Carp Anglers Group Forums
zippyFX

Spring maize mix

Hi all,

In the dog days of winter I find my thoughts turning to spring carp at ice out... Sigh....

Last season I started preparing my own maize, plain mostly but I was thinking of being more creative this time around. I picked up a pressure cooker as boiling it on my bbq was proving to take way too long. I will be starting it on the stove and then continuing on the bbq this spring.

Are there any suggestions for flavourings while it boils? I was thinking of something salty like fermented soy bean paste. How about after it is done? I know there are commercial mixes available but I was thinking of something more home made. Is there a flavour better suited to spring? I once read that stong spices like tumeric and curry would be good.

I am also collecting stale bread for some pack/ground bait... I was thinking of doing something supper sweet like aspertame, jello and some protien like canned luncheon meat? Any thoughts?

I usually add cinnamon, and either chili powder or cayenne pepper, to my early season spod mix, and save the sweet or fruity stuff for warmer water.

Right or wrong, I've always believed that "spicy" or "hot" is good in cool/cold water, although my results haven't been consistent enough to prove it. Sometimes it works well, other times not as much.

As you noted, I often mix bread into my spod mix. I believe that can help spread the scent/flavor/attractants to a wider area.

I have had consistent luck with boiling my corn for 1 hour and for flavouring I throw in black licorice. Bulk licorice 'all sorts' from the bulk barn works great....about 2 cups per batch and it melts right down and gets into the corn. I agree spring time is spice time.... Cumin or any Indian Spice works well, I usually add to the spod at the bank, less chance of a disastrous spill in the car. Just walked along the Grand today.....bald eagle, fox and beaver were out and about..... Wont be long now gents......

... I agree spring time is spice time.... Cumin or any Indian Spice works well, I usually add to the spod at the bank, less chance of a disastrous spill in the car.

Yeah, I learned that the hard way. :bonk:

I "usually" keep the lids on my buckets and put down a plastic tarp when I'm transporting any of the really messy stuff.

Sorry about getting off topic, but last year I was introduced to a 5 gal. bucket cover that is really great. Its call the Gamma Seal. Its a two part system for sealing 5 gal buckets thats perfect for carp fishermen. There is a plastic ring that snaps onto a 5 gal bucket and then the threaded cover that screws down onto that. Its easy to screw on and off. Plus, it does not leak even when knocked over. Home Depot and Lowes carry them. Im sure many guys are familiar with them already, but if you are not, check them out. Great product. $15-20.

Yeah, I learned that the hard way. :bonk:

I "usually" keep the lids on my buckets and put down a plastic tarp when I'm transporting any of the really messy stuff.

I have had consistent luck with boiling my corn for 1 hour and for flavouring I throw in black licorice. Bulk licorice 'all sorts' from the bulk barn works great....about 2 cups per batch and it melts right down and gets into the corn. I agree spring time is spice time.... Cumin or any Indian Spice works well, I usually add to the spod at the bank, less chance of a disastrous spill in the car. Just walked along the Grand today.....bald eagle, fox and beaver were out and about..... Wont be long now gents......

I have heard of licorice as flavouring but I didn't know you could just chop in some licorice 'All Sorts' and have 'em melt down when boiling. My problem would be having enough for the carp because I would probably eat half the bag before I got home!

Can't wait for the Grand to open up. I think I'll want to cast into the first ice-free hole I see!

Never used it myself .. but I have read alot about black pepper oil being a outstanding cold water attractor/flavor .. A couple drops goes a long way. Good luck!

This is great guys! Thanks for all the suggestions and precautions :) Good food for thought.

Good news is that I will likely be making a number of batches so I may be able to try many of the ideas!

Question though.... Is there a general rule about adding flavoring during the boil or after the boil.

I have not used a pressure cooker much but when when cooking for people I tend to add the aromatic spices towards the end so the flavor towards the end to avoid them boiling off.... What should I do with Maize?

zippy,

Generally add flavors when you take it off the heat; the corn absorbs it when cooling...

We've experimented heavily on boiled and flavoured maize at all times of the year and hands down have found anise flavour the best for spring. If you can find the massively concentrated food grade stuff sold in small 50ml bottles that is the best and is sold by lots of different merchants. We add half of the bottle to a 5kg boil so as not to overpower it. Near the end of the boil when the maize has split and the water has either condensed or evaporated, poor the anise in to a litre jug of water, and water on to the corn before covering and leaving it to get soaked up for the rest of the day. The sugars and starch produced from the boil react with the anise making it super sticky and pungent. When you're left with the last few litres of water in the bottom of the bucket, add bread crumb or groundbait to the liquid to create a sloppy mix of loveliness that will spread through the water column when spodded/spombed or dropped from a boat.

We've experimented a lot as I mentioned and the only other flavours that come close are peanut butter extract, capsicum extract (a mega long range attractant and one of the 'secret' derivative ingredients behind Robin Red) and as hairwig said - garlic. I also used some of the bait emulsions K1 sell on the Trent Severn last year which did the business, yellow cherry scored highly. But do you know what? Don't look past a good old fashioned boil and soak!

One more thing......we caught 28 on a sunny day in April 2 years ago with maize and strawberry jello mix......potato starch added to make some bait bombs. It was warm that spring so this will most likely be a May baiting strategy.

... hands down have found anise flavour the best for spring. If you can find the massively concentrated food grade stuff sold in small 50ml bottles that is the best and is sold by lots of different merchants.

If you live near one of the more than 175 "Ollie's Bargain Outlet" stores in 15+ states (most or all are east of the Mississippi), you can often find bottles of anise flavoring for 99 cents.

BTW, Ollies also has other stuff you may find useful, such as large (roughly 8 or 12 oz) containers of ground cinnamon for $2.99. Also, they sometimes have close-outs on breakfast cereals that make good pickups or can be mashed up for packbait or for additions to ground bait / spod mix. For example, last year I bought 5 bags of spoon size shredded wheat -- they were close to the expiration date -- for 50 cents a bag. The shredded wheat can be mashed in your hand, wet with lake water, and molded around your sinker to make an effective packbait.

You may not always find something useful, but when you do, it's usually worth your time to stop. I never make a special trip to go there, but when I'm in the neighborhood, I usually drop in to check if there's anything on special that I can use for carping.

I bought a big bottle of vanilla at Ollie's. Wife wouldn't let me use her expensive imported vanilla extract. Ollie's is like Big Lot's times ten. Experiment and see what works. Carping is like bass fishing- you never know what they want from one minute to the next.