Carp Anglers Group Forums
Ray Nickel

How to reel in 2 carp at the same time?

Hey everyone,

I was able to get out to Joliet, Il. on the Des Plaines river again this week, with the temps rising into the mid to upper 30's for at least 4 days straight now, and continuing throughout this coming week. I had two really good days, and on my second day, there were 3 times when I had two carp on at the same time on different poles.

I had to look like a goof ball out there trying to reel in two poles at the same time. In fact, I KNOW I looked like an oddity.

Two of the times, I lost one of the fish I was trying to reel in, On my last time of having 2 on, I did actually land both fish.

When you guys come across this situation when fishing with multiple rods, how do you try to effectively bring these fish in?

Is there some kind of known wisdom out there, or teaching of how to do this, like reel in one at a time somehow?

Any and all ideas and advice greatly welcomed.

Thanks again all!

Lol... it's always a circus when you have a double run!

What I often do (well, it really doesn't happen often, but when it does...) is check to see which one feels heavier, and put the other rod back in the pod in freespool while playing the heavier one. Once in the net, I check the second rod. Often they are either off or snagged.

Other times I've tried playing one while I hold the other rod between my legs (keep it clean, guys!) trying to keep pressure on both. I have at times reeled in one, then the other, until they're both close enough to net.

Again, it's always a circus!

When I'm getting lots of bites, I usually just fish the one rod that I'm getting the most runs on...of course this has only happened once for me!

Ive had t is happen to me lots of times at a certain spot sometimes 3 at a time. But 2 at a time was the norm(had a couple 50+fish days i say 50+ because i lost count)to where i only fished two rods after a while.

i put pressure on both reel one in the reel the other depending on which i feel like is going slack as i have both pole is the one ill reel but then switch if it happends to the other netting one leaving it in the net then netting the other while one is still in net. Ill have to video it one day. I look like a fool reeling 2 but i get it done.

Yes, I always feel like a circus clown when get the double run.If I am all alone, I just leave one rod in the holder and try to keep the slack out of the line the best I can. If there is anyone within earshot, I invite them over and let them reel it in. Put a smile on a couple peoples faces doing that!

It's a good problem to have. I am always happy when it happens but it's not always pretty. Lucky for me I fish with someone else 90% of the time so that helps a lot. Sometimes it has happened and it's always a scramble.

Here's an entertaining video of a double that Bill had and both were landed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAfj3pCB_Wc

When I am by myself I net both fish in one net if I have to, but I now have two nets just for this reason. It happens in the fall of the year more often for me.

I dont care if I look like an idiot when I have a double run. Happens very often here on the hudson. Robm and I had a session like that couple of years ago. we had 2 to 3 fish at once sometimes during our session. Now that was insane. I told rob that day, if this was a tournament, we would have taken home the prize. It came to a point that we both had to stop fishing and took an hr break. we just lounged on our bed chairs and laughed.

Ray,

Obviously I wasn't there but I would bet that after the first two times and some one armed paper hanger antics, the third time your approach was a little calmer, less hurried and more methodical (although it may not have felt like it).

The fact that you succeeded in landing both fish on your third attempt shows you must have figured things out somewhat even if you felt you just got lucky.

As for "known wisdom", it often comes down to the circumstances. For instance, with clear open water and a full spool you can let them run which is not an option if snags are involved.

Sometimes it's a good problem to have, sometimes not so much.

...W

One rod in one hand, one rod between the knees. With free hand, reel one, then reel the other as both fish SLOWLY make their way to the shore and hope for the best. Netting is also an issue. I try to net one and slide the other ashore.

My most memorable double....a 31 and 33 lber. that set both alarms off at the exact same moment. Now, that was a circus!

Thanks all very much! What I ended up doing on the third one, was like what some of you said, I held one rod, and put the other between my knees, and simply went back and forth keeping constant pressure on both, and gradually reeling each one closer and closer to the net. Then netted one, then the other. Craziness I tell ya! If there is a more heavier one, I will just have to focus just on that one, till I get it in. If I lose the other then o well.

Thanks everyone once again for your advice and suggestions.

Ray

I've faced this a few times. Whilst it's practically impossible to play two carp to the net at once without an horrific tangle, what you can do is get both carp under control and tiring, then either pass one of the rods to a mate/bystander or place one back on the rest for a little while.

The key is to get a rod in either side of your groin, push your butt out (skiing stance) and place your arm across your chest like you were crossing your arms. This leaves your left hand free to turn each reel handle as and when required. It does mean that the line will go slack at some point unless they're in to synchronised swimming (!) but you can get them most of the way in before deciding which one to place on the rest and which to land. Once the first one is in the net, stand on the handle if you're fishing at water level and play the other one in, unhook them both and pose for double :yes:

It's going to be a mess for sure. With a pod, you can drop the butt of the rod on the fish you're not actively fighting to the ground, with the rod on the front rest, to get the tip up, then fight the other fish with the tip low. Obviously, keep the BR engaged on the second rod, and reel in as slack appears. This is one (of the few, IMO) advantages of a "quick spool" vs a true BR, as you can still take in line with the looser drag engaged.

Go for he bigger first unless one is much closer than the other; the advantage of getting one quickly out of the way is worth letting the larger one run a bit. Feel free to go back and forth, you don't have to arbitrarily land the first one you decide to fight, do whatever is most advantageous at that time.

Man!This has been one great thread. All of you have shared some spot on stuff. Thanks all for your sharing. This is a great help, and gives me a lot more options on how to handle these situations in the future.

"unless they're in to synchronised swimming"

That's some funny stuff Marcus!

Peace out!

Ray

Unfortunately, I haven't had to deal with that problem for a LONG TIME. I do remember a time many years ago, fishing in MD on the Potomac, when I had three carp on at the same time. Luckily, they hit in decreasing order of their size, and I was fortunate enough to land all three -- more luck than skill, though. In those days we had no "pods", or even rod holders. I just set the drags on the 2nd and 3rd fish light enough to protect my rods, and placed a good sized rock over the rods in front of the reels, and then I took my chances while I fought one fish at a time.

Another day long ago, fishing over chummed maize in a (now closed) pay lake in PA with my Dad, there were several times when we both had a carp on both rods -- four fish at the same time. We used a similar approach -- allowing our second carp to take line while we fought the first (two). We managed to land all four carp at least twice. :swimminfish::swimminfish::swimminfish::swimminfish:

The last time I had two fish on at one time, I was able to hand one rod to a passer-by and introduce him to the joy of carp fishing. :yes: