Carp Anglers Group Forums
Ray Nickel

Carp weight calculator?

I had to return my new scale, because it came in the mail broken. :( So I'm trying to calculate the weight of the carp I caught today with the length and girth measurements I recorded.

Do we have carp calculator here on the site somewhere, or a real accurate one online anywhere?

I have tried several online, and they are coming up with all kinds of crazy numbers. I used the same length and girth on several different sites for carp, and came up with, 2.5 lbs., 9.73lbs., and 5 lbs. All over the place numbers. Not cool.

Thanks all, and have a good day!

Ray

Calculators seem to err a lot, I don't trust any of them! It might be spot on this time way off the next time.

If you post a picture there are some of us that can give you a pretty close estimate to what you caught.

Take a picture and weigh the picture?

Lol! Funny stuff, skeet3t!

I can't see a weight/length calculator working real well with carp as their proportions vary greatly from fish to fish between head and tail, if you know what I mean.

I definitely agree with you Streeker02. I have measured the Girth on 3 of the same exact length carp and came out with 16, 17, and 18 inches. I don't know much at all about these measurements and carp, but the difference between 16 inches and 18 inches seems like a big difference for a same lengthed carp.

The "Osmond" technique is impressive, what you do is guess what you think the fish weighs (it doesn't really matter how accurate you are) and then (and this is the clincher) you ADD 15lbs to that weight....its a terrific technique for story telling, bragging rights etc etc...

I definitely agree with you Streeker02. I have measured the Girth on 3 of the same exact length carp and came out with 16, 17, and 18 inches. I don't know much at all about these measurements and carp, but the difference between 16 inches and 18 inches seems like a big difference for a same lengthed carp.

Not only can the girth vary quite a bit from one carp to another, but I've seen a few carp with a girth at the anal fin that was fully 2/3 as large as the girth at the pectoral fin -- while others were only about 1/3 as large. On a large carp of about 3 feet, that difference in the fish's shape or proportion might mean a difference of as much as 10 pounds or more.

All ya gotta do is use the forum search tool..............................

Check out this old thread for Nightwing's (Paul W.) carp weight formula, of which many think it's pretty accurate for a formula:

http://www.carpanglersgroup.com/forum/index.php?/topic/16252-calculating-carp-weights/page-2?hl=%20carp%20%20weight%20%20formula

Not only can the girth vary quite a bit from one carp to another, but I've seen a few carp with a girth at the anal fin that was fully 2/3 as large as the girth at the pectoral fin -- while others were only about 1/3 as large. On a large carp of about 3 feet, that difference in the fish's shape or proportion might mean a difference of as much as 10 pounds or more.

exactly what I was trying to say...you just said it better :)

The "Osmond" technique is impressive, what you do is guess what you think the fish weighs (it doesn't really matter how accurate you are) and then (and this is the clincher) you ADD 15lbs to that weight....its a terrific technique for story telling, bragging rights etc etc...

PMSL

Edited by Savayman