Carp Anglers Group Forums
Brian Pearcy

Are You Looking for Carp Rods?

If you are thinking about purchasing new carp rods, but don't want to break into your savings account to do it check out the prices Resistance Tackle has currently on their Willow, Hurricane and Lightening carp rods.

The Willow is on sale for $78.75

The Hurricane is on sale for $83.99

The Lightening is on sale for $65.99

I have owned 4 of the Hurricane 3.0 test curve since late spring 2014 and have fished them steadily. I really like them. I think the are a good value for the price.

I'm perhaps weird but my rods HAVE to have all cork handles. I scored a couple 9' rods from overseas but I overpaid due to shipping. Anyone have a line on carp rods with all cork handles here in the states?

I believe the St Croix avid carp rods are cork

Definitely pricey but they come up for sale used every now and then. Could catch a good deal. Also and reputable rod builder should be able to cork any rod you'd like.

Re-corking a rod can be time-consuming and cause severe nerve impulses in the posterior region. One way is to take off the guides to slide on the grip. Then you install the guides. The other way is to cut the cork rings in half and glue them on. Then you have to sand the grip to shape on the rod. Hard this way because you can't compress the rings to a solid grip. OK to replace a couple of rings but not a whole grip. Aos good quality cork is becoming expensive. A full length butt grip would cost over $40-50 just in the rings alone.

FWIW, St. Croix rods are excellent quality.

Yes but I need to take out a 2nd mortgage to buy St. Croix rods :blush: Those are a little too spendy.

nothing good comes cheap! worth the money IMO, light as a feather and very nice action. I have a pair of 9 1/2 footers and never really use any of my other rods :)

I used to sell restaurant equipment and supplies. Nursing homes would cringe at the price of a commercial blender for their residents. They would buy the $20 Walmart blender and burn it up in a couple of days. Then..........they would come back and buy a commercial grade blender and use it for years. My suggestion would be to save up and buy a higher quality blank.

There is cork tape you can use as well, but it will result in a thinner grip.

It is very difficult to retrofit cork onto a rod; it is generally the first thing that goes on a rod while building it, with the reel seat and guides fitted later. So, you would basically have to strip the rod to it's blank and rebuild it.

So not true I have $20 wal mart rods that are 20 years old and have been beaten to death. I give them to noobies who go fishing with me so they don't break my good stuff. Go deep sea fishing on a big charter boat that takes gobs of people out those are cheap ass rods AND reels.

Your blender anology is right about a lot of stuff just not fishing rods. Your $300 st Croix rod will break wayyyyy before say a $30 Ugly Stik.

With rods more money gets you lighter more sensitive blank materials, premium finishes, nicer guides, premium handles and reel seats.

In the rod world more expensive doesn't always mean stronger and more durable.

True fishing with an Ugly Stick may feel like you're using a baseball bat compared to your St. Croix rod ;)

I picked up a couple of Resistance Lightning blanks that I'll be building out as casting rods...

(split-grip; not one big cork handle).

I saw a guy break an Ugly Stick. He was showing off and bent the tip by holding the rod too close to the tip and put too much of an angle on the rod. Craaack!

Those are telescopic rods I think

Yes, they are. But just as good as the two-piece or three-piece rods. Also, more convenient to transport and store.

Got curious- St. Croix Avid carp rods have cork grips. To me, the full length cork is not needed. I build spinning rods with a split grip.

What can I say I am a tradionalist I prefer full length cork handles. Wychwood agitator are like my dream rod but no one had them in the USA and shipping from UK was too much.

I have some (non-carp) telescopic rods; you get what you pay for. Cheap teles = no good. Decent teles = good.

Nash Scope now come with cork handles- not cheap but not as pricey as St. Croix. If you can't get them from Big Carp Tackle, Harris Sportsmail might be worth a try.

I purchased a St. Croix 12' Avid Carp and a 9'6" Avid Carp, Love these Rod's. Had the upper section snap, called St. Croix they Air mailed me a new Section in two day's. Well Worth the Price Tag.