Carp Anglers Group Forums
  • Announcements

fishhead

After work session scores a couple fatties

Right behind my office is the only river in the Salt Lake valley and it holds some decent carp. Problem is the river is narrow, shallow and mostly featureless and structureless . It flows from Utah Lake - home of 95% biomass being carp - and then flows north into the Great Salt Lake. Behind my office I have a bridge under which is weed free along the banks so it makes for a natural fishing spot.

Today I cast using the method system loaded with birdseed, bread crumb and self made boilie hookbaits. My little e-glass blank kayak rod with an Abu Black Max on top was the combo of choice. This rod is spiral wrapped and fishes like a charm. At least I think so since I built it. I named it Carpalicious.

So within an hour the first take down with a few clicker buzzes of the open spool reel, then zzzzzzzzzzzzztt! And she's off. Took a couple minutes to land and due to the steepness of the riverbank I nearly slid in. Then lifting the fish from the net she flipped into the dirt. Quick wipe for pics and back she goes. 14 # on the scale. I'm happy and ready for more. Next takedown in only thiry minutes. Woohoo! This one was very orange to the previous black and gold colors. A tubby 10 pounder.

Stayed another hour and a half but all was quiet. Saw way too many pesky muskrats in my swim and a few bubbling feeders on the margins. Packed up and headed home. With a grin!

qznnlc.jpg

5kr9yh.jpg

Edited by fishhead

nice, I may have to start keeping gear in the car for opportunistic sessions like that.

that is awesome to have that right behind work. nice fish

i know where i would be spending my lunch hours lol

that is awesome to have that right behind work. nice fish

i know where i would be spending my lunch hours lol

Come to think of it...I did spend my lunch hour there that day. Nothing caught though as I recall most of my bait 'fell' off the hook .... repeatedly. Wink, wink, nod, nod, he said knowingly.

Thanks for the replies.