Carp Anglers Group Forums
Brian Pearcy

Power Pro Microfilament Braid

Anybody used this microfilament in 50 lb.? How does it compare to the normal Power Pro Spectra braid?

Many have suggested Big Game and I tried it but after breaking off two of the biggest fish I've ever hooked while netting this past fall I can't risk using it any more.

I'm surprised you've had that experience with big game? What test where you using? Where they break offs or hook pulls? I used the micro filament 8lb test power pro on reels loaned to me on a guided perch trip on Lake Erie, was great in helping me feel light bites out of deep water but that doesn't help much in a carp application but my guide swore by it.

I use 65 lb test power pro 99 percent of the time on all my reels and have no problems with it but it has no stretch but if you know how to use the drag you will have no problems but that's my preference I'm sure others will have there own opinion.

The biggest disappointment I have had in fishing so far was when the Big Game snapped while trying to land the biggest carp I hooked all year long. I could see the fish. It was definitely my new personal best. The line didn't fail at the knot and the failure wasn't caused by an abrasion. It was 15#. Maybe 20# Big Game would have been more appropriate for big Michigan carp, but I didn't have 20# available locally. I didn't have a net person, so there was a lot of stress being placed on the line. At any rate, I lost confidence in it compared to the 50# Power Pro I normally use.

I've used the Power Pro Slick, but haven't tried the microfilament yet. I thought I might give it a try because I found it at a very reasonable price today.

I wondered if anyone else has experience with the microfilament.

Brian,

There must have been something wrong with the line as unless you are pulling in a straight line it's almost impossible to break 15b Big Game line. It may be a bad batch. If you test it yourself with a rod and line tied to a set of scales there's no way you will pull the scales round to 15lb of pressure! Maybe tie a section to a immovable object and the other end to the scales and walk back until it breaks to see exactly how much pressure is needed. Most likely the line has touched something or is weakened due to another reason.

I have caught numerous 30 and 40lb river carp that fight ridiculously hard and have never had a line breakage. You may also want to check the setting on your reel drag so that the fish can pull off line when it makes a sudden run. Braid is a much more unforgiving material especially at close range. I generally use braid when I am fishing at range to increase indication, aid casting and also reduce line twist but all things being equal I prefer mono.

At the end of the day use what you are confident in, but I'm sure many, many other anglers will attest to the qualities of big game.

I have always heard good things about Big Game and that is why I tried to use it this fall on one of my rods. I caught fish on it, but the batch I have snapped clean twice while trying to land fish this fall. I have about 2,000 yards of it so it's a shame.

2000 yds sends off a warning alarm for me, bulk spools tend to sit on the shelf for longer that a standard spool, mono starts to degrade after awhile especially if it was stored improperly. The first warning sign of decayed and weakened mono is dust or grit that gathers on your fingers when you spool a reel. Good mono should leave no debris. Big game has a high breaking point and a ridiculous amount of stretch which makes it extremely forgiving under the rod tip. I buy my big game from Walmart 15lb test in a small 900 yd spool, the Wally World by my house has a larger than average sporting goods section and the stock on the shelves is rotated out regularly so I have no worries I'm buying vintage line. I've tried power pro and at least half a dozen different monos in my relatively short carp fishing history and always find myself going back to big game.

I have 1,200 and 900 yd. spools. It's the only length they were selling when I purchased it.

40lb Powerpro with and 80lb Powerpro shockleader. Works great for me.

I will go against the grain here. I HATE power pro. I think it is garbage. I had two bad batches and that was enough for me. Ruined my one trip with break off after break off. I had the line break during a freakin run! This came directly from the factory as well. They sent me a brand new one and the same thing over and over. I threw it away. There was nothing wrong with my equipment and it was all the line. I switched to suffix and that is one awesome braid. I no longer use braid and have gone back to mono. Mono is so much better in the rocks than braid ever could be. I would have lost a ton of fish in the rocks this year if I was still using braid.

Power Pro is like the little girl in the poem, when it is good it is very very good but when it is bad it is horrid...

Very true Mark. When I used it for bass fishing I really liked it. After my bad experience I found it hard to even want to look at it.

Brian, did you contact the manufacturer about the problem with their line? If there is a problem, I'm sure that they would like to know so it can be corrected.

Very true Mark. When I used it for bass fishing I really liked it. After my bad experience I found it hard to even want to look at it.

I had some similar experiences to yours....I even had a break off on a run..before I touched the rods...on a Paylake!..and I'd stripped ten yards or so off the spool before I set up because I'd had an issue previously...before that I had total faith in it. I think there was a bad batch out there...when I'm using braid I use Tuff line now which is probably the same stuff with a different brand name...it certainly looks the same, regardless it performs like the original PP...haven't tried the new Power Pro...

