Carp Anglers Group Forums
Ray Nickel

Beginner Bait?

I suppose I have been reading way too many articles and research on baits. I'm getting lost reading about all these different concoctions, recipes, pva bags or methods, stiff braids to soft braids, to different hooklinks and lengths, and what colors and flavors are better than the others.

Anybody ever get lost in all of this? I'm starting to spend a bunch of money on I don't know what. I just know I caught some decent carp on a can of sweet corn, and some on nightcrawlers. I think I'm going to stick with that for a little while.

I'm not upset at all, just a little frustrated with all the information out there.

Have a good weekend all.

Ray

A basic hair rig & some patience & if there are carp where you are fishing, you will have success.

I don't subscribe to all the exotic flavors & baits & on Oct. 4 th of last year I landed a total of 22 fish that had a total weight of 436 lbs!

Good luck & my advice would be to keep it basic & simple.

I caught more than 140 fish last year with maize on a hair rig; and a mix of panko and cream corn molded around an inline rig. It's basic and cost effective. I bought a bunch of boilies when I first started, but many of those have gone to waste. I tried them, but when they didn't catch fish I found myself gravitating back to maize. For me, catch rates are 3 to 4 times greater with maize vs. boilies.

Guest RebelCarp

Start out with maize.

Then add fake corn to your hookbaits. Whether its a confident color to top your maize or just strictly all fake corn.

After that you can try artifical popups. There is no scent and color is the most important factor to it.

Now after you done well with fake popups its time to either add simple flavoring to maize, artificials or use flavored popups. White, yellow, pink and orange are great.

Now after you tried everything and had good results you can try regular boilies. Start off with snowman rigs or using a single piece of fake corn to top a regular boilie.

Edited by RebelCarp

I think for the most part its better to stick to natural baits- all round fav has got to be tiger nut with a bit of fake corn to make it critically balanced.

Ray,

The best tool in your arsenal right now is that you have figured out how easy it is to lose your way in the rig and bait maze. Stick with what you know works.

...W

Boilies need to be introduced into the water. But, I also found that the boilies I get from nash, mainline, or richworth catch more fish than the boilies made in America. Concept for you, when I was getting them with Ed Wagner, caught instantly on any water. At the kissena fish ins the concept 4 u would rip.

Also at times, when boilies are used properly, they do tend to catch the bigger fish. Pop up boilies like 10 to 15 mm, fake pop up maize , with the right presentation can be deadly.

But I would stick with maize for now. Still catch big fish as well and are more instant. Make a good panko oats or grits packbait and your good to go. No need for the other stuff now. One thing at a time.

I have had good success with the orange and yellow fake floating corn used on the tip of my hair rig. I used two $7 cans of pineapple maize for most of the season. I only had to get into a third can of maize in the fall because I started catching so many fish I used up the other. I store the fake corn in the flavored maize cans. Just keep the maize in the shade or a cooler and back in the refrigerator when you get back home. Mine keeps for 7 or 8 weeks this way easily.

All my fish have been caught on canned corn with flavoring- vanilla, almond and going to try rum flavoring. I have fished popups and boilies but blanked every time with them.

Thankyou guys for all of your support and advice. That definitely makes things alot more simple and manageable. I'm certainly going to heed that advice and have some fun.

I have had good success with the orange and yellow fake floating corn used on the tip of my hair rig. I used two $7 cans of pineapple maize for most of the season. I only had to get into a third can of maize in the fall because I started catching so many fish I used up the other. I store the fake corn in the flavored maize cans. Just keep the maize in the shade or a cooler and back in the refrigerator when you get back home. Mine keeps for 7 or 8 weeks this way easily.

I fish my fake pop up maize similar to a pay lake rig setup. I fish it alone with no real food with it The packbait is molded around the lead AND fake corn. My hook link is small. so when the pack breaks down, you have that tiny piece of fake maize popping ever so slightly on top of the pack. just like a puff with packbait

I always like to keep it as simple as possible...many don't. I actually think that color is more important than flavor but again, many would disagree. It's probably better to spend time and perfect a couple of baits that you can always rely on....one for warm and one for the cooler months...and then tweak them to suit until you build a confidence in what you are using. Thats what has always worked for me anyway...good luck!

So far this winter I have trying a bunch of different things: Packbait, Worms, Flavored corn pips, But the only thing that has been consistently producing is the cheap sweet corns from walmart. Mixed with a little Korda Goo.

