Carp Anglers Group Forums

I am going to try my luck making boilies next weekend.

I'm going to try 1 cup semolina or soya flour (whichever I can find), 1 egg, add water until I can roll them into a ball.

Making some with each:

cinnamon, garlic, cayenne pepper and vanilla

If I can find some bird seed I think I'd mix a little of that in too.

I guess I'll try boiling them for 2 or 3 minutes and then allow to dry overnight.

Any other suggestions for proper technique?

I found this idea on Facebook. I might need to re-evaluate. It's going into my 3rd year carp fishing, so I thought it was time to give it a try.

Mix eggs and wet ingredients thoroughly first. Mix up dry ingredients together and add them bit by bit, first with a fork/whisk and then with your hands. The longer you boil them the more you will take out flavors and attractors. I would start with 90 seconds. You can always leave them to air dry for longer if you want them to be harder in consistency.

I agree don't boil them for 2-3 minutes. boil them less and after getting out of freezer put them in a bag with a bit of oil and a few drops of flavour.

anything you need help regards bait making please don't hesitate to send a pm or post. made so much bait and actually love making it as much as using it!

andrew

Edited by andrewdeeley

Also, if you make a lot ( big batch)and do not own a boilie gun or rolling table, you are going to wish you did. Rolling hundreds of boilies by hand is not fun after the first 25. ha ha making them is the fun part....... rolling.... not so much. IMO

brian , any luck with with making boilies .. hope they came good ? I am also planning to do make my first batch this weekend.. there is lot of info out here on recipes method etc..but wanted to hear some fresh ideas from you :D

GL and share with us how it went...

From my own meagre boilie making endeavors, sieve those dry ingredients and keep accurate notes, e.g. how many grams of X, how many ML of liquids, especially in small batches, it makes a big difference in the final consistency. Look forwards to seeing some of your home-made boilies!

i completely agree .. the first time very small qty for 10~ boilie or so they came very hard .. I was wanting to get something not so hard ..but more like soluble boilie type ..didnt suceed . I will have to do lot of experimenting but with taking notes every time so i know what didnt work and worked .

Also, if you make a lot ( big batch)and do not own a boilie gun or rolling table, you are going to wish you did. Rolling hundreds of boilies by hand is not fun after the first 25. ha ha making them is the fun part....... rolling.... not so much. IMO

Todd, I don't actually mind it so much. I usually make a 2-or-3-egg batch at one time. Depending on the size boilies I want to make, that usually yields 150 to 300 boilies. I prepare my dough in fairly small, narrow-sausage-shaped, pieces first, then cover those with plastic wrap to keep them from drying out (while I'm rolling one of the other pieces). Then I sit in my easy chair and roll them, one at a time, while I watch TV. It's not too bad if you roll them while you're doing something else.

I boil mine in the late evening and let them dry thoroughly overnight, before I bag and freeze them.

I have also flattened my dough with a rolling pin, cut it up into small particles (1/8" - 1/4" squares), then boiled & dried them. They sometimes work well when added to a spod mix, especially if you set aside some of them to use as a pickup on the hair (5%-10%).

Based on the advice in some of these other posts, I've been cooking mine too long. I think I need to cut back on my boiling time.

Not yet Jaffar. I am lining it up for this weekend.

I thought I would be fishing this weekend, but my wife has other ideas.

Good luck on the home mades - it's a great feeling catching on your own. Seems like you don't need to use as many to get bites as well.

You can also freeze the dough if you get fed up rolling- I make a load of dry mix and keep it in a bucket so you can just pull out a six egg mix and make them up as you need. I keep the measurements of the liquids stuck to the side of the bucket.

I am going to try making boilies tomorrow. Today I'm making bbq brisket.

I read Mario's boilie making articles and got some inspiration from his ideas. I am definitely not making 50 lbs. of boilies while still experimenting, but I'm going to make some and then make some more and go from there until I get a reasonable amount made. I don't have all the ingredients he uses, but I have to start with a basic recipe and then I can tweak it as I go.

• corn meal
  • wheat flour
  • jalapenos
  • habaneros
  • cayenne powder
  • white pepper powder
  • whole eggs
  • sesame oil

(Making those peppers into a soupy mixture is the part I am most leery of, but other than scorching them accidentally it doesn't sound like you can mess it up too badly.)

I've had my eye on a spot for a couple of years. It's a body of water with lots of carp, but I've never caught a carp there. I am hoping I can draw them to the area I want to fish and improve the odds a little bit. I'm going to try baiting it up for several days before I go fish it. If can't hurt anything and it just might help.

I was going to post the link to Mario's article, but can't find it again.

I have now completed step 1, 2 and part of 3:

• slicing up jalapenos and habaneros
  • frying them to release some of the oils and juices
  • boiling them to begin making a "soup"

We've got some errands to run so we're going to remove the soup from the heat a while and let it "steep" while we're out. When we are back from lunch I will start the boil again to break down the peppers for a couple more hours.

Then I will use a hand blender to make a "habanero and jalapeno" mush and proceed to step 4; mixing up the dry ingredients.

I plan to combine the eggs to this mushy mixture and thoroughly combine before adding my dry ingredients.

Any thoughts on this plan?

My recipe ended up making 125 boilies averaging 12 - 16 mm with several 20 mm sized boilies mixed in. I'll post the entire recipe and some pictures on my carp fishing blog.

Here are some pictures of my first attempt at homemade boilies

post-8372-0-77858400-1426455191_thumb.jp post-8372-0-38722800-1426455208_thumb.jp post-8372-0-91970500-1426455223_thumb.jp post-8372-0-58713400-1426455237_thumb.jp post-8372-0-88178900-1426455251_thumb.jp post-8372-0-93778000-1426455264_thumb.jp post-8372-0-05499600-1426455281_thumb.jp post-8372-0-24028700-1426455296_thumb.jp

I hope to test them out next weekend. My favorite early year spot is ice free, but public access hasn't been opened up yet as of today.

The mushy mixture is 6 jalapenos and 3 habaneros, fried a little, then boiled to soften them up to make a soupy mix.

Those with more experience might shoot holes in my process, but I gave it a shot.

Don't ask me why I decided to try the Southern Comfort. I was trying to think of something sweet to add a little extra to the boilies and that's what I came up with.

They "look" slightly too wet... but hard to tell from just the photos...

With those peppers, perhaps you should have used tequilla? lol...

hmm nice brian - I did try too but your looks much better than mine ..., I think some adjustment on the mix is needed mine was too Dry so the boilies were crack open when i dry them.

They are not hard by any means. Maybe I should have used more dry ingredients. I boiled for only 90 seconds based on feedback from several different folks.

They "look" slightly too wet... but hard to tell from just the photos...

With those peppers, perhaps you should have used tequilla? lol...

..they look shiny which indicates wetness, just air dry,or what I do on some boilies is roll em in salt, gives attraction and will suck out moisture, preserve the boilies.