Carp Anglers Group Forums

I am beginning my 3rd season of carp fishing. I have been tying rigs the last couple of days to prepare for the weather to break. As I was tying some yesterday I realized that I always tie them the same way. I am guessing that might not be the best idea.

The way I tie them is working well for 2 or 3 pieces of corn on a hair rig and it works fairly well with a small dumb bell, but I haven't really had any success at all with a regular 20mm pop up boilie. I'll be the first to admit that I haven't really ever put a lot of thought into it, but for venues that have some vegetation I think I might need to learn some new tricks.

Any suggestions for learning how to tie a proper rig for a pop up? I use a simple bolt rig. It's what I learned first and I haven't learned anything else yet. I experimented last year with some shrink tube in an attempt to keep the hook closer to the boilie, but after hooking several fish that had hook pulls before landing them I gave up on the shrink tube since I obviously didn't know how to use it properly.

I am hoping for some suggestions and/or resources for a better way.

Any kind of vegetation the Chod rig is a good option. It's my go to pop up rig as it can be thrown over almost any debris

Try tying up some Multi-rigs. They can be used for popups as well as bottom baits. They use a rig ring to tie the bait onto, like a D rig.

There are many, many, many different rigs out there. Find two or three you are comfortable with and perfect them. Frank Warwick, Danny Fairbrass, and others who have fished a lot more than us have rather simple rigs that they depend on for 95% of their fishing.