Carp Anglers Group Forums
Brian Pearcy

Power Pro Microfilament Braid

Great vid Iain! I've tried it a different way (from a different vid) of holding the fluro and wrapping the braid, and it is more difficult to tie.

Cip, I've used the Albright and Improved Albright (Alberto) knots, and the FG knot really is stronger and smaller!

Also, I do believe braid stresses rod and reel more, but I like the sensitivity of it.

Also, I do believe braid stresses rod and reel more, but I like the sensitivity of it.

There's a wonderful mono solution for that called Korda Touchdown. It's just as sensitive as the braid

I had 15 lb fish breaking my 50lb power pro line. pure garbage, not to mention the wind knots even if I always soak my spool into water before casting . never again ! The main reason power pro breaks is its rigidity, you make a small mistake and bam, mono is more "forgiving". Second reason is quality, a lot of people complain that 50% of the time, power pro comes with manufacturing defects. Third reason is that it has zero abrasion resistance. I use 12 lb Korda Subline or Korda Touchdown as a main line and 45 lb Kryston Quicksilver -Ultra High Abrasion Shock Leader . Never fails. I am too poor to afford to be cheap

Dude, your quote,

"I am too poor to afford to be cheap."

is awesome!!!

I Wholeheartedly agree.

Ray

Dude, your quote,

"I am too poor to afford to be cheap."

is awesome!!!

I Wholeheartedly agree.

Ray

It's a well known, common expression I roughly translated from Romanian. It's a ####ty excuse to buy top of the line gear LOL

Thanks for the tip on the TUF. I am going to order the TUF Line XP 1200 Yard in 50#. It's definitely more affordable than Power Pro or Suffix and has free shipping right now.

There's a wonderful mono solution for that called Korda Touchdown. It's just as sensitive as the braid

also P-Line CXX or Yozuri Hydrid. I've not used either but heard good things on the Bass forums.

I've never had any issues breaking off fish or 'wearing' out rods or reels with braid.

One of the key aspects playing big fish on braid (and I'm including handling tuna, tarpon etc which are much more powerful than carp) is to ensure the clutch is set up properly to give line without grabbing and to always lower the rod toward a fish when it goes off on a powerful run. This is contrary to what I see most folk doing - i.e. high sticking the rod. This will reduce friction on the guides and ensure a smoother pull without any sudden jerks. Control the tension / drag with a finger or palm on the spool as needed.

By stress on the rod, are you referring to the fact that braid doesn't stretch like mono? Please clarify.

FWIW, I have fished cheap mono for years and never had any problems. Only thing would be memory but that takes care of itself after a few casts and getting the line wet.

Anything that stretches will be less sensitive then non-stretch braid; can't change physics with marketing!

Nobody said braid wasn't sensitive. At the end of the day it's a matter of personal taste. If you like braid, fish with braid. There's pros and cons for everything. Truth is always in the middle

Cip, I was just responding to your statement: "There's a wonderful mono solution for that called Korda Touchdown. It's just as sensitive as the braid".

Cip, I was just responding to your statement: "There's a wonderful mono solution for that called Korda Touchdown. It's just as sensitive as the braid".

I know. I wasn't marketing :)

Has anyone ever tried Spiderwire? I use that on my bass rods (10 and 12 lb.). I have caught a number of carp on these rods and never had a break off.

I have 17# Spiderwire and 17# Stren and they are both the same diameter. Difference in the molecular formula?

I used 14# Stren when I started. I caught about 20 carp on that line before switching to braid and I started catching more fish.

Without even considering the stretch factor.....I tend to use braid for distance fishing as i can use a heavier strength and fit substantially more on my spool than mono of a comparable breaking strain.

I do use mono for margin work and float fishing.