Carp Anglers Group Forums

As you can see from my signature that I lack a grassie to make the quartet complete. Do we have them in Tennessee? Preferred baits?

Shows "reported" for SE TN but nothing to confirm their presence. West TN is about six hours away so the grassie will have to wait. I'll contact someone from the TWRA fisheries division. Thanks for the link. Interesting.

You're welcome. The one confirmed source - Reelfoot Lake - is way west, but I bet dollars to donuts you'd find them in your area. Golf courses, community ponds in fancy neighborhoods, anywhere there is a pond or small lake with aquatic weed control issues will be a good possibility.

Here in Utah they are strictly illegal......yet I've caught dozens and through a search like above have located 6 venues with them. Only one pond has them stocked by Fish and Game with signs all around the pond stating if caught, they must be released. If someone asks, I was fishing for catfish and this grass carp was incidental.

I fish them from shore, on my kayak, by sight-fishing, and by "feeding the ducks".

Good luck next year.

Skeet

If you can make it to western KY, I will put you on them in the Ohio river. One spot I fish - its not unusual to get 10 to 20 in a day. They average about 12 - 14lbs but its typical to get a 20 in a session and sometimes all the way to the high 30s.

Sweetcorn or maize has worked for me in the past for grassies, in Texas, though, never fished Tennessee.

The only grass carp I saw while living in TN were in Marrowbone Lake toward the north end. They were really big however. The guy working the tackle shop says they have been caught to 80lbs...

That was why I fished there - but I never saw a common. I would love to see a picture of that fish!

As far as grass carp bait, here in SC I have been doing really well on any fruity bait. Strawberry-squid seems to take a lot of them for some reason.

Edited by Evan C.

My family might not see me this summer. As my friend Don Denney says, "So much water, So little time!"

Would love the see SWMBO get one!

I've only caught them in local parks here in GA, but a lot of subdivisions with lakes stock then for weed control.

I have my son-in-law's brother baiting the area off his back yard (lakefront) for me. I plan to catch a few this spring when the weather warms up a bit.

So far, EVERY grasser I've caught was on canned corn, but I know they can be caught on other baits.

On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2015 at 0:24 PM, Evan C. said:

That was why I fished there - but I never saw a common. I would love to see a picture of that fish!

As far as grass carp bait, here in SC I have been doing really well on any fruity bait. Strawberry-squid seems to take a lot of them for some reason.

Well.......what's strawberry squid?....

Strawberry-squid flavor. I my case this is chopped up squid and strawberry koolaid in a boilie.