Brian, did you contact the manufacturer about the problem with their line? If there is a problem, I'm sure that they would like to know so it can be corrected.

I bought it direct from them, Contacted them and they sent me a new spool only to have the same issue. After that spool they did not acknowledge me.

I am interested in the new microfilament PP but haven't found any reviews on it yet for carp fishing.

I have used Berkley Big Game in numerous lb. tests and colors over the years for my catfishing. Catfish are found in and around cover, and Flatheads are specifically found in the nastiest of covers, and are Beastly fighting fish. I am very confident of it, and it has treated me really well. I started using it, because a lot of of the Professional Flathead and channel catfish guides use it specifically with great success. The ONLY time I have ever had a break was completely my fault. I was using a really light 6'6" medium Bass rod, with 15lb. BBG, I had hooked into a 20lb. flathead, once he found out he was hooked and saw me, he made that initial beastly bolt. I was inexperienced, and had my drag completely locked down. I had no chance whatsoever getting that fish in like that. He would have broke any 15lb. mono 10 out of 10 times with a locked down drag. But that was it. Since then, I have had nothing but good things to say.

A really good tell tale of this line, is if you go to Basspro.com and check out the reviews on this line. You will not find another monofilament line with as high as ratings and with as many ratings as the BBG. The reviews of this line here in the US, are not like the reviews you will find on most European tackle sites. Most of all those reviews only talk about how well the seller was in shipping them their product, or it simply says one word descriptions like: good, excellent, poor.

On bass pro you get very thorough descriptions of what each fisherman has experienced with the line.

This line has "171" reviews with a combined rating of 4.5 stars out of 5. There isn't a higher rated line with anywhere near that may reviews. You can get a good Gist of the quality of this line by simply reading a 1/4 of the reviews. Also take in mind some of the negative reviews can be a cause of fisherman failure. There are a lot of Tuna, Grouper, and Bill fisherman that swear by this line in saltwater. And those fish are some of the hardest fighters around.

Here is the link:

http://www.basspro.com/Berkley-Trilene-Big-Game-Line-1/4lb-Spools/product/15127/

All that being said, it is still is better to fish whatever you have confidence in, but BBG does deserve a second chance IMO.

Thanks all, and take care!

Ray

We use it on my wife's "test" rod. Sometimes she ends up catching bigger fish than I do because she always wants to go against the grain. She uses the stuff I typically don't like and catches fish; sometimes more fish than I do. She started the trend with pink pop up dumb bells that have worked pretty well when I don't use maize.

God blessed us with Women for a lot of reasons! :)

I used the PP when I first started carp fishing and had nothing but trouble, if it wasn't breaking off on fish, I would have problems with wind knots while casting. I got rid of that crap ASAP!! went to using suffix 832 braid and haven't had any trouble since, it might cost a little more but it's worth it JMO. If I use any kind of mono it's Nash NXT D-CAM mono that you can get from BCT, that stuff doesn't break for nothing!! I've pulled limbs out of the swim with this, not small ones either, some were 6 inches in diameter and 4 ft long!!

The only issue I've had and have with Big Game is it's memory. No issue with breakoffs.

No issues at all with Powerpro.

I had 15 lb fish breaking my 50lb power pro line. pure garbage, not to mention the wind knots even if I always soak my spool into water before casting . never again ! The main reason power pro breaks is its rigidity, you make a small mistake and bam, mono is more "forgiving". Second reason is quality, a lot of people complain that 50% of the time, power pro comes with manufacturing defects. Third reason is that it has zero abrasion resistance. I use 12 lb Korda Subline or Korda Touchdown as a main line and 45 lb Kryston Quicksilver -Ultra High Abrasion Shock Leader . Never fails. I am too poor to afford to be cheap

As a long time user of both braid and mono I'll share my experiences.

A lot of the issues with braid come down to (a) overfilling the spool and/or (B) not wetting it thoroughly before use both of which invariably lead to wind knots and fraps.

Some braids have a 'wax' coating that wears off quite quickly and seems to create more issues than some.

I've used Power Pro, Sufix and more recently TUF Line. The latter seems reasonably priced and as good if not better than PP. I use in 30lb for long distance and where weed issues abound (it cuts through it nicely).

If I'm fishing anywhere around sharp rocks or especially zebras with less than 80lb braid then it essential to add 25-50' of 25-40lb flouro or 80lb braid leader.

As for mono I'm a long time proponent of Sufix Siege in 14lb but have recently moved over to 12lb at it seems to handle & cast that bit better with a neater line lay. If it I'm throwing heavier leads or method balls any distance then I'll add sufficient 20lb shock leader material to give 5-6 wraps around the spool.