Carp Anglers Group Forums
Ray Nickel

Mainline/Hooklength

With the weather improving I'm wanting to get prepared for heading out to downtown Joliet, or if the ice melts the retention ponds. At this time I am unable to afford getting crap reels or poles, But I have two Channel cat setups I have been using for the carp I mentioned in my introduction post. I am currently using !5lb. Berkely Big Game or 50lb. Power pro on the other. Those are the mainlines. For my leaders I wanted to go simple and supple, and I hear that Kryston Super Nova 25lb. may be a good call. I currently am using #8 swivels(Korda), And #8,#6 Korda Raptor Wide Gape Hooks,

I know that there is just a ton of Brands, Styles, Colors, Shapes and so on that I will probably learn about.

Since I am just starting out, Do you guys think that this tackle I have is OK to start with, or do you have anything you would alter or change for the hooks, lines hooklengths, hooks, and so on. I have a real problem with over thinking things, and just hoping I can start out little by little and kind of go from there,

Thanks all!

Ray

Mono or Flurocarbon can work just fine, too, and are much more budget-friendly.

I have lately used more combi rigs, a stiff section connecting to the swivel, and then a short section of braid to the hook to allow it to turn easier.

The coated braid hooklinks are nice in that you can do all this with out a knot or link in the middle, but I'm not sure they're worth the extra expense. IMHO.

I am still pretty new to carp fishing myself, but not knowing any different I just tied my hook lengths with regular 50 lb. PowerPro. I make them about 5 inches long. I had good success with 3 1/2" lengths in the spring, but based on my results from August to November I am convinced that 5" hook lengths are better for me / my style of fishing as an all season length.

If the water is silty, I like to make my hook link longer than usual. I will also fish a pva mesh bag which keeps the bait from going in the silt. I then switch over to a lighter lead.

If I am fishing really short hook links, like 3-4 inches, which I will be experimenting this spring, I will mold the lead and hookbait in one ball of pack. similar to putting everything in a pva bag. This forms a nice presentation and will just lay on top of weed and silt. I only use this method if im fishing puffs or pop ups. Not bottom baits. I got some good ideas brewing so next year will be the true test.

Hey Brian, for still being kinda knew, that is one beautiful 26lber you got goin on there. Nice job man!

I think I messed up my Carp Fishing terminology. I'm going to have to study upon some of these words. That's my fault for sure. I think when I said Hook(length) I meant to say Hook(Link). Meaning, Not what lengths are good, which by the way was very helpful also. But what Types of hooklinks(Braid, Soft Coated braid, Stiff coated, Mono, and etc...) you guys like to use the most and why?

Depends on the situation and rigs. I only use mono and coated hook braid. Not a fan of straight braid unless im using it with pva or an anti tangle sleeve. I like stiff hook links.

12 lb Berkley Big game in the dark green and any 15lb braid for my hooklink that's not coated. (hate it)

Hey Brian, for still being kinda knew, that is one beautiful 26lber you got goin on there. Nice job man!

I think I messed up my Carp Fishing terminology. I'm going to have to study upon some of these words. That's my fault for sure. I think when I said Hook(length) I meant to say Hook(Link). Meaning, Not what lengths are good, which by the way was very helpful also. But what Types of hooklinks(Braid, Soft Coated braid, Stiff coated, Mono, and etc...) you guys like to use the most and why?

Hi Ray,

I go 4-5inch with 50lb power pro most of time and hey our new kinda new Brian had a 100+ fish last year :D hehe... wonder what should i consider my self ...

Braid has great suppleness, which can aid in hooking, but that suppleness can also result in tangled rigs. That's why many like the coated or stiff hooklink, to keep it from getting tangled.

But, as Sr Sorano says, it's great for putting in a PVA bag or using a PVA stick on it to keep from tangling.

Thankyou everyone for sharing what's been working for you, and also for any suggestions and help you have provided. The CAG is a very supportive group, and I experienced that right from the Get-Go when I started several months back. Have a great January guys and everyone take care!

Ray