Hi!

been fishing for carp for an age...never used "exotics". Personal bests have come on humble baits such as corn, maggot, worm and bread. the most advanced bait I use is Spam!

Oh and I am talking about sizeable fish well into the 30's.

I am Atlanta based and will admit that here, my PB is a meagre 22lb caught naturally on corn....for reasons that are not clear to me, fish over 30lb are VERY rare down here.

Some tips for you...I find that softer corn on the hook can bring about the better fish, so I freeze and rapidly thaw some, or I let it go rotten, which happens quickly here in the summer.

Tony

3 pieces of sweet corn with a plastic popup piece on the bottom of the hair. Dip that in some caramel ice cream topping and pack a ball of pack around it. Than dip the ball in a jar of caramel. Hold on.

Fruity soybean pack

7 cups soybean meal

1 1/2 cups flour

1 5oz box cherry jello

1 1/2 cups fruity pebbles (do not crush)

1 can cream corn

1 small jar of cherry preserves

(optional) 1 can of sweet corn without the juice

Always mix all dry ingredients first except for Pebbles

Dump in all wet ingredients and mis well

Then add the fruity pebbles softly without crushing them

Add sweet corn kernals softly also trying not to crush them

18 ozs instant grits

9oz quick grits or a 1/3 of those little canisters

1 can cream corn

no flavor....just dip it in the caramel

Your welcome.

Its best when starting out to use simple baits. Both recipes given can be bought at any grocery,(except for soybean meal which can be bought at any feed store for around $15 for a 50lb bag) require no cooking or soaking and have caught me 1000s of fish. From flippers to my P.B.

Another thing you can try is just smash a piece of bread around your lead and dip your hookbait (1 popup corn and 3-4 kernals sweet corn) in any of these....

Butter Nut Vanilla (Superior brand)

Caramel ice cream topping

mustard

bbq sauce

any kind of paste from an Asian grocery

duck poop

Mt dew

Tobacco juice etc etc etc....

What works for me is probably as simple as it gets and what I started on. Number 6 bait holder gamakatsu hook (hooks being super sharp is very important) on a 4 inch leader to a pinned 1-2 ounce sinker (bolt rig) with the hook being loaded with sweet corn so you can only see the hook point. Since I'm on a tight budget, I use these on light gear bought from Walmart, so I laid the pole down and kept the bail open and waited for a run. And if you don't have an alarm like me and want to walk away, I use a itty bitty float that has a peg in the middle. I attach it somewhere on my line and check to see if it's moved any. They pop off easy once they hit the eye.

Never thought to use one of those bobbers with the stick/peg in the middle fishing for Carp.I use them sometimes when ice fishing but never on open water yet.

Anyways, as the last guy said keep it simple.If you do use night crawlers,the whole or sometimes using only half the worm works.

Also,I've done this thing I like to call the helicopter. I will sometimes break the crawler in half and place both on the hook.This way you have two things moving around vs just one whole crawler.A lot of times it's a process till you find what they want for that day and place.Just something I do when the carp are being different that day lol

To clarify, I use the float right against my rod tip or next to the bail, it doesn't go in the water. The ones I use are so small, a split shot will actually sink them. I don't jam the peg in very hard, just enough to hold and to pop off when I'm fighting a fish.

In my 55 years of carp fishing, I've caught more on corn -- whole kernel canned, and also 'maize', aka 'deer corn' -- than any other hook bait. On the other hand, I caught nearly all of my biggest carp (45+ years ago) on home made dough balls.

I have caught some 20-pound-plus carp on corn, but in my experience, corn has been a bait that will catch "numbers" of carp, and an occasional larger fish -- whereas dough-based baits (dough balls, boilies, etc.) seem to attract larger fish, but fewer numbers.

In just the last 2 or 3 years, I've used corn puffs quite often, and have had good success using them to catch numbers of carp, similar to when I use corn. Like "skeet3t" said earlier, I'll often flavor my corn by soaking it in vanila or anise. I'll fish with vanilla on one rod, anise on another, and plain corn on a 3rd rod, until I determine which bait the fish prefer that day. Other days I'll try puffs on one rod and plain corn on another. If I catch some decent sized carp early on, I might also try boilies on one rod to see if I can catch some bigger ones.

Basically, my strategy is to use corn and/or puffs as a "search bait", and if I find some cooperative fish, to then use boilies to try for some bigger ones.

Thanks for all the awesome sharing everyone!!!

I'm hopefully going to be able to get out and try some of these tactics this week with the warmer 30's weather still sticking around.

Peace out, and have a great week all!

Ray