Carp Anglers Group Forums
  • Announcements

Savayman

Three Rods in CT!

After several years working with CT DEEP Fisheries I'm delighted to announce that you can now fish THREE rods in the State of Connecticut.

Perhaps even more exciting is the wording that highlights carp fishing and the "strong and passionate following in the USA" and how it has the "potential to enhance tourism in the state".

A big thank-you to all the anglers who helped support this change and made the effort to attend the hearings.

Here is the regulation update:

Section 2. Section 26-112-43 (RCSA) contains definitions and restrictions for a range of fisheries-related terms, gear types and methods. This proposal will 1) increase the number of lines that can be used by an individual angler from two to three lines, 2) add bowfin and tench to
the list of fish that can be taken by spearing, and 3) clarify that the only lamprey species that can be taken by spearing is the sea lamprey.

Increasing the number of lines that can be used by an individual angler is expected to enhance the fishing experience for a number of avid anglers by allowing them to take better advantage of technical methods available to target their select fisheries such as shore-based common carp
angling and trolling for trout in lakes. Although popular in Europe for decades, shore-based catch-and-release carp fishing is just beginning to develop a strong and passionate following in the United States and this type of fishing has the potential to enhance tourism in the state, especially if a third line is allowed for each angler.

Avid trout anglers would enjoy greater flexibility in trolling. As use of more than two lines/rods would be inappropriate in certain shore or wading based trout fisheries, the existing limit would be maintained in most specially designated trout areas.

A s unlikely as they are to be taken by such methods its still a shame bowfin and tench have been added to the list of species that can be taken by spearing as it undermines their true value as sport fish.

Edited by Savayman

Thats great!!! I can't wait to get back to my home state and catch a carp. In 20 years SC might follow... :dry:

Congrats! I like the wording of the red text.

Huge congrats on this. Ct has to be the most progressive state in NE. Unfortunately, RI ranks at the bottom in my book.

Well done Iain. Shows that progress can be made with open dialogue and communication. We can all moan about our own states but it's up to us to get involved and make change happen. I know I'll be following Iain's lead this year and trying to get a dialogue going with Massachusetts Fish and Game. Time to back up the words with actions. CT has set the standard as they also have a catch and release program for their pins and state records. Again, well done Iain.

My advice is to take some or any of the guys in state fishery departments carp fishing... its all down hill from there ;)

Here's Head of Fisheries Biology in CT Bill Gerrish with a new PB Common of 28lb back in 2012

post-479-0-96817800-1425952257_thumb.jpg

Great step forward for sure. We had hoped 3 rods were going to go into effect here in Ohio this year; didn't happen. Rumored surveys showed most anglers didn't want it; exception being Lake Erie charter boats. Has the topic of bow fishing been discussed in CT? Or do you feel it's best not to discuss with them?

I think the key to improving the opportunities for carp fishing will come from understanding the economics in your particular state.

If you can demonstrate that the potential for increased revenue puts rod & line fishing for carp in a stronger position then you have more leverage.

I'm keeping my cards close to my chest right now as I really don't want to reveal too much for fear of it being derailed... Suffice to say that CT Fisheries folk have been very supportive toward looking at carp as a recreational resource and are considering a number of proposals I've put forward.

I don't think we'll see any bans or bow fishing but I'm hopeful we can limit its impact in key areas.

One area that seems to resonate is promoting more catch & release for ALL species. The state spends a lot of money breeding big trout, salmon and even pike and I know like most states their budget is limited.

They seem open to protecting these larger fish (including carp) as modern media allow easy documentation & highlighting of big fish captures instead of killing them. If anglers know these fish are being released to grow bigger it certainly helps promote & attract more anglers and their revenue to the state. So its a win win.

Bob,

Kansas is a 2 rod state. I never fished there and Kansas is the best state in the country for bank anglers, in my opinion. Each county has a state run lake and most have 75% access fishing areas on 100 acre lakes is not unusual..

A few years back the started offering a 3rd rod permit for $5. I've spent $50(including the 3rd rod) every year since for a non-resident KS fishing license.

So maybe a way to get the 3rd rod is just pay a few $'s more? State gets needed funds and we get to upgrade. win-win

Huge congrats on this. Ct has to be the most progressive state in NE. Unfortunately, RI ranks at the bottom in my book.

right behind Mass!!

Fantastic! Now we can only hope that neighbor states will see the light... :rolleyes:

Wow Great Job! It shows we can make great change when we put a united effort together. Congrats to Iain and his supporters. They work hard on this and now we all get to benefit from their work.

AF Bob

right behind Mass!!

MA is a very progressive state........though maybe not on the carp fishing front! ;)

Iain