Carp Anglers Group Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lefty

Pre- bait

So last year my per bait was limited to soaked and boiled maize with vanilla or anise oil. This year I'm going to add some pigeon feed to the mix. I've read you don't have to soak or boil just scald the bird feed. Is this correct? I'll continue to use a baiting spoon till I finda better delivery system, but I'm not content with the limited range of the spoon. How do you guys pre-bait? What else can I add to the mix? I was thinking about peanuts. Thoughts?

I use a spod bomb as it's called. You can make one from plastic mesh from the hobby store. Do a search and you should find it. I use flavored boiled cracked corn and range cubes (which are actually cylindrical).

I was actually going to add cracked corn into the mix. Do you prepare it the same way as whole corn? I do have a SPOMB and a spod. thats probably the best way but slow. I spread around 5 lbs. of mix on a couple spots on chosen swim. I do this before work. Gonna have to get up earlier I guess.

Usually with cracked corn I just pour boiling water over it and let it sit over night.

Many, many choices for baiting up depending on what you aim to achieve.

I use a baiting spoon for close range with particles and a spod or spomb to bait up with small bait items at ranges beyond 40 yards. Spod is better if you are trying to bait up in a tight zone because you can clip-up and drop it on more or less the same spot cast after cast. However, spomb has the advantage of little or no off-target spillage compared to spod. I also use a throwing stick and catapult for boilie fishing and have been known to toss out the odd pva bag or method ball now and then. I'm also partial to fishing the margins by light-line float-fishing with a single grain of JGG directly on the hook where there aren't too many snags to worry about. In situations where you are planning to fish for several consecutive days and nights and want to put out a serious amount of bait a canoe takes some beating.......though it can get a bit hairy in a river or on a large lake in strong wind.

Iain

Ground bait with some sweet corn. Not a lot. I don't bait up with particles or boilies anymore.

sorano,

Do you make your own ground bait, or purchase it?

Fisherwood,

I used to make my own. From corn meal to potato flakes or instant potato. shh thats my little secret. ed wagner (sullypool) used to watch me on the bank make up my batch and use to comment how obsessed I was with it. Im obsessed with ground bait and now pack bait. I could sit by the water for hours throwing in my mixes and watching it break down.

Lately, I have been having AMAZING luck with the world classic baits ground bait. sweet corn flavor. It smells great and its kinda neutral in a sense that, you can change the flavor. This past summer I was haulin with it. I even molded it around my method feeder and was catching fish as if I was using pack bait. There 4 season is also good. Great mix.

so my theory is...........chum the water with a ground bait to attract the fish, but, use something better in my pva mix, method feeder or around the lead to entice the strike. so I chum the water with wcb ground bait with sweet corn inside, and use my pack bait ( oats, grits, panko ) on the lead or method feeder. Or ill put the wcb ground bait and see if that works better. so I got the sweet corn in the mix and the wcb ground bait has little seeds and particles in it already. Not really over feeding the fish. Its been working for me.

Sounds like a great strategy! Thanks! (and your secrets are safe with me!) :icon_smoking:

So I put a batch together for the weekend. 2 parts pigeon feed 1 part maize,1 part cracked corn. 20 minutes in the pressure cooker. I put 3 tbs. salt and a couple drips of Anise Oil. I think I overcooked it as the next morning I had to use a stick to free it up for the baiting spoon. Once in the water it was fine. Broke down nice and everything separated. The stuff was pretty dry. Was wondering if I could put it in a PVA bag or mesh. I'm going to try it again the same way. See what it does to pva.

Just ordered some Ulta Essence flavoring to add to my concoction. How far does this stuff go? What would be a good amount for say 3 gals. Of pre-bait? I ordered Scopex and Pineapple . What's a Scopex??

Team Sorano you said you had improved results baiting will ground bait rather than particles/boilies, has the average size fish decreased?