Carp Anglers Group Forums
Ray Nickel

Hook location in the carps mouth

I saw an article with korda where Danny Fairbrass specifically said he tries to make sure that he gets every hook hold DIRECTLY in the Middle of the bottom lip every time!!?? He specifically said that if the fish gets hooked SLIGHTLY to the left or right of the fishes bottom lip, that he has done something a bit wrong, and that he needs to make some sort of adjustment in order to make sure he gets the hook to hold directly in the center of the fishes bottom lip each time.

What? Is that even possible? I doesn't make any sense to me. There seems to be way too many uncontrollable factors from the fish's end, to how the fish decides to pick the bait up, to ever think you can get the hook to hook exactly in the middle of the bottom lip every time. And yet, that's what he was saying in the video. That just seems a little too far fetched for me. Or, I don't know, maybe some people are just THAT good.

I just bring it up, because of all the fish I caught over the past couple of days the hook holds were all over in different spots around the carps mouths. Some were in the top lip of the carp, some on the bottom lip of the carp, some in the left corner of the mouth, and yet others where in the right corner of the fishes mouth, and I landed them all.

Is there any reality or truth in getting "that good" that you can make this, even most of the time, happen?

Thanks all!

Ray

Don't believe anything you hear or read & only half of anything you see! Have fun, catch fish & take good care of the fish you catch.

You can actually get very close to nailing the bottom lip each time with well-behaving rigs. Not so sure about dead in the middle, but bottom lip, sure.

I believe they aim for that in the UK because it does less damage to the fish? Their fish are mostly farm raised, all catch and release, and worth thousands of pounds, so they do all they can to decrease possible damage to the fish.

You can actually get very close to nailing the bottom lip each time with well-behaving rigs. Not so sure about dead in the middle, but bottom lip, sure.

I believe they aim for that in the UK because it does less damage to the fish? Their fish are mostly farm raised, all catch and release, and worth thousands of pounds, so they do all they can to decrease possible damage to the fish.

Is there any specific ways I can fix my rig to accomplish this more often?

Something like this:

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=carp+rigs&id=24B1F99FCD466D6C1DAA31228F581291B5A47507&FORM=IQFRBA#view=detail&id=D2A0327371714053CC9CA10012A685500F2AC81F&selectedIndex=30

What really helps is the weight an inch or so below the hook.

FiSherwood,

When I got home today, I looked up this link, and ended up tying up this rig at home. I did the palm test, and this rig immediately flips and hooks into my hand. Whether it flips to the left or right, it flips right away and locks in.

I am certainly going to try this out on the water. This seems like a very, very good tip. I will be using both the Wacker Baits Curve Shank Hook, and the Korda Kaptor Kurv Shank hooks for this experiement.

Thanks man, and have a great rest of the week!

Ray