Carp Anglers Group Forums
AJ RUBEO??

Please help I can't afford carp gear?

I need help getting started in carp fishing can some one help? I can't afford the gear to fish properly? Can you help?

Big Carp Tackle. Get 2 BFS rods , 12', 29$ a piece. Also, at BCT, get 2 NGT reel, I think they are 15$ a piece and they have line on the reels. Get 4 rod holders from cabella's at 1.50$/piece, some cheap hooks and a can of corn. That's the bottom budget for carp fishing IMHO. Some of us have 3-4k in gear, so I think that's the cheapest road for you

Great pack bait to start with that I always recommend is oats. It doesnt cost much and draws in a nice amount of fish.

Edited by accordbw

Corn doesn't work and chumming is against the law in Oregon.

Corn always work. You got to ask yourself if the bait is in front of the fish. Is the lake weedy ? Is the lake really deep ? You won't catch any carp if the bottom is at 60 feet. chumming is against the law in Oregon? Research PVA bags and PVA mesh

Believe it or not, but all my carp and buffs have been caught on flavored canned sweet corn. Exception was my first three with Willem who furnished Tutti Frutti popups two years ago. Haven't caught anything on them since.

Believe it or not, but all my carp and buffs have been caught on flavored canned sweet corn. Exception was my first three with Willem who furnished Tutti Frutti popups two years ago. Haven't caught anything on them since.

Corn always works. IMHO, if you can't catch carp in a lake with corn, you can't catch them with anything

It's not tackle you use but how you use it that hooks the fish. search for some underwater videos of carp feeding and see how they take the bait., so if it's slack line or bolt rig you use you will catch more fish if you know how carp feed.

What gear do you have now? Salmon rods and reels should be fine for carp. I've seen carp caught on mickey mouse poles... Strong line (12-15lb test), strong hooks, a couple 1-3 ounce sinkers (egg or no roll), and a decent net that is not made from the knotted nylon (fine mesh or rubberized) and you have all the gear you need. Ask of the specialized 12ft rods, pods and alarms are not needed to catch them. They are designed for long casting and long sessions that you'll be sleeping near your rods. No need to buy into the sport for thousands of dollars when you can use what you have and then adjust what you need by your style of fishing. The main thing you gotta do is get lines in the water, where the fish are, and with bait they want to eat! Feel free to pm me if you have any questions.

Nice post Zack...

ciprian muresan "A proper response would be to ask, what kind of gear that is... My salmon gear was more than carp safe. You just assume that it was knotted nets and large hooks, which is very untrue.

Edited by Dave Ash

Nice post Zack...

ciprian muresan "A proper response would be to ask, what kind of gear that is... My salmon gear was more than carp safe. You just assume that it was knotted nets and large hooks, which is very untrue.

Apologies. I am a little paranoic about using wrong gear in carp fishing, I should have asked you that first

Thank you. While I have all the euro gear I don't understand the "proper kit" that people think they have to have. That's one thing that I believe could turn someone off because they will think if they don't have alarms, pods. Long rods, etc... then they can't catch carp. I always stress to new comers to get a safe net and something for a mat or find some soft grass just for safe handling. :)

Thank you. While I have all the euro gear I don't understand the "proper kit" that people think they have to have. That's one thing that I believe could turn someone off because they will think if they don't have alarms, pods. Long rods, etc... then they can't catch carp. I always stress to new comers to get a safe net and something for a mat or find some soft grass just for safe handling. :)

I never said get a 600$ reel and a 600$ rod. I'm only talking about nets. And I wasn't trying to be mean or condescending on anybody, it's just that I see every day on the bank here in the US carp anglers that have all the proper gear except the right net. Most of them don't even have an unhooking net (they start at 9$ at BCT). And by the right net I don't mean you have to spend 300$ and import it from the UK just because it says "carp net" and it's trendy, as long as it doesn't hurt the carp, it's ok. People seem to have a really hard time understanding that everything about carp is different than pike, salmon or bass. Like it shows in the picture I posted earlier, it is so easy to damage a carp, it's scary

Carp fishing in the US is in its infancy. They have been looked upon as h a horrible species that needs to be taken out of the water and killed. That's the attitude of the general populace. Most of them gave been taught for generations that they serve no purpose and are not a sport fish. That's why there is poor fish care when compared to European standards. I myself have been letting people know about nets and mats since the early 90's and it's a long slow process. The exposure level is not high enough for a normal person to know how we "proper" carp anglers handle them. It starts with education and that's our responsibility to help them learn. I didn't want to imply you were being mean or condescending, just that Americans as a whole don't understand it on the level we do.