserved! I was thinking about getting down there before work saturday but its supposed to be in the 20's in the morning and 30's for a high I'm not so sure lol!

Thanks Austin. The weather forecast doesn't look too good for the weekend.

Not at all but i will probably end up going any way just to squeeze in as much fishing as possible before we hit the winter.

Nice catches!

I guess you're deep into Obsessive Carp Disorder! lol...

Yes Brian I am. Yesterday might have been my last day of fishing for awhile. I have a hard time convincing my net person to venture out when it's in the 20's and 30's for temps.

brian; well then you'll have to fish when some of us other carpers are going,i may be able to get in 1 or 2 sessions in november,not sure of my work routine,plus i may just have to take a day..

brian; well then you'll have to fish when some of us other carpers are going,i may be able to get in 1 or 2 sessions in november,not sure of my work routine,plus i may just have to take a day..

p.s. thats some great fishing,sorry you've lost some really big fish lately..

Bill, Sounds good. We're chalking the lost fish up to lack of experience. We'll get better at the netting with more practice. In Linda's defense when the water level is down like it was Monday it's a 3 feet drop down to the water. That makes it a lot tougher for her.

Brian, Thanks for the encouragement.

Great session! All good fish IMO. Yes, the ones that got away are sometimes the most memorable. One just has to make lemonade of the memory and that gives hope for a future capture.

That said and it being Halloween and all.

TRICK OR TREAT!

any ole idiot ( that's me ) with Photoshop can turn that 26.6 into a proper 40! Hope you get a few more sessions before winter moves in to stay. And if the picture is offensive rather than the intended stab at humor, please say so and It's gone.

post-3642-0-29265900-1414765979_thumb.